MGExp

MG Midget Forum

how do I get the radiator past the fan and cross member for removal?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mike3272 Michael Blanchard
Bridgewater Township, New Jersey, USA   USA
Trying to pull the radiator out of my 76 midget without removing the cross member or fan is it possible, without causing damage?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
khallam Kurtis Hallam
Lincoln, California, USA   USA
Very carefully. I know that isn't much help but I just pulled mine to switch out the water pump and it is a very snug fit. I think I accidentally hit the radiator against the fan a couple of times, luckily not too much damage. You can' gently bend the top of the (i'm going to call it a crossmember) metal that the radiator connects to in front. Take off all the hoses and it gives you a little more mobility in the slot. I had to slide it back and forth until I could get it just right and then slowly slid it out. Sorry if that isn't too much help.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
please don't bend the top of the radiator shroud (most of our cars have had that done to them by at least one DPO), it creases it permanently

In a ratty old beater, sure, bend away, but it is a hack way to do it if your car is a cherished classic.

The correct way to remove the radiator is to remove the entire shroud with it. Unfortunately, that requires removing 6 (or is it 8?) fasteners, instead of just the 4 holding the radiator to the shroud. Each of them is a hassle to get to, and some require long extensions and removal of other parts to get clear access to.

this is why so many simply bend the top of the shroud instead

N

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
khallam Kurtis Hallam
Lincoln, California, USA   USA
Sorry, to clarify I was not talking about the shroud. I DEFINITELY did NOT bend the shroud. I took the whole shroud out with the radiator. It is a patience game. Just keep slowly working at it and the radiator will come out. I did not bend anything taking the radiator out (even though I mentioned you can).

Floydinit Avatar
Floydinit Bob Rank
Waldorf, MD, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "Silver Ghost"
1994 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 "Blue Beast"
1995 Chevrolet Corvette "Babs Toy"
Or you can put a hinge on it for easy access.....Bob

Attachments:
2014-09-14 12.04.28.jpg    41.5 KB
2014-09-14 12.04.28.jpg

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I altered this 1/4" drive socket so I could use it with an open end wrench and short enough to have the clearance needed to get on the fan screws and off again when the screws are loose. This allows me to install and remove the fan with the radiator in place. It works with my 74 not sure it would work with a later car. With the belt off or loose I can spin the fan to remove or install the screws.

Tom Smith
1974 Midget
1976 TR6

Attachments:
IMG_6587.JPG    29.5 KB
IMG_6587.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG    30.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_6589.JPG    24.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, New Hampshire, USA   USA

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
I'd take the fan off. Loosening a belt is no big deal. Bending those cooling fins is.

Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, Virginia, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
On a 1500 the clearance between the clutch fan and the radiator is very tight , to remove the radiator with the least risk of damsge is to remove the water pump and housing then you have so much more room to get the radiator out of the body . I know it is the long way around but unless you have help it is the safest way.

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster