MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Tires. I know this has been beaten to death here, but.........

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
rsvmgb1974 Silver Member Robert Vining
Capon Bridge, Capon Bridge, USA   USA
What is the best size tires for a Midget (mine is a '77) intended just for street use.

Prices are all over the place, any where from $26 each on up.

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
SWA cars are more tire-width-sensitive than the 1972-74 RWA cars.

IMHO, 155/80R13 should fit no problem, and probably 165/70 if you can find them. 175/70 may or may not fit, 185/70 probably not.

Get the highest speed rating you can find, that will mean more of a handling tread, not so much an all-season tire with big gaps between the tread blocks.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
In reply to # 3605760 by 200mph SWA cars are more tire-width-sensitive than the 1972-74 RWA cars.

IMHO, 155/80R13 should fit no problem, and probably 165/70 if you can find them. 175/70 may or may not fit, 185/70 probably not.

Get the highest speed rating you can find, that will mean more of a handling tread, not so much an all-season tire with big gaps between the tread blocks.

Thanks Mike. Maybe these?

https://simpletire.com/achilles-155-70r13-maf157013-tires

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
minimarc Avatar
minimarc Bob Marcum
BREVARD, North Carolina, USA   USA
Don't forget......wheel size and offset , wire vs steel wheels, will come into play in making your selection.

Bob Marcum

1959 AH Bugeye Sprite
1960 Morris Minor Tourer
Ex Mini Vintage Racer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-08 08:59 AM by minimarc.

Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, Maine, USA   USA
155/70R13 is going to be much smaller than the tires that came originally on your car. 155/80R13 is what you want.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
yawn, this topic comes up frequently enough it ought to be a sticky

smiling smiley

Here is a list (attached below) from a catalog of the original 13" size, and closest alternative sizes (ignore the 14" portion which is for MGBs).

Also, here is a link to (one of the many) tire size estimators from the internet (google "tire size calculator"winking smiley:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

N

Attachments:
tire sizes.pdf    169.8 KB

Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, Virginia, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
I have 175/70R 13 on my 79 SWA with Rostyle rims, no problems

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

Attachments:
001.JPG    46.8 KB
001.JPG

002.JPG    47.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
patrickhenryhague Patrick Hague
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
I hope this helps, what I run on my Sprite Is 175/70/13! I like the larger size. Now the car has to be in alignment and I used poly urethane bushings, problem solved, car drives nice, better freeway cruising. By the way I've put over 30,000 of the car with the larger tires the rubbed until I redid the bushings.

patrickhenryhague Patrick Hague
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
Oops! I run Minitators on all 4 wheels they a little wider than the factory wheels.

matmire Avatar
matmire Matt Meyer
Studio City, California, USA   USA
Kumho Solus 155/80R13 is a fairly common choice, and aren't too expensive. TireRack

or if you want to get fancy grab some coker whitewalls... CokerTire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 02:58 PM by matmire.

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Silver Member Dave Rhine
South, Carolina, USA   USA
155/80 x 13 Uniroyal Tiger Paws 24psi front/26psi rear...fit, ride & handle great!

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

Attachments:
IMG_0301.JPG    51.2 KB
IMG_0301.JPG

hpmowog Avatar
hpmowog Karl Keiger
165/65R13 fits pretty well too.

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
Thanks for all your reply's. I just got this thing back on four rather bad wheels and tires. Lot's of tread, but winter tires that must have been put on just before it was put away some 20 years ago, lot's of dry rot and they can't be trusted. They make great roll-a-rounds though while I do body work.

Forgot to mention the new tires will go on Minilites from Moss.

Attachments:
Midget oil,ZS 003.JPG    38 KB
Midget oil,ZS 003.JPG

miamimini Carlos Hernandez
Palmetto Bay, Florida, USA   USA
I've been driving my 62 Sprite with the same tires for more than 10 years and the PO must have had them for another 10 years. The treads look great but I'm concerned with rubber compound deterioration. I read that you can't simply go by tread appearance. I don't put many miles on the Sprite, but I do typically take the highway and travel at speeds in excess of 55 mph. Given the lack of safety features in these old cars, a tire blowout can be ugly.

Sorry for the long-winded intro to simply say I want to get new tires. I see several options, but i'd like to get a tire with a name on it that was around when the car was not considered a classic. The option I'm considering is the Coker Firestone F560 Radial Tire 145R13. At $70 each, they are in my price range.

I have original steel wheels and may consider minilte type wheels. I have two questions:

1. Is the F560 145R13 a good size for my original steel wheels? The chart posted by Ker suggest they are (if I'm reading correctly).
2. Any suggestions on minilte wheel size/offset to keep the original look and where to buy (OK , 3 questions).

Thanks!

Carlos
62 Sprite 948 (wish it was a 1275)
80 Mini ARHD 998 (... 1275)
64 Spitfire Rust Bucket Project

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
That tire, Coker F560 145R13, should fit very well.

The width of the tire will be ever so slightly wider than original (original 5.20, Coker F560 145R13 says theirs is 5.40, or 0.2" wider).
The rolling diameter will be slightly smaller than original (original 22.5", Coker F560 145R13 says theirs is 22.29, or -0.21"winking smiley.

The slight width increase is inconsequential because the tire is designed to fit your stock 4" rim width (OK). The slight diameter reduction will be like a very slight rear end final gear ratio change (your engine will turn a little faster, and your speedometer will read a little slower). You can use a tire size calculator (google it) to do the math and tell you by how much, but it will be a small amount.

N

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster