AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
Here’s a snapshot of my 1978 1500.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
85E3F505-6B62-455D-BA56-6898F6569831.jpeg    32 KB
85E3F505-6B62-455D-BA56-6898F6569831.jpeg

dimini Avatar
dimini Don Ipock
Kansas City, MO, USA   USA
Here’s another view of my 1978 1500. The 38year old rubber fittings where the visor clips into are no longer holding their shape and I was going to replace them, but read in my shop manual an advisory to be careful not to use pop rivets on replacement clips as it’s easy to break the windshield. That was good enough warning for me to leave it well alone for now and merely shim up the visor peg’s diameter w/some electrical tape. It now holds well enough to ignore and not risk breaking the original windshield.

Attachments:
00915AF7-863B-4B9A-A2A1-6F68C9B81164.jpeg    39.1 KB
00915AF7-863B-4B9A-A2A1-6F68C9B81164.jpeg

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Here is what I've used on those pesky old rubber stays. Clip these over the rubber with the visor in place. Remove the stainless steel tangs. Bob's yer uncle! You have to save the ss tangs in order to open these binder clips and swing your visor down to lower your convertible top. No biggy. About $1.50 each.http://www.mgexp.com/phile/3/455030/binder_clip_for_visor.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-06 12:41 PM by littlecars.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
binder clip for visor.jpg    2.3 KB
binder clip for visor.jpg

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Don - thanks for the pictures. So, looks like all later cars had a frame similar to mine, so the mounting blocks--whoever made them--would work. Of course, one wouldn't have shading to the side, but I'm more concerned with being unable to see where I'm going.

David - nice. Sometimes, low-tech is the way to go!

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
All frames were the same from 64-65 model year on to the end of production. The only difference was the addition of the mounts for the visor posts on the ends, and the silly rubber keepers toward the center by the rearview mirror/center post--which, come to think of it, also changed during those years to comply with Federal standards for safety. But I digress...

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3640962 by littlecars All frames were the same from 64-65 model year on to the end of production. The only difference was the addition of the mounts for the visor posts on the ends, and the silly rubber keepers toward the center by the rearview mirror/center post--which, come to think of it, also changed during those years to comply with Federal standards for safety. But I digress...

Actually, a useful digression. Looks like only those folks with 64-65 cars until the addition of the mounts would benefit from the little blocks. Good to know.

I think I can have a profile cut on the CNC mill, which could also drill and tap the set screw holes along its length before the parts are sliced off. Then, the through hole for the visor mounting rod would be drilled in a drill press by hand, I guess. The machinist is likely to come up with a more efficient sequence of routines, but that's one way to do it...

Joel

Member Services:
S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Joel, personally I wouldn't bother with visors and I have three 64/65 cars. If I really thought visors were necessary I would have changed windshields to the later type when i reworked the cars. I have a pile of good windshields in there frames. Good caps with visors or an excuse to stop for a few minutes when the sun is directly in my eyes and on the horizon are all I need. Personally I'd be more interested in a way to dim the non dimming rear view mirrors of the older cars. I wear full mesh caps in the summer time and around town when the giant SUV or pickup has their lights right in my eyes I hang my hat over the mirror. Cuts the glare but I can still see behind me just fine. I would like to see someone make a little sleeve out of the same materiel that one could tie to the mirror stalk that would slide off and on easily. Probably need to make a prototype.

Kurt.

Statestreet Avatar
Statestreet John Lockwood
Tucson AZ, USA   USA
When my visor end rubbers gave out (and the hinge posts too,for that matter) I just drilled out the rivets and used screws to hold them in place. If you don't go with too long a screw you should not have an issue with damaging the windshield glass.

Yankeedriver Avatar
In reply to # 3641105 by S1 Elan Joel, personally I wouldn't bother with visors and I have three 64/65 cars. If I really thought visors were necessary I would have changed windshields to the later type when i reworked the cars. I have a pile of good windshields in there frames. Good caps with visors or an excuse to stop for a few minutes when the sun is directly in my eyes and on the horizon are all I need. Personally I'd be more interested in a way to dim the non dimming rear view mirrors of the older cars. I wear full mesh caps in the summer time and around town when the giant SUV or pickup has their lights right in my eyes I hang my hat over the mirror. Cuts the glare but I can still see behind me just fine. I would like to see someone make a little sleeve out of the same materiel that one could tie to the mirror stalk that would slide off and on easily. Probably need to make a prototype.

Kurt.

Yeah, I just pivot mine on the rod a hair when hit with the jacked up truck lights behind me. I like the way mine looks without visors but would like at least one for the driver. As Chuck and have been discussing, a red plexiglass with a nice profile might look spiffy. We'll see...

I sold the 4-speed from my '67 together with an extra 5-speed Datsun to a guy in AZ who runs a plastics manufacturing shop, so maybe I'll pick his brain for the right material.

Joel

Member Services:
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Joel, if you make the blocks, you will also be solving another issue has evolved since the cars were made. When you buy new visors now from the usual suspects, oftentimes the rod that goes into the rubber keeper is too short. With your blocks, they could be slid left or right to compensate and make for a snug fit. BTW if anyone cares, I found two examples of the early 1960's AMCO catalog that show plexiglass visors for Spites and Midgets. I wouldn't say they have a "nice profile" but they would be a period-correct accessory and do the job. Perhaps fleaBay or Craigslist (nationwide) would offer some for sale?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
David, I saw the Amco catalog from your page one post. Kind of hard to see how they were mounted. Have you more pages from the Amco catalog? Be nice if they were easily mounted and removed while driving. have you a web address for GB Spares?

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Here is Gary Booker's eBay store. Give him a shout, not everything in his inventory is listed. Nice fellow, purchased a bunch of AMCO stuff from a couple of major liquidations. He is currently listing an NOS Midget rear bumper overrider for early cars that I would love to have.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/gbspares/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Thanks David. Checked out his stock but didn't see any Amco sun visors.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Here is his direct email: gary_booker@msn.com

Tell him David Bassett in Tennessee sent you specifically for those AMCO accessory sunvisors. He may even have more than one set. Judging by the catalog they had more colors than what was shown on the pimped-out catalog car.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Chuck, PM sent to you.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster