AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rooby Avatar
Rooby Silver Member Phil Crowell
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1958 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Marty"
1966 MG MGB MkI "Ruby"
After struggling for access and uttering a few expletives along the way, I finally managed to remove the old siezed clutch slave cylinder from my 58 Bugeye. There was no way I was going to put up with that nonsense while reinstalling, so this forum became my friend.

I saw some great tips on remote bleeding and cutting a slot for the upper bolt to ease installation of the slave cylinder. Finally today, I assembled everything. A length of pipe from the original bleed screw orifice to a three way connector mounted in the engine bay. I attached the 3 way connector using a longer bolt through one of the throttle linkage mounts, and secured it to the bulkhead just below the level of the master cylinder. I popped a bolt and copper washer into the unused hole and a bleed screw in the top.

When I filled the master cylinder and cracked open the remote bleed screw, it took about a minute for clear, bubble free fluid to appear at the bleed screw. I had effectively bled the clutch system using gravity. A couple of pumps on the clutch pedal and everything seems to be working well.

I can highly recommend the remote bleeder, and goodness knows why this wasn't a standard fitting - it's so simple to use. About $20 in parts, and a couple of hours is all it takes. I'll take a couple of photos to show how it looks later, and post them here if anyone is interested?

I'm a happy man and I still have skin on my hands - no more need to go through that ridiculous hole in the transmission tunnel ever againthumbs up

Phil Crowell
Sydney
Australia
1966 Mk1 MGB "Ruby"
1958 Bugeye Sprite "Marty"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Good job Phil. Send those pictures!

TFpyro Avatar
TFpyro Silver Member Todd Faubert
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Yes please post pics I'm struggling with my 67 Midget, trying to get the clutch bled.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Rooby Avatar
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Ruby"
I won't be able to get to the car until the weekend, but I will post some pics then. I never remember to take them at the time.

Phil Crowell
Sydney
Australia
1966 Mk1 MGB "Ruby"

salguod Avatar
salguod Doug Kreib
Salt Lake City Area, Utah, USA   USA
i have been working on a remote bleeder for my clutch and have become frustrated due to the fact I cant seem to find the right fittings. I found a beleed screw easy enough that threads into a standard (US) pipe thread but trying to match the threads on the slave cylinder has been a problem. I also need a female end to thread the bleeder into that cab be attached to the line. Several trips to local parts stores and a couple to custom hose makers have not solved the problem yet! I'm sure Ill get it eventually but for now just a pain on my list of unresolved problems.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Most of the slave cylinders I have used have 3/8-24 threads for the bleeder. However, yours might be different. In my case, the easiest way to make a remote bleeder was to use -3 AN hose/ fittings.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

pixelsmithusa Avatar
There are several ways to accomplish this. I have attached picture of one way I've done it using standard Sprite brake fittings. You don't necessarily need a bleeder at the end either. A nut with a compression fitting and a plug at the end works too. It's also possible to have flex lines made up with the right fittings. Check Summit Racing and Pegasus just to name a couple.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Attachments:
RedSpriteMCbleedsetupA.jpg    47 KB
RedSpriteMCbleedsetupA.jpg

emjay Jim English
Marietta, PA, USA   USA
Forgive me, I have a Sprite but it's low on the project list. Have I see larger diameter tubing (fat tubing) used for the clutch system? If so what is the reasoning for using larger tubing? Sure there will be less resistance to the fluid but won't that be good for a braking system as well? Or is just to allow the air bubbles to rise easier?

pixelsmithusa Avatar
The larger piping is only on 1275's when the 1" slave cylinder with the rubber flex line is used. Fitting are different too.

In reply to # 3555019 by emjay Forgive me, I have a Sprite but it's low on the project list. Have I see larger diameter tubing (fat tubing) used for the clutch system? If so what is the reasoning for using larger tubing? Sure there will be less resistance to the fluid but won't that be good for a braking system as well? Or is just to allow the air bubbles to rise easier?

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Rooby Avatar
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Ruby"
As promised, here is a picture of the remote bleeder components. The bolt is fixed through the throttle linkage nut from inside the cockpit. I couldn't source the imperial size in a long enough bolt so I used a 6mm bolt, which is slightly smaller. The nut on the 3 way mounting takes care of securing the throttle linkage. The bolt and crush washer fill the unused orifice. I just happened to find this one in my collection. It's actually from a child seat fitting kit from about 30 years ago - I knew it would come in useful one day. It has the added benefit of holding the clutch hard line in place too.

Bleeding is simply a case of loosening the bleed screw and letting gravity do the work.

Phil Crowell
Sydney
Australia
1966 Mk1 MGB "Ruby"

Attachments:
20170722_160554_001.jpg    65.6 KB
20170722_160554_001.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster