MGExp

MG Midget Forum

Got my 1500 going again, wanting to update ignition. Also Weber choke issue.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

79sunrunner Avatar
79sunrunner Travis Olson
Morris, Illinois, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Sun Runner"
I think my ignition system is stock and original. I want to replace it with a more reliable system if recommended. If not, I noticed a tune-up kit from Lucas on Victoria British. I noticed some people went back to a points system, other went to a Pertronix system? Currently trying to set up 10 degree timing. What would you curently recommend I do. I am planning of driving this car from Chicago to Little Rock in late November, so Im trying to minimize faults in a short amount of time.

Also, my manual choke on my Weber is jammed in the open position, has been like this since new, any comman fixes or should I replace it?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
djclinton Avatar
djclinton Dennis Clinton
Mesquite, Nevada, USA   USA
1964 Ford Ranchero "Red Rocket"
1966 Other Custom "Green Machine"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Bridgette(brown Midget)"
On my Weber, I had to put a washer behind each of the three bolts holding the choke cover(black cover). I found that without the washer, it was too tight to open and close. Take the cover off and see if the choke moves easily. The rod may have been bent. Looks like you have the Opus electronic ignition. MG replaced them early as they were unreliable. Mine runs with the replacement still-and runs well.

79sunrunner Avatar
79sunrunner Travis Olson
Morris, Illinois, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Sun Runner"
So with the Opus system this tune up kit wouldnt work?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
That system is for a 25D points distributor, not the 45DE4.

On a 45DE4, I carry premium caps and rotors, as well as plug wires. From there, set your timing at 14-16 BTDC at idle, and don't use vacuum.

Personally, I run points in my MG, although I've tried everything on the market. Points seem to run best, and that's from a guy who rebuilds 1500 Lucas distributors a year. You'd need an old points distributor to start with - from a chrome bumper Midget. My blanket statement about points does NOT include new reproduction distributors with dubious origins.

If you put a Pertronix or FAST system in yours, it'll run well, but you will also need a 3 Ohm coil. In fact, no matter what you change to it will need a 3 Ohm coil and you need to rewire it from the fuse panel bypassing the ballast resistor.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster