Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

osbornephoto Avatar
osbornephoto Ken Osborne
Simonton, Texas, USA   USA
Apparently I have screwed up. I do not know how I did this but apparently I have re-wired the fusebox wrong. It is such a simple electrical device but now things do not work properly. When I look at a wiring diagram things just don't jive. For one my turn signals no longer work. The car will start but will not turn off when the key is turned to off. If the car sits it now drains the battery dead. Totally bizarre stuff. Does anyone have a simple (for simple minds) diagram of the wires and how they are suppose to go on the box. Also: The box has 2 connectors on one side that are joined. Does this go towards the top firewall or bottom?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
midget fusebox 02.jpg    71.1 KB
midget fusebox 02.jpg

midget fusebox 03.jpg    47.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
The Red/Green wire goes to the first terminal, (which are linked together) that you've circled, it feeds (through the two fuses) both of the terminals on the other side of that fuse which have red wires attached.

The next terminal, below where the Red/Green, gets nothing (across from it is the second fuse for the red, supplied by the red/green).

The 3rd one gets the white wire, it feeds (through the fuse) the green wire.

The 4th one gets the brown wire, it feed (through the fuse) the purple wire.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 11:43 AM by Kerr.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
The above got kind of hard to read so I repost the information with terminal numbers added (look closely at your housing and see the numbers molded next to each of the terminals, on the bottom surface, in your second photo)

The Red/Green wire goes to terminal #1 (#1 and #3 are linked together) that you've circled, it feeds (through the two fuses) both of the terminals on the other side of that fuse which have red wires attached (#2 and #4).

The next terminal (#3), below where the Red/Green, gets nothing (across from it is the second fuse for the red, which was already supplied by the red/green).

The #5 terminal gets the white wires, it feeds (through the fuse) the green wires (at #6).

The #7 terminal gets the brown wires, it feeds (through the fuse) the purple wires (at #8 position).

N

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
osbornephoto Avatar
osbornephoto Ken Osborne
Thanks...which way does the box go on the car? #1 & #2 facing the fender?

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
Carrollton, Texas, USA   USA
I find it easiest to remember what colors are paired and to think of each fuse as in/out... although that's a simplification

Brown is paired with purple (with a fuse between) Brown in, purple out.
White is paired with green (with a fuse between) White in, green out. (use both spades on the in and the out side)
and red/green is paired to red (with a fuse between) red/green in, red out. These are the two fuses that are tied. so there's one in, but two outs.

orientation doesn't really matter as long as you know which two fuses are paired. They are usually closer to the firewall, but of course that isn't electrically important.

If that satisfies you, stop reading here. If you want more context; continue.

Brown is always live unfused, direct from the solenoid. it goes to purple accessories that are always live, like the horn.
White is only live when the car ignition is switched on. It feeds things that are only needed when live, like gauges, radio, etc.
Red/green is actually the wire from the light switch. it is only live when the lights are turned on and splits to the red wires which run out to the marker lights.

If you mix them up, it will affect which switch switches what and some wires will be live all the time which is why your batter ran down.

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
P.s. technically, one of the white wires (the single wire) is an "in" and the other (the spade with 2 wires) is an "out" that is controlled by the same switch but doesn't go through the fuse... but that's not really relevant here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-06 01:35 PM by 73midget.

osbornephoto Avatar
osbornephoto Ken Osborne
Thanks...you have been a great help. The car is running and does turn off now. The real problem I have is 62 year old eyes and all the wires are so faded you cannot tell their colors well. The turn signals still do not work. I changed the hazard switch and they stared working but now nothing.

osbornephoto Avatar
osbornephoto Ken Osborne
Does this look correct?

Attachments:
midget fusebox 04 correct.jpg    36.3 KB
midget fusebox 04 correct.jpg

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
almost. you still have a green wire and a purple wire switched. The purple wires should be together and the green wires should be together.

Attachments:
74 fusebox.jpg    38.5 KB
74 fusebox.jpg

osbornephoto Avatar
osbornephoto Ken Osborne
I am almost color blind so thanks for pointing this out. I cannot see the purple

ang77midget Angela A
Austin, Texas, USA   USA
I am curious to know if this fuse box lay out is the same for a 1977 midget 1500? Are the wire colors the same as well??

Thank you,

Angie

73midget Avatar
73midget Chris Edwards
In reply to # 3590864 by ang77midget I am curious to know if this fuse box lay out is the same for a 1977 midget 1500? Are the wire colors the same as well??

Thank you,

Angie

I would have to look at a wiring diagram to know, Angie. The wiring colors would be similar because they wouldn't change the standard BMC wiring codes but there were some tech changes for the 1500s. You'd be better off looking for a colored wiring diagram (Prosperos Garage used to sell a high quality wiring diagram with color). I would also suggest starting a new thread to discuss your 1977 midget wiring so that this thread doesn't become confusing for future forum readers who might find it in the archives.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster