Studs in floor panel

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rockmidget Peter Rock
Wausau, WI, USA   USA
I am doing some floor panel replacement on a '59 BE. Two opinions being sought by all the experts out there:
1: What are the two studs shown on this picture used for, located next to bottom spring plates.
2: I have the car in a rotisserie, bottom is easily accessible. I am drilling out spot welds on drivers side floor panel. Only the foot well area is bad, plus some of the outer panel near the back, around where I have shown on the picture. I am a decent welder (MIG). I have available to use, replacement floor panels from newer sprite. They are new, came with some parts in a deal. The front section looks like it is an exact match. If I use the back section, it has some large access holes, maybe different cut outs for spring box? Should I just order new BE panel, or should I modify the ones I have to fit. Budget is a little bit of an issue, hate to buy something very similar to something I already have.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-22 09:21 AM by rockmidget.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
bottom plate.JPG    55.9 KB
bottom plate.JPG

200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Peter,

IIRC, Instead of a "spring box", later Spridgets used a thick steel plate to mount the front eye of the 1/2 elliptic leaf spring to the floor pan.

If your panel is the same except for those holes, the simplest thing to do would be to just fill the extra holes in.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

rockmidget Peter Rock
Wausau, WI, USA   USA
That's what I was thinking also. What are the studs for, don't think the new panels have them?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
IIRC when I asked that question last year the best guess was they were used only during original assembly.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
In reply to # 3632246 by rhodyspit75 IIRC when I asked that question last year the best guess was they were used only during original assembly.

If you look at this factory assembly photo, something has to be securing the body shell tight against the jig at the rear, perhaps in front of the wheel arch (?) Note how they raised the front in a primitive way and nothing protecting or holding the car down from above.

Attachments:
Bugeye during assembly.jpg    51.4 KB
Bugeye during assembly.jpg

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
This shot doesn't show any fixture mounting at that place.

Attachments:
IMG_2875.jpg    56.1 KB
IMG_2875.jpg

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I've never been able to find a definitive answer to the question of the studs. Even the most expert or even people that worked at BMC have ever been able to answer this question. I have to assume it was for some assembly or shipping situation, but never been able to confirm it.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
Nothing in this shot either. Looks like the bodies are only racked on something from the front.

Attachments:
IMG_2876.PNG    43.6 KB
IMG_2876.PNG

rockmidget Peter Rock
Wausau, WI, USA   USA
While we are still on the subject, the plate next to the studs is giving me a headache to remove. I ground out a couple of welds, is there a hidden weld under the reinforcement on the inner side of the plate? Thing wont budge.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
There are two holes in the inner brace. These are welded through to the piece you are trying to remove. You can see the remains of those welds in this picture.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    56.2 KB
image.jpeg

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Reviving this thread, only because lo and behold this picture exists in Section R.10, figure R.8 of the "body" section of the factory Sprite and Midget shop manual, printed in Cowley, England. "BODY ALIGNMENT CHECKING JIG."

Attachments:
Sprite body jig.pdf    76.9 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster