Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
rsvmgb1974 Silver Member Robert Vining
Capon Bridge, Capon Bridge, USA   USA
Sometime in the past the original distributor died on my 1977 Midget and was replaced by an aftermarket "Illumination" system which unfortunately also went to it's reward.

So, looking around for a replacement I found this Bosch distributor plus extras at a reasonable price. Advertised as a complete "drop in" unit. Wondering if anyone else has this system?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 11:31 AM by rsvmgb1974.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Bosch.jpg    33.9 KB
Bosch.jpg

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
Robert,

I looked at the eBay listing. The distributor is actually a clone of a 45D Lucas distributor. The True Spark products come with good reviews on the European MG sites. I don't have any personal experience with True Spark, however, I do have an Accuspark dizzy in my GT. They may be made by the same Chinese company. So far I'm happy with my Accuspark dizzy.

From the eBay pic the True Spark is supplied with the troublesome rotor so you'll want to replace that.

Here is a link to an Accuspark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Midget-1500-Complete-AccuSpark-Electronic-Performance-Overhall-Ignition-Kit-/192022185979?hash=item2cb56a07fb:g:LpEAAOSw-CpYAMuQ&vxp=mtr

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
One issue with the Chinese dizzy's is the advance springs. They may not be as elastic or durable over time as the originals, so keep an eye on your timing and advance over time...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rsvmgb1974 Avatar
Thanks for responding guys.

Looks like Charles got the better deal, spark plugs along with the other items. So, I need nothing else? Just connect the wires to the coil and the coil lead and I'm ready to go.

I always had trouble with my '74's distributor, I'm glad to get a new unit and hopefull eliminate troubles when this thing gets put back together and in the car.

Attachments:
Midget manifold 003.JPG    55.6 KB
Midget manifold 003.JPG

geezer Avatar
geezer Silver Member charles durning
Magee, Mississippi, USA   USA
1958 MG Magnette ZB "Chick Magnette (sold)"
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Saloon (2-door) "Marvin"
1974 MG MGB GT
I did have that issue with the Chinese Pertronix dizzy. Replaced the springs with Lucas from eBay and now all is well.

In reply to # 3591349 by Poundingsand One issue with the Chinese dizzy's is the advance springs. They may not be as elastic or durable over time as the originals, so keep an eye on your timing and advance over time...

Who's version of right are we talking about? When you get 10 LBC owners in a room you'll get 12 different answers.

tonyt99 Avatar
tonyt99 Tony Wood
Sollies Pont, PACA, France   FRA
Robert - nice looking 1500 engine there. I'm interested in the mount for the oil filter. I can't see any take off points for an oil cooler in the photo. Does it have some specific function such as an anti drain back valve?

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
I have been running the Flame Thrower I bought at Moss Motors. I believe the True Spark and other aftermarket dizzies work just fine in non-racing applications. I've had no issues. There are plenty of naysayers but that is MHO.

Tony, the oil filter mount came on all US 1500 models. I think it was to get the oil filter away from the steering shaft. It is not really an advantage in anyway over the European 1500's without it. It does allow the oil to drain back into the oil pan, at least mine does.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
That distributor sells for $11 direct from the manufacturer, so don't have too high of hopes with the customer service you get or how it works. Your original 1500 distributor has a better advance curve, if its well lubed. The plug wires are good though.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
In reply to # 3591632 by tonyt99 Robert - nice looking 1500 engine there. I'm interested in the mount for the oil filter. I can't see any take off points for an oil cooler in the photo. Does it have some specific function such as an anti drain back valve?

Yes, agreeing with Jere there is a half moon cut in the bottom of the housing allowing oil to drain back into the crankcase. I see no provision for an oil cooler.

Bob

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
Installed one for a customer a few months back. It said "Pertronix" on it. Came with a cracked cap and the drive dog was on 180 deg out. Could not change the drive dog position, staking pin holes did not lineup Had to pull the distributor drive and re-position it in order to use the distributor. I compared it with four old cores I have and yes it was 180 out. I knew what to do, but maybe a lot of people would be confused. Again "BUYER BEWARE" Just Saying

B-racer Avatar
B-racer Jeff Schlemmer
Shakopee, Minnesota, USA   USA
1950 Willys Jeep Pickup "Ratrod"
1971 MG MGB
2014 Dodge Charger
In reply to # 3591417 by rsvmgb1974 Thanks for responding guys.

Looks like Charles got the better deal, spark plugs along with the other items. So, I need nothing else? Just connect the wires to the coil and the coil lead and I'm ready to go.

I always had trouble with my '74's distributor, I'm glad to get a new unit and hopefull eliminate troubles when this thing gets put back together and in the car.

You never had your distributor recurved did you? The factory advance curve was terrible - as bad as they ever got. Its a real dud, but it can be fixed to work far more reliably than an aftermarket unit, so hold onto it for the future.

jeff@advanceddistributors.com

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
The previous owner installed an "Illumenation" system mounted on the firewall beside the hood hinge, I suppose to improve the preformance of the original Opus distributor. Somehow it works in conjunction with the Opus. Anyhow, the module is shorted out and must be replaced.

If the Bosch works, fine. If it doesn't, I'll let you know.

Attachments:
Midget hood up 027.JPG    58.3 KB
Midget hood up 027.JPG

pinkyponk Avatar
pinkyponk Gold Member Adrian Page
Berwick, Nova Scotia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3591242 by rsvmgb1974 Sometime in the past the original distributor died on my 1977 Midget and was replaced by an aftermarket "Illumination" system which unfortunately also went to it's reward.

So, looking around for a replacement I found this Bosch distributor plus extras at a reasonable price. Advertised as a complete "drop in" unit. Wondering if anyone else has this system?

Thanks

That's not a Bosch distributor... just the wires are Bosch. It may work fine but if you can find it on Amazon it would be really easy to send back if it doesn't suit you. If you do go for one, you can check it's "curve" with a common timing light.

Adrian

Home built Eaton M62 Supercharger with 9psi boost, "stock" high ratio rocker arms, 8:1 compression, Piper 270 cam, ported head, matched manifolds, CB Performance computerized ignition.

oleanderjoe Avatar
oleanderjoe Silver Member Joseph Baba
Fresno, Ca, USA   USA
Any dist will work for the Midget. MGA< MGB< SPRITE< SPITFIRE< MORRIS MINOR. Most all used the 25D and will pop in and work fine. A good used 25D is better than some of the crap you find on Ebay. What is that old saying ??? "The bitter taste of poor quality, outlasts the sweet taste of price. Just Saying

rsvmgb1974 Avatar
Ok, got it. True Spark Chinese distributor, not Bosch. Eleven bucks from the err distributor, nice little 500% profit even considering import licensing fees and associated overhead.

Received it today. Packed funny to save on shipping. Wires removed from box but box included however crunched. Not quality but looks ok. Not a factor as long as it works. As the blind man said "We shall see."

Attachments:
Midget TS dist. Hood release 001.JPG    53.5 KB
Midget TS dist. Hood release 001.JPG

Midget TS dist. Hood release 004.JPG    63 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Midget TS dist. Hood release 006.JPG    53.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster