Pros and Cons of Period Correct or High-Tech New Radio

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

2manycars2 Ernie Peters
Edwardsville, Illinois, USA   USA
The Continental-branded radio that was in my 1974 Midget when I purchased it does not work. It turns on, but no signal is sent to the two functioning speakers in the rear trunk panel. The rest of the car is unmolested, and I would like to keep the radio period correct. I also recognize the value of having the latest radio, with Bluetooth/USB/etc.

Who here has gone through the pros and cons of upgrading to a "new" radio, and what information can you share with me to help with my decision?

I would like to reinstall the radio console (removed for interior refresh), but prefer to leave it out until I decide on a radio. In the meantime, I am driving it with the hazard switch connected to the wiring harness, which I stuffed into the glove box, so that I have functioning turn signals.

Thanks in advance.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2492.jpg    31.1 KB
IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg    45.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2manycars2 Ernie Peters
Here is the Continental radio that was in the car when I got it.

Attachments:
0357E03D-63D7-4E03-B72A-97F477598AA9.jpeg    25.1 KB
0357E03D-63D7-4E03-B72A-97F477598AA9.jpeg

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
If you are interested I have two of these radios. They are NOS, never installed in a car, I did hook one up to see if it worked and it does.They are Clarion, made in Japan and were factory replacements for Datsun. There are no knobs, faceplate or harness but they should be available if yours don't fit. The biggest difference is that the tuner dial is flush with the body, not protruding like yours. $50.00 gets one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0285.JPG    43.3 KB
IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG    41.8 KB
2manycars2 Ernie Peters
Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it at some point.

Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, Maine, USA   USA
Your Continental radio came with your car, but it was a dealer add-on. There were many different brands of radios installed by dealers, depending on where they bought them. There was also a BL (British Leyland) radio that many dealers installed, that would be more "correct" for your car. The picture is of a BMC (British Motor Co) radio for an earlier Midget.

Have you checked the many places that can take your original radio and put all the new features inside it and have its exterior unchanged?

Attachments:
DSC03836.JPG    37.1 KB
DSC03836.JPG

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
rsvmgb1974 Silver Member Robert Vining
Capon Bridge, Capon Bridge, USA   USA
Thankfully the PO's of my 1977 Midget never changed out the radio and I believe it is the original British Leyland. I seldom if ever listen to the radio when I'm driving, but it works well on both am and fm.

Attachments:
Midget console 010.JPG    52 KB
Midget console 010.JPG

Midget console fini 002.JPG    60.4 KB
Midget floors 007.JPG    55.2 KB
Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, Virginia, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
I am going to replace my original radio in my 79. I an going to use a radio delete plate and then mount a modern radio in the glove box

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

ldivi2 louis d
long island, ny, USA   USA
I would either leave the radio for estetics or replace with MG blanking plate. I installed a modern remote control disc/stick radio connected to speakers in the doors and side walls behind seats. Have also seen boot/trunk radios.

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
I suggest that you suit your own taste. Personally, my ‘78 1500 has the stock dealership am/fm push button radio, with antenna installed on left from fender, which I can reach while driving if I want to raise it. My personal opinion for convertibles and other noisy (if not loud little Brit cars—such as classic minis) is that we should be listening to the engine, exhaust, gears and the great outdoors. Leave the radio in the console, but who cares if it works. If I need music, i use my Apple AirPods with the phone and it’s much better sounding than cranking up the OEM single speaker. And, if the holes aren’t cut into the doors or behind the seats, I’d much rather have intact panels rather than butchered for 2nd rate radio “upgrades.” Maybe I’m showing my age by preferring to listen to the car versus top 40 or am radio.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
My new SUV came with a Bose system, It probably sounds pretty good, maybe I'll turn it on someday.

2manycars2 Ernie Peters
In reply to # 3640029 by Midgies Dad Your Continental radio came with your car, but it was a dealer add-on. There were many different brands of radios installed by dealers, depending on where they bought them. There was also a BL (British Leyland) radio that many dealers installed, that would be more "correct" for your car. The picture is of a BMC (British Motor Co) radio for an earlier Midget.

Have you checked the many places that can take your original radio and put all the new features inside it and have its exterior unchanged?

I worked for a foreign car parts supplier - Louis Foreign Car Parts - in the early '70s. We sold "Bowman"-branded radios to many dealers, including VW and Datsun. My favorite was a 4-channel quadrasonic radio, one of which I installed in my '71 Mercury Capri. Nice sound for the time.

My Midget was originally purchased at Continental Cars, In St. Louis, Mo, probably the reason for the "Continental" radio it had in it.

2manycars2 Ernie Peters
In reply to # 3640061 by rsvmgb1974 Thankfully the PO's of my 1977 Midget never changed out the radio and I believe it is the original British Leyland. I seldom if ever listen to the radio when I'm driving, but it works well on both am and fm.

I probably will not listen to my radio (whatever I decide on) either. It's the fact that the car came with one that is causing me to want to have a functional one.

2manycars2 Ernie Peters
In reply to # 3640336 by Colonel musturd 79 I am going to replace my original radio in my 79. I an going to use a radio delete plate and then mount a modern radio in the glove box

I am thinking about doing this, still undecided.

ntorch Avatar
ntorch n torch
Blandon, PA, USA   USA
This is the radio that came in my 1976 Midget. Here's a listing for one on ebay. I think you should be able to find one cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-BRITISH-LEYLAND-TRIUMPH-TR-6-GT6-JAGUAR-V12-MG-MIDGET-MGB-GT-AM-FM-RADIO/162787471087?hash=item25e6e3aeef:g:H24AAOSwFO5aG3c1

1976 MG Midget--Original Tundra Green Paint

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 06:16 PM by ntorch.

Attachments:
s-l1600 (13).jpg    44.3 KB
s-l1600 (13).jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster