AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

No sun visors
  This topic is about my 1961 MG Midget MkI
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Having a '61 that doesn't have sun visors build into the windshield. Is there something that can be added that looks decent? Or should I just pull down my cap visor and live with it?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
You may still be able to find some NOS Amco sunvisors that would be period correct. They were offering them in their catalog for Mk I before the factory started installing them. My 1965 doesn't have them either.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Here is an old AMCO catalog from a listing on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Sprite-MK-II-MG-Midget-c1960-AMCO-Accessories/322908700306?hash=item4b2edbbe92:m:m2CcPqkWRC21w16Es8MUqaw&vxp=mtr

Looks like they are tinted plexi (grrr). There are a lot of oddball things that show up from this period. You could also try GB Spares. Gary has been known to stumble across old AMCO stuff for foreign cars in the past.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I don;t have any on mine and while I do wish at times I did. I just cap it and call it a day.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
I bought brand new sun visors for my Midget when I first restored it. After driving it like that for a few summers I took them off: they get in the way, don't block the sun in any meaningful manner and finally serve no real purpose.

A baseball cap works much, much better.

Norm "no visors" Kerr

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks guys.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
PITA when lowering the top. And once snapped in and out enough over 50 years the rubber keepers on the windshield header stop doing their intended job.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I'm in the same boat with no visors. Don't miss them but you might want to get hold of an older base ball cap. They had better visors than what's out there now. I picked up an original factory Austin Healey cap on flea bay a while back. Looks pretty antique but, hey, its being worn by an antique!grinning smiley

Kurt.

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
In reply to # 3637810 by Chas 906 Having a '61 that doesn't have sun visors build into the windshield. Is there something that can be added that looks decent? Or should I just pull down my cap visor and live with it?

Chuck,

Do you have the little aluminum blocks with which to mount visors to the windshield frame? Or are you just missing the visors themselves?

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Hi Joel. I have no aluminum blocks and no visors.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Just a sun burnt forehead!

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
In reply to # 3638204 by Chas 906 Hi Joel. I have no aluminum blocks and no visors.

Charles,

The reason I ask is that I've got three of the four little blocks that slide around and can be cinched down wherever you want, and which I assume receive the ends of the visor rods. I was thinking of making some up, as I really want visors, and may make a few extra while I'm at it if people would want them.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Joel, can you put up a few pics showing the blocks mounted on the windshield? I'd be interested in getting a set but would like to see how they are set up. As a retired machinist I enjoyed your company web page.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
Joel,

'61's never had visors and I don't think there's room to mount the blocks. The frame is only 1/4" wide at the inside top.

Chuck,

You need one of these (second photo).

Attachments:
IMG_2973.jpeg    29.2 KB
IMG_2973.jpeg

IMG_2542.JPG    43.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Hi Chuck, you can still buy anti glare strips like vinyl that just stick to the glass along the top of the screen,

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster