AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TcjMiami Avatar
TcjMiami Thomas Johnson
Hollywood, Florida, USA   USA
I am restoring a Bug Eye.

The Axle housing was rusted through so I replaced the housing.

I stupidly decided to "update" the rear brakes along with the front and so began the saga of multiple changes of the backing plates etc.
The plates and housing were fully derusted and spray painted before assembly.
There are pictures attached showing the contact areas.

Currently the innermost edge of both brake drums are touching the backing plate when I tighten the drum retaining screws.

I have replaced the bearings and drums with new parts from Moss..

I can add arbor shims to bring the hubs out (I am thinking .030).

Any other suggestions before I pull the plates for about the 10th time?

"Beating the crap of the plates to move the edge back would be rewarding but not particularly professional"

Thank you.

Tom Johnson

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20170812_091411055.jpg    58.3 KB
IMG_20170812_091411055.jpg

IMG_20170812_091424375.jpg    52 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
Does it touch all the way around ? If the axle flange is not bent the drum might not be perfect . Do you have a belt sander ? I would "relieve" the back lip of the drum so doesn't hit

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Steve has it correct. A few minutes with an angle grinder to modify the drums is the solution. This happens due to the location of the flange on the early housings versus the later ones.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TcjMiami Avatar
TcjMiami Thomas Johnson
Would that be better than putting 0.60 in shims behind the bearings?

TOM

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
I think so. Easier to keep dressing the drums than pulling and adding more shims.

It was a Blast!

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
putting a spacer behind the hub bearing would move the half shaft farther inboard (check out the exploded view on page 150 of the Bentley manual, section H, Rear Axle), making your clearance issue become worse

it might even put the lip seal into the end of the axle housing

A shim between the mating faces of the half shaft and the hub might work, but being compressible it might lead to lug nut loosening farther on down the road.

I'd go with Trevor and Steve and relieve the edge of the drum.

N

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Common.....I had a friend chuck them up in a lathe and cut a bit off. Don't remember how much now but it wasn't much. If you still have the old axle you could probably measure the difference.

Kurt.

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
A lathe ??? That would be the "professional " way to do it !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 07:59 PM by nonracer.

TcjMiami Avatar
TcjMiami Thomas Johnson
I have ordered shims to move the hubs out. (10 Shims for $20 .030 shims 1 3/8" X 1 7/8"winking smiley

I will let you know how it works out.

I can always take them out later and find someone to cut the drums.

Thank you for the advice.

TOM

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
OK, let us know how it works. For about $30 you could buy an angle grinder and do the job yourself.

It was a Blast!

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
I would just drive a few miles and let the drums clearance themselves. But that's just me. grinning smiley

TcjMiami Avatar
TcjMiami Thomas Johnson
I actually have a grinder.

I have gone through three sets of plates and three housing to get one complete and functional axle housing.

Pulling the plates with the car in a rotisserie is not really that much work.

I would have a real problem with a grinding noise in the rear after a ridiculously expense rebuild over course of years to get this car back on the road.

Monk Gold Member Ed D
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
How about putting a set of flat washers on the studs prior to installing the brake drums. This should slightly offset the drums from the hub and possibly stop the interference.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
OK, let me relate my experience. I knew that the drums would rub the back plate before I decided to do the swap. Therefore I carefully ground down the drums like someone else had suggested. I got everything mounted up tight and tested to see if there was any rubbing. It all seemed good. After completing the remainder of the work on the car to get it driveable I set out on my first test drive. It all went well EXCEPT the drums would rub slightly when cornering. The solution was quick and easy ... grind off a bit more. So, you may be able to shim enough clearance to make it work on the bench, but until you get it on the road there are no guarantees.

It was a Blast!

TcjMiami Avatar
TcjMiami Thomas Johnson
I think that "NO GUARANTEES" should be moto for most British classics, maybe even a model name.winking smiley

We certainly would not have over $30K in a car worth less than half that amount.

We would all be driving a Prius if it was for the assurance of trouble free transportation.

But on the bright side we would probably smile a lot less.

TOM

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster