AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Flared fitting question
  This topic is about my 1961 MG Midget MkI
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
I'm trying to fit up a shorter clutch by pass line from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder. The shorter line is a downward line directly to the slave. I have flared both ends of the line with the normal brake line flaring tool. This is a standard concave flare. However, I just noticed the original line has a convex flare. Is that normal for these cars? Is there a different flaring tool available? I've never seen one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Well, I see by a you tube vid it's called a bubble flare. There's a kit to get the convex profile. Looks like a trip to town!

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
The convex flare / bubble flare ...to give it's right name is called a din flare.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
First, you can just use the standard double flare tool, but stop at the first step. just use the tool with the nib that goes into the line... don't do the second step of turning the chamfered tool. Takes some practice to get it straight. The "proper" tool is expensive. Clutch lines are good practice.

Second, if you are shortening I hope you mean re-routing in front of heater? Be sure to keep the coiled part for the flexibility.

Peter C

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Peter, I did go down along the heater. But did not include the coils as I thought it may be contributing to the air lock issue. But after getting it all set and pressurized the same issue is present. No clutch! So, I have hit the frustration wall. Enough is enough! The car will make the 130 mile trip to Appleton, Wisconsin to the nearest MG repair shop! I just hope it isn't something stupid!

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Bev, the auto supply didn't have the bubble flare kit. They did have a couple adapters that worked great. The end was a bubble like the pipe would be. And the other end has the thread to accommodate the normal fitting. No leaks. But no clutch either!

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
The clutch will feel pressurised due to the spring on the pedal, get someone to operate the pedal while you check the slave cylinder rod is moving in and out, sounds like an air lock to me,

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Done that too. The slave rod is moving in and out. I can see the release bearing moving up to and against the wear ring. Doesn't seem like it is pushing it far enough.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Have you replaced the master cylinder with one of the new TRW ones?? The idiot ferrrin manufacturer has fitted a brake check valve in the clutch side which must be removed.

Kurt.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Yes, Rick told me about that issue a few weeks ago. I took it apart and checked. It was correct. I did get a rebuilt MC from Gerard and have that one installed.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
If your push rods are incorrect or not adjusted right that can give fits as well. In the at rest position you should have just a smidge of play between the end of the piston and the push rod. You should be able to feel it. Might have to have the pin out of the pedal link. In the at rest position a piece of shipping tag wire can be used to make sure the holes that feed fluid into the piston in the master are open. Its nice to get the master primed on the bench before install just for peace of mind.

Kurt

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks Kurt. I have about 1/32" of free play between the rod and piston. Is it possible to get an air lock in the MC?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
I'll be taking the by pass line off next and putting the original line back on. Pressure bleed again and see what happens.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
It is possible to have an air lock in the master that can sow things down a bit but not as bad a problem as you seem to be having. If the master has been re-sleeved I think I would check to make sure those holes are open into the master cylinder. The re-builder might have not gotten the sleeve in right.

Kurt.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
I have fluid flowing well enough so I don't think the holes are misaligned or blocked.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster