AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Crossover port on HD muffler
  This topic is about my 1979 MG Midget
tgsanford Avatar
tgsanford Tim Sanford
Georgetown, TX, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget "Ruby"
I purchased a new HD muffler off eBay and it has a crossover port. What if anything do I need to do before installing this on my Midget? Does it require a plug? Does it matter?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, New Hampshire, USA   USA
You will need to plug the port. They are there to balance the pulses, of the vee twin. I have a can off a Yamaha FJ-1200, only one inlet and outlet, because the bike had a four into one pipe on it, but I still had to cut off the inlet pipe, and re-weld, because the angle was not quite correct to meet the pipe under the car.
I would think a MIG welder would work, but TIG would be a little nicer. No one is going to see it any whosmoking smiley

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Tim, I had the same type of HD pipe. Take a quarter, or one of those plugs that pop out of an electrical work box, and JB weld it into the hole of the port. I did this in 2013. No issues for four years and the muffler just came off last week (scrapped the Purple Rat Rod) without the plug falling out. I believe it faces the fuel tank though, so welding something in might be the BETTER work around!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 03:16 PM by littlecars.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Post a pic please. Does it have a cat in it?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster