AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

specz79 Avatar
specz79 Curtis Zoss
Shreveport, louisana, USA   USA
So I bought a Midget, now what?

1968 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
Now what ? well check out the most important part of the car before you start cruising , that would be the brakes, check for leaks on the rear cylinders and front callipers and master cylinder / thickness of pads and linings, then do a general check over the car like oil in the back axle / gearbox / and engine, now your ready to go cruising spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

James E Avatar
James E Silver Member Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   USA
and welcome to the best MG forum on the net.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Get a repair maual for it. Recommend the workshop manual. Than read that sucker. Get to know it. Two questions, can you do body work? And do you know cars? And welcome to the fun.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Now what? Drive it like ya stole it and then try to get that silly grin off your face. smileys with beer

baloo Avatar
baloo Silver Member s y
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
In reply to # 3552743 by specz79 ...now what?

This forum is probably even better than any workshop manual!
You will get immediate input that frequently is BETTER or even counters what the manual might advise.
The stupidest question gets polite and technical attention -- ask me how I know.
And, best of all, it is unlikely that you will come up with something that someone on this forum hasn't tried out already.

You probably need to give a status report on your new car, like: does it drive? shift ok? brake OK? Start listing the problem areas -- when you get over 10 in number, STOP!

Can't help but want to pass on some hard-earned advice based on experience:
1) DO NOT engage in ANY type of modification if it means that the car will be down for more than one day!
2) Do not try to make a Porsche out of the car.
3) Do not believe that an increase of 2-5hp will make your Midget into anything other than a nimble VW. Unless you supercharge or turbo it or drop in a V6 or hotter engine, be satisfied with 58 hp, and just enjoy the thumbs up and stares and smiles.

4) BEWARE of MISSION-creep -- whereby you start on a simple project, and then "...while I'm here, I might as well go ahead and do this or that". It will bloom into a full restoration project that will rob you of valuable driving time with your Midgee! Watch for it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-16 11:25 AM by baloo.

specz79 Avatar
specz79 Curtis Zoss
So status of it, it needs a lot of work,lol.
Seats need bolted back in, guy replaced the floor pans and never reinstalled them.
Hood needs bolted on, guy replaced the OEM with a Weber 2bbl carb and it contacts the hood (not sure what to do there).
Clutch master cylinder was replaced but not bled so it doesn't disengage clutch at the moment, should be a easy fix.
Other than that it needs body work, has cancer in the usual areas, etc.

Someone asked if I can do body work and work on cars, the answer is yes to both so I think this will be a fun little project.

1968 Midget

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Curtis,

Just my opinion here, but the best thing you can do with the Weber is sell it to someone with a Fiat and put the SU's back on. Webers work fine on Fiats, but not so much on a Spridget.

wrenchingaround Avatar
wrenchingaround Silver Member Louis Zammit
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 3552743 by specz79 So I bought a Midget, now what?

what year is it?

Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, Maine, USA   USA
Now what? Take a minute and add the year and model into your profile, so that anytime you ask a question we'll be able to give you an answer that's specific to your car.

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
Definitely put the SUs back in if you have them....Look for a tutorial online for how to clean and set them. Once set, they are quite reliable, and very easy to fine tune from there...

specz79 Avatar
specz79 Curtis Zoss
Its a 1968, i'm trying to put it in my profile but am not having much luck (user error).

1968 Midget

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-17 11:57 AM by specz79.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster