Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
So I haven't posted on here in quite a long time, though I have dropped in for a read from time to time. My wife and I had an accident in my MG Midget a few years ago. I kept the wreck, and bought a RWA project to replace it, but got distracted for a couple of years with a Corvette... Anyway, I've been working on the Midget during my limited free time again this year, and finally got some primer on the exterior over the past weekend. Thought I'd start a thread on here to document my progress and help keep me motivated. I can't wait to drive it again! The Vette is great, but can't match the fun factor of the Midget!

It's great to still see a lot of familiar names still on here...

Before:

The badness (edited to links so I don't have to keep seeing the photos) Warning, graphic crashed Midget content sad smiley:

http://i1053.photosucket.com/albums/s475/metalhead140/temporary_zpsbjfnbu93.jpg

http://i1053.photosucket.com/albums/s475/metalhead140/temporary_zpsxszf15us.jpg

The replacement:

The distraction (which I did complete suspension/steering/diff rebuilds and upgrades on, and built a very healthy engine with fuel injection and a 5 speed box):

Work so far:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 08:48 PM by metalhead.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
Continued...:

Any input appreciated!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 06:21 AM by metalhead.

btinsley Avatar
btinsley Bishop Tinsley Jr
GA, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Dino"
Cheers,

Welcome back! Sorry to hear when life gets in the way like that, but important thing is a safe return. So what color is this? or is it still primer? If it is, what color are you going with? Wish i had body & paint skills (with room for a temp enclosure) smiling bouncing smiley

I suppose you'll be preserving some of the old midget in the new one. Only makes sense since you had a fetching midget to start. Look forward to seeing as you move along - great start already! smileys with beer

bishop

you can't trump the amusement of reality

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 08:41 AM by btinsley.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3593873 by btinsley Cheers,

Welcome back! Sorry to hear when life gets in the way like that, but important thing is a safe return. So what color is this? or is it still primer? If it is, what color are you going with? Wish i had body & paint skills (with room for a temp enclosure) smiling bouncing smiley

I suppose you'll be preserving some of the old midget in the new one. Only makes sense since you had a fetching midget to start. Look forward to seeing as you move along - great start already! smileys with beer

Thanks! The yellow/cream colour is high fill primer, the final colour will be the gloss black shown in the engine bay. I've actually never done a 'proper' paint job before, though I did repair the rust on my old f250 and spray it in satin black using a paint similar to rustoleum about 6 years ago, and it's held up pretty well. I'm hoping it'll turn out ok...? The 'paintbooth' is one of those temporary garages sold at cheap auto parts stores, and lots of plastic drop sheets, set up inside my garage.

Yes, a lot of the original car will be going in this one, almost all of it in fact - the healthy 1330cc engine, 5 speed (Toyota) box, 3.7 diff, and some of the suspension, with some damaged parts replaced and some additional upgrades added. Most of the interior too, though I'm thinking of fitting some Cobra Classic bucket seats with headrests, harnesses, and a roll bar for a bit of added peace of mind. You may notice the 15" wire wheels in one of the pics too, they fit great with a little stretching of the guards.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
I found that the Cobra fixed back seats make the driver's position suitable for 'shorter' drivers (I'm 6') only. I put a mismatched pair in my MKII Sprite, and found it a bit of an ordeal to get in and out compared to my BE. Just a bit to think about before dropping coin on seats you may or may not like.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3594585 by AN5L8016 I found that the Cobra fixed back seats make the driver's position suitable for 'shorter' drivers (I'm 6') only. I put a mismatched pair in my MKII Sprite, and found it a bit of an ordeal to get in and out compared to my BE. Just a bit to think about before dropping coin on seats you may or may not like.

Thanks for the feedback Mark. I am shorter than you, but had thought the Cobra seats would actually be better than the Mk3 Midget seats, which have quite a thick backrest - I believe thicker than the Cobra buckets. Having said that, I know the early seats have a much thinner back, probably thinner than the Cobra Classic seats?

I've sat in the Cobra Classics in a showroom and found them comfortable, but haven't tried them in a car. I did expect them to make it a little more difficult to get in and out of the car, but hoped it wouldn't be too bad. Do you find them comfortable once seated in the car?

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
Not as much progress this weekend as I would have liked, the weather was very hot and windy making work in the garage pretty unpleasant. But I got the primer knocked back to where I think it is pretty good, and this evening I put a guide coat on the car, so I can sand it back and make sure I find any missed any scratches or chips. I'll admit, I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm hopeful it will turn out ok...

Attachments:
WP_20170924_18_34_05_Pro.jpg    31.6 KB
WP_20170924_18_34_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20170924_20_44_27_Pro.jpg    32.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
opieshuffle Avatar
opieshuffle Chris Elkerton
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hey Andrew,
Just out of curiosity. How do you vent the "spray booth" so you don't blow yourself up. I got lucky and was able to paint mine in a huge space that "self vented" (although I did spend a lot of time sanding out dust) but curious when it's in your garage. How do you protect yourself from electrical spark and spray fumes mixing?

Chris

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
I leave the door open... Fortunately we are near the top of a hill and normally have an outside breeze here that blows in the correct direction to pull fumes from the garage. I also don't have any lights or electrical inside the 'booth' area while painting. I get pretty good light through the sides and roof of the 'booth' - for the first picture above there is some work lights set up in the booth to help me spot any issues while sanding the panels (hence the shadow of the car on the right of the booth), but the second picture is garage lights (outside the booth) only. We're on a few acres too, so lucky enough to have no nearby neighbours to upset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-24 07:35 PM by metalhead.

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
I'm glad I guide coated it, I didn't have the panels as straight as I had thought/hoped. I've taken all the highfill primer off (down to filler or previous paint/primer layers) in a lot of areas all over the car, but only hit metal in 1 or 2 spots, so should be ok. I will finish sanding the last little section of the guide coat off tomorrow, hopefully I might have time to get some more coats of primer on. The cheap paint I used for the guide coat was terrible for clogging the sandpaper though, so I might try adding a splash of colour into my last coat of primer to act as a guide coat for the next lot of sanding... Hopefully it won't take much this time and will sand out nice and flat without going through the primer, so then I can paint!

metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
Finally got a free weekend with some decent weather and laid down some more high fill primer. Decided to add a dash of black to the pot and just spray a light coat of primer as my guide coat this time (the grey in the pictures), the cheap rattlecan paint I used last time proved sticky and difficult to sand.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to a post by metalhead Thanks for the feedback Mark. I am shorter than you, but had thought the Cobra seats would actually be better than the Mk3 Midget seats, which have quite a thick backrest - I believe thicker than the Cobra buckets. Having said that, I know the early seats have a much thinner back, probably thinner than the Cobra Classic seats?

I've sat in the Cobra Classics in a showroom and found them comfortable, but haven't tried them in a car. I did expect them to make it a little more difficult to get in and out of the car, but hoped it wouldn't be too bad. Do you find them comfortable once seated in the car?
Once seated, they were fine, I just had my right knee way up by the dash edge. Its not the thickness of the seat that was the issue, it was the shape of the hard support. It angles backward from the base such that your butt winds up about 4" farther forward than with the original seat. Because the seat back ran into the axle hump and the roll bar before I got to a very comfortable position, I felt very cramped, more like I was in a NASCAR position.
I also used the original shoulder belt mounting points for a harness bar, I welded a 2" diameter steel bar to two pieces of angle which projected forward under the tubing and had the two studs attach the bar. It worked out great and even fit just behind the roll bar. 4 point harnesses are the best, except around town where they're a PITA.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

Attachments:
DSCN6248.JPG    45.7 KB
DSCN6248.JPG

DSCN6243.JPG    54.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 3627356 by AN5L8016
In reply to a post by metalhead Thanks for the feedback Mark. I am shorter than you, but had thought the Cobra seats would actually be better than the Mk3 Midget seats, which have quite a thick backrest - I believe thicker than the Cobra buckets. Having said that, I know the early seats have a much thinner back, probably thinner than the Cobra Classic seats?

Once seated, they were fine, I just had my right knee way up by the dash edge. Its not the thickness of the seat that was the issue, it was the shape of the hard support. It angles backward from the base such that your butt winds up about 4" farther forward than with the original seat. Because the seat back ran into the axle hump and the roll bar before I got to a very comfortable position, I felt very cramped, more like I was in a NASCAR position.
I also used the original shoulder belt mounting points for a harness bar, I welded a 2" diameter steel bar to two pieces of angle which projected forward under the tubing and had the two studs attach the bar. It worked out great and even fit just behind the roll bar. 4 point harnesses are the best, except around town where they're a PITA.

Ahhh. Right, I hadn't considered that the angle might result in the seat being pushed further forward, makes sense. I might have to see if I can place one in the car to try before ordering. Thanks! Fortunately I'm not very tall, so it might still work out ok.

I'm happy (and planning) to run 4 point harnesses, I've used them daily in my fathers MGA. The 6 point harnesses in my brothers mx5 on the other hand, are a step further than I'd want to use regularly on the street (though he does). The roll bar will be built around the seats ultimately.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Hi Andrew. Looks to me that you are highly motivated now! Nice going! I too had a Vette. A 1977 4 speed. Once I got the Midget and the wife got her '16 Miata we lost interest in the Vette. Sold it, and now we have his and hers red roadsters! Keep the pics coming!

sisprite Geoff Hollands
Queensland, Australia   AUS
Looking at the post accident photos, makes me wonder what happened. Initially I suspected that you got rear ended, but then I saw the second photo. Certainly made a mess of it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster