AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

terryke5hwe Terry Halbert
Rogers, AR - Arkansas, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Blue Eyes"
1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
It's been fun getting the 79 Midget on the road, lot's of curvy road's in N.W. Arkansas. I jacked up the rear to replace the hand brake assembly which is not working. What got my attention was brake fluid on a rear wheel, blown cylinder. A real what if moment for sure! O'Reillys has one for $32.99, and Moss show's same for $10.99..

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
thebeav55 Paul W
Tonawanda, NY, USA   USA
I bought mine from Moss a couple of years ago. I don't remember them being that inexpensive though. They've been running great for a couple of years now.
Paul

1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
I didn't want to wait so I got the parts from O'REILLYS, says made in Italy,.

yycmidget Avatar
yycmidget Dave B
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
I just redid my 1979 Midget's rear brakes (cylinders, shoes, springs) and used the VB kit. Each wheel cylinder came with a pair of "e-clips" to retain the wheel cylinder in the backing plate. Save yourself a lot of grief if you get the e-clips and leave them in the box. Re-use the wave washer and circlip (or buy new ones from a hardware supplier - there is another thread that give specs). The e-clip is quite painful to deal with - the normal approach is to fight with pliers or screwdrivers until they either seat or go flying across the garage and disappear. Or you can order a special tool from Moss (386-185) - that doesn't really work.

At least it didn't on my '79. I'm sure the tool is fine and could work - but not on my car. The end flange where the axle attaches to the backing plate is too close to the wheel cylinder for the e-clip to seat. When I ground the edge down until it would fit, the e-clip was weakened enough that it bent out of shape before it would seat properly. First two photos show the interference, third photo is the wave washer and circlip. I wire brushed the surface rust off the old washer and circlip then used a bit of anti-seize when I reinstalled them.

-----------
Dave

Attachments:
2017-07-16 15.43.39.jpg    46.4 KB
2017-07-16 15.43.39.jpg

2017-07-16 15.43.50.jpg    21 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
2017-07-16 16.00.55.jpg    30.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Meredith Avatar
Meredith Jon M
Harper ferry, WV, USA   USA
Good advice Dave. I purchased these at Tractor Supply Plus for $1.00 they installed easily and fit perfectly.
Clip supplied with wheel cylinder is on the right. E clip is on the left

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 12:55 AM by Meredith.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    29 KB
image.jpeg

Meredith Avatar
Meredith Jon M
Harper ferry, WV, USA   USA
Recently I purchased two wheel cylinders and both were manufactured in Italy

Regards

Jon

yycmidget Avatar
yycmidget Dave B
Calgary, AB, Canada   CAN
Jon,
The darker coloured e-clip looks like it would work - I'll have to keep an eye out for that style. The larger silver one appears similar to what was supplied in the rear brake kit that I purchased.

-----------
Dave

1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
I used a snap ring to install mine and it sure was easier than the e-clip! I fought those on my 1979 MGB and said never again...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster