AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
Hey Folks,

The only item on my car that doesn't function (right now) is the heater switch, and I'd like to remedy this. All of the parts are in the car, and the fan works but the switch isn't wired in. It looks like there is a single green wire coming out of the (choke style pull and twist-to-turn-on) switch, but the wire has been cut an inch out of the switch. Per my wiring diagram (positive earth '67 Sprite) there should be another wire coming out of the switch as well (green and yellow). I don't see anywhere for this wire to connect to the switch.

Does anyone have any pictures of the switch connected? Or can provide a good description?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Poundingsand Avatar
Hoping someone has an answer to this. I'd love to get the fan working. With temps in the triple digits, I'm gonna need that heater working! haha

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Just been and looked at mine, I have two wires coming off opposite sides of the potentiometer and they hook up under the bonnet to the two wires coming from the fan motor, the wires on the switch are on riveted terminals so you might have to solder a new wire to the copper terminal on the side of the switch and extend the short wire, I would test the switch first though with a continuity test , its probably no good hence the wires being cut

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Poundingsand Avatar
Hi Bev. Although I believe you may have a different style switch I'll have to look closer to see if the wires may have been soldered on to mine. And a test is definitely in order...thanks!

NYCCharlie Avatar
NYCCharlie Charles Linn
Lawrence, Kansas, USA   USA
That switch/cable assembly may no longer be working--they frequently aren't. So a DPO maybe just clipped the green and who knows what happened to the green/yellow wire. Cut at the switch?

According to the standard lucas color code, green should be power and green/yellow should go to the fan. If it were me I would trace backward from the fan and see where the green/yellow goes--assuming it is still attached to the fan. Who knows the other end might still be lurking under the dash.

I have read of people taking the cable/switch combos apart on the bench and restoring them, but when I removed the one from my Bugeye I could not see how it could be done without destroying it, and I think they are NLA. Someone had already wired in a separate switch for the fan and the switch/cable was still being used for the air intake--so there are two knobs on my dash with an H on them and you pull them both.

It is a hack job but what to do? I live with it.

Maybe someone here could tell you how to take the switch unit apart and clean it up, see if it can be saved.

My second Midget was a 67. Great year for them--still real simple to work on but mine had the 1275 engine with none of the air pollution stuff on it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 12:06 PM by NYCCharlie.

Poundingsand Avatar
Hi Charles,

It looks like I still have a green/yellow wire with a female plug at the end under the dash. I'll have to check the continuity to see if it terminates at the fan.

Step two would be to check the continuity of the switch itself (of course I need to find the second contact ON the switch) and run this (g/y) wire TO the switch.

If the switch IS working, I imagine I can splice a green wire into the solid green wire coming from the flasher relay and route it to the switch, correct?

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
By the description of your switch I think mines the same, give me half an hour and i'll send a picture of mine

Poundingsand Avatar
Thanks Bev and Charles! This is all most helpful!

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Here you go peer, both wires on mine are black but I'm thinking your switch is the same, if it isn't ignore my posts smileys with beer

Attachments:
001.JPG    22.8 KB
001.JPG

NYCCharlie Avatar
NYCCharlie Charles Linn
I can't tell, Bev, but gosh it sure looks like it.

I am confused because the car in your profile is a '77. I believe that 67 was the last year for the combo switch/air intake pull/cable, and you mentioned a rheostat. The switch that Peer is talking about is an on-off switch that twists clockwise/counterclockwise. Electricity doesn't care what color the insulation is so if yours is black it doesn't mean a thing.

Peer, I can't say what you should use as the splice point for the green wire--double check with your wiring diagram. On the Bugeye that green wire does supply the flasher and the power for the blower. I have read the blower will run faster with a larger gauge wire though. You might test it before you commit to using the wire from the flasher--just run it directly from battery and see what happens.

Oh-yes you might do the next owner a favor and if the original circuit had a green wire, stick to green. You can get the exact color from British Wiring, in Pennsylvania.

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Charles I got it wrong being a rheostat / potentiometer , it is just an on and off switch that operates the fan and the pull out and in operates the cold air intake flap, they are a common switch in the UK midgets.
second hand switch for sale on eBay UK right now from mg Wrexham £45 + postage .... item number 232338045452

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 01:57 PM by bev sleet.

Poundingsand Avatar
Thanks so much Bev! The picture helps. Charles and I shared the same concern regarding the year of he car, but your switch looks similar to mine. (I'll need to confirm when I get home). Next step is to find the other contact and test it...

specz79 Avatar
specz79 Curtis Zoss
Shreveport, louisana, USA   USA
This is on my '68

1968 Midget

TFpyro Avatar
TFpyro Todd Faubert
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I took mine all apart and had to make up a new circuit board switch plate for it as the original was beyond saving. Yes there are two wires as it only acts as a switch to turn the fan on and off. The switch is a 1/4 turn to start the fan and then pull out to open the inlet damper to the fan. It is repairable if you want to spend the time taking it apart, I also replaced the pull wire with a new replacement choke cable for a lawn mower, looks the part and fit in with no problem.

NYCCharlie Avatar
NYCCharlie Charles Linn
Wow Bev. £45! I guess I should sell mine, Todd, how do you get it apart?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster