Pros and Cons of Period Correct or High-Tech New Radio

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MGFC Kristoffer O
Orange, NSW, Australia   AUS
I went with a bluetooth receiver plugged straight to a stereo amp mounted in the boot. Music is via smartphone which syncs to the bluetooth unit when i turn the ignition on.
Pros: A modern sound system and my dash looks stock. No gaudy led lights which seems standard on any of the new headunits.
cons: The wiring was a bit of a pain i guess.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
miatadon Avatar
miatadon Silver Member Don Scott
Calistoga, California, USA   USA
You can send your period-correct radio to these guys. My '67 B has a BMC radio that was redone by them, and it's pretty cool. But it wasn't cheap either.

http://www.turnswitch.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-07 02:28 AM by miatadon.

Gokart Avatar
Gokart Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
I put one of these in my MGB. They are small, has Bluetooth, takes a SD and MM card, has a FM radio that tunes in in about a minute to all local stations and has a remote control.

I put mine on the side of my radio console or you can hide one pretty much out of sight where ever you want.

I had to make a power adapter for it as it comes with a cable to plug it into house supply through a 12V transformer. I also extended the flexible wire aerial. Quite simple to do with a few of parts from hobby electrical supply store.

Cheers Rob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Lepy.jpg    42.7 KB
Lepy.jpg

CMCon98 Colin C
Dedham, Massachusetts, USA   USA
Why not have the original radio fixed and keep it in the dash with the original speaker, and install a separate, hidden bluetooth receiver and amp connected to hidden modern speakers. (Google 'hidden car audio')Then you can play music or stream radio from your phone or ipod and have it sound decent without changing the esthetics of the dash or attracting thieves. Personally, I think a modern radio with a digital screen looks ridiculous in a 1960s car.

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
It's not like these were even good radios for the day. You could get such a nice unit, with SD slots, Blue tooth, aux. inputs, GPS, for so little, why bother? You're not flipping the car, right? You're going to drive it, make it easy to work or your passenger to work.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Gokart Avatar
Gokart Rob Illingworth
Palmerston North, Manawatu, New Zealand   NZL
Just check the depth. I don't know about Midgets but the MGB has limited space for depth. 5.375" may be to deep.

Cheers Rob

Majcd213 Mike Carter J
Merrow, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi- whats the status of DAB radio over the pond? (digital audio broadcast) Here in the UK FM stations are likely to stop broadcasting in the next few years and there is a push to change to DAB. There are fortunately plenty of DAB converters available and these receive the digital signal and then rebroadcast it locally to be received in an unused part of the FM spectrum by your old FM radio. Gives a good upgrade although you need a new aerial.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster