AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Megan"
I am replacing some corroded rear brake lines and I got some new 3/16 pipes with bubble flares. The fittings on the pipes look correct and they screw into the wheel cylinders nice and tight. However, when I tried to screw the other ends into the three way union, they felt loose to me. Does anyone know the correct fitting size for the three way union? I assume the fittings on the brake pipes are the right size as they fit the wheel cylinders.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
They are 3/8-24 BUT, the fitting must have a long snout to seat the flare.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
1970 MG Midget "Megan"
Ok, my rear pipes look like this. I am wondering if the PO changed all the pipes back here. Is there supposed to be a rubber hose that connects to the line running to the front of the car?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2167.JPG    58.1 KB
IMG_2167.JPG

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
The piece between the hard line from the front and the Tee on the diff should be a rubber hose.

In reply to # 3553105 by CK70Midget Ok, my rear pipes look like this. I am wondering if the PO changed all the pipes back here. Is there supposed to be a rubber hose that connects to the line running to the front of the car?

Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, Maine, USA   USA
What you've got there is dangerous -- just looking to break.

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
1970 MG Midget "Megan"
Yep, not driving the car until I get this sorted out. just another shoddy PO job I have to fix. sad smiley

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
Caleb,

Ignore the thread adapters inserted into the Tee, which are for my custom application, but the braided steel hose going forward from the Tee is what the gentlemen are talking about. Rubber is stock, as Rick said, but there are upgraded hoses available like this BF Goodrich set.

Also, frankly, your hard line going forward bothers me a bit. Am I seeing things, or is there yet another union just inside the drive shaft tunnel? Maybe my eyes are just tired after a long day...

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.

Attachments:
Y fitting with adapters.jpg    47.1 KB
Y fitting with adapters.jpg

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
1970 MG Midget "Megan"
After investigating further, the problem is much more serious than I thought at first. The PO just used unflared brake pipes and put a compression fitting on to "seal" them (hence all those unions). In light of this, I have to replace all of the pipes in the rear and the hardline going to the front of the car. I was looking into the Moss pipe kit and was going to get that to do the whole car, but then I saw that VB sells regular lines in various lengths, making it possible to just buy the lines I need. Has anyone ever used the Moss kit and is it worth it to do the whole car at once?

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
In reply to # 3553662 by CK70Midget After investigating further, the problem is much more serious than I thought at first. The PO just used unflared brake pipes and put a compression fitting on to "seal" them (hence all those unions). In light of this, I have to replace all of the pipes in the rear and the hardline going to the front of the car. I was looking into the Moss pipe kit and was going to get that to do the whole car, but then I saw that VB sells regular lines in various lengths, making it possible to just buy the lines I need. Has anyone ever used the Moss kit and is it worth it to do the whole car at once?

Caleb,

Sorry to hear that. I haven't used the Moss kit, but have used pre-cut lines with Brit-spec fittings from NAPA for the forward portion of the system when I converted from my '67's OEM single-circuit to a later-model front/rear dual circuit master cylinder.

Now, unless the balance of the front-end lines are crud, all you really need is the single line extending aft. Might be cheaper than a whole set.

Point is, there are options to Moss's system, though I assume theirs is totally competent.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
A few years ago I went to AutoZone and bought lines with the correct fittings for my Spridget.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster