Midget clutch engagement problem

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hemidavey Dave Rudziensky
Grosse Isle, Michigan, USA   USA
Working on a 76 Midget, has new clutch, master, and braided line. I bled the system and the clutch engages just as the pedal comes off the floor. Tried bleeding several times, no improvement. Anyone have this problem?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   USA
If you don't have a lot of play at the master, or at the clutch fork, you still have some air in the system. Or maybe the fork is bent.

noahnsteph Noah Corr
Omaha, Nebraska, USA   USA
You mention the clucth master but have you inspected the slave cylinder?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yes slave is in good shape. There is some play in the clevis pine at top of pedal and some in the pivot. Weird thing I found is the brake pedal is very straight when viewed side, clutch pedal has large arc to it, it hits the accelerator rod , someone ground a divot in the back side of the pedal, Ill try to post pictures. Can someone look compare this to your car to see if this is correct, thanks

side view

Attachments:
midget pedal.jpg    19.5 KB
midget pedal.jpg

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I seem to remember both pedals being of the same contour. I took my pedal box out and found the holes were oblong. Opened them up and pressed in oil lite bushings. Tightened it up a lot. Also replaced the slave rod pin and clevises out on the rod ends at the master. I did have a bent clutch fork and replaced that as well. All this work and still had no clutch. Found out the new slave cylinder I bought from VB had internal flaws! Wouldn't let the slave rod extend out far enough to disengage the clutch disc. New slave from Moss and problem solved. I chased that demon for two summers. Really pissed me off!

Wow, sorry to hear, too long to be off the road and frustrating as too. I found the holes oblong as well. The slave seems ok but I can't be sure. The bent fork scares me... I don't know what it's supposed to look like( some forks are curved) and I'll have to pull the engine, crap. Any chance you have a photo of a good fork. Most cars I've worked on have pedals that have same shape, this one looks weird to me.

Thanks so much, Dave

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Here's what a 1275 ones look like. Anybody need them they're for sale.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    20.2 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    22.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpeg    20.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
And here is what a bent fork looks like. Not good...

Attachments:
IMG_2607.JPG    29.7 KB
IMG_2607.JPG

Thanks so much for help, especially photos. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the arc of the pedals like my photo?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Rick sent me the same photo so I could compare. I still think both the brake and clutch pedal should be the same shape, or the driver would have an issue.

Statestreet Avatar
Statestreet John Lockwood
Tucson AZ, USA   USA
Rick - Is that bent fork from a MKIII or a Midget 1500. On my way to work Monday the MKIII wouldn't release and I think I may have a bent fork.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
That fork was one of the problem's with my '72 when I bought it. 1500 has a completely different mechanism than the A-series, it uses an arm rather than a fork. smileys with beer

In reply to # 3642851 by Statestreet Rick - Is that bent fork from a MKIII or a Midget 1500. On my way to work Monday the MKIII wouldn't release and I think I may have a bent fork.

Good morning everyone, I'm going to try to view the fork to see if its bent. Also wondered if anyone has some pedals I can buy, Id like to go with the straight design so there is no contact with the throttle rod. These clutch issues seem to be common as there are many posts on here with various questions.
Thank you to all

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster