Changing to VR1

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
I used to use Valvoline 10w-40 oil engine plus ZDDP but now I'm going to switch to valvoline VR1 20w-50 is this okay?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
That’s all I’ve used in my 1275

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
20W50 is what the factory recommends and Valvoline VR1 has the proper amount of ZDDP in it. thumbs up

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jacob1500 Gold Member Jacob Crittenden
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Yes.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Any idea to flush out the old oil out of engine?

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Just get the engine up to normal operating temperature, then change the oil and filter. No need for any special flush.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3608854 by refisk Just get the engine up to normal operating temperature, then change the oil and filter. No need for any special flush.

I have an oil cooler radiator on my car, so do I need to flush out the oils which are in the radiator?? I mean there will be oil in the cooler right? Is it important to flash II out?

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
An oil cooler does complicate things a little, as simply changing the oil and filter usually doesn't get it all changed. Most oil coolers are mounted low enough that they won't drain when you drain the oil from the pan. The only way to easily change all the oil would be to change the oil, get the engine back up to operating temperature, and then change it again.

That said, Valvoline 10W40 is close enough to VR1 20W50 that I wouldn't worry about it. Just do a normal oil and filter change and you should be good.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
...and since an oil cooler that is over cooling the is more damaging than no cooler at all, a cooler should be fitted with a thermostat, which further complicates getting all of the old oil out (because the oil in the cooler doesn't circulate except after the thermostat is opened at operating temperature, so you can't simply tip it out when the engine is off).

As Rick said, one option is to change it twice, if the current oil is really dirty. If the current oil is not dark, then I agree with him, simply change the oil once and don't think about it any more.

My engine oil kept getting dark shortly after each oil change, due to the stored amount of old, dirty oil in it, so I finally took the cooler off completely (and fitted the hard pipe from the pump to the filter, in its place). Modern oils don't need a cooler anyway.

N

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Some people saying after you flush out the oil and before you put the new oil just start the car for like 2 sec this way more oil will be flushed out. What you think, is this safe?

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   USA
Like was said, just change the oil and filter. You were already using ZDDP anyway. Don't start after draining.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
x2 what James said, it is NEVER ok to run an engine with no oil in it, no matter for how short a time

Mojan, maybe the person who had suggested that to you had meant for you to remove all of the spark plugs first, and then spin the motor with no load. That is safe, and is how one brings up the oil pressure on a new engine before starting for the first time. But, in the case you described, with no oil in the sump, it wouldn't do what you were intending. All that would do is to push out what oil is in the pump, it won't do anything about what is in the cooler (or anywhere else) since there won't be any oil in to push it out with.

N

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Thanks ALL

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster