AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Megan"
Wow, that is one reliable little car! I know we all like to joke about "British Unreliability", but sometimes it is hard to seperate the jokes from the actual problems. From what I have heard from fellow MG owners, it seems that with proper maintenance, these cars are about as reliable as any other 40-50 year old car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mg man 75 Avatar
mg man 75 maurice sallee
Campbellsville, Central Kentucky, USA   USA
I agree on the relays if proper done. That means soldering. A full size ground from the body to engine/trans area. I don't like using the body to ground thru for the starter. I would run a larger wire beside the original harness for the fuel pump. I had the points in the fuel pump go bad and almost melted my harness. [on the 74]. Next would be a spare distributor cap with wires attached. Drove thru a rain storm once and cracked a cap. I spare setup cap in the trunk would have been nice to swap out. Maurice

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
1970 MG Midget "Megan"
I had a similar experience with my horns. The PO put in radio and pulled the horn wire from its terminal and plugged the radio in (why, I have no idea). One day when I pushed the horn button the wire started burning. Luckily I was able to yank off my battery cable before any serious damage was caused.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
Solid State SU Pump is fine. Much more expensive (I did not write "NAPA"winking smiley, my pump uses an impeller, there is no hammering noise at all. I can't tell you the brand, but I purchased a similar one for my motorome that runs the 4000 watt generator, and delivers the same amount of lbs. pressure as the Midget, and it makes no noticeable noise. I have not heard of the NAPA Fuel pump, but I would stay away from that too. Diaphragm style pumps are not as reliable, and their day has come and gone. The impeller may wear away, but it will still be spinning, . The "Points" version of the fuel pump is a nightmare because it does break down completely, and you never know when it will, so you are not sure if that is causing the problem. That kind of intermittent failure has given these cars an unreliability reputation that has been exaggerated into the rest of the car.

Personally, I do not think it is not wise to bang anything on a fuel system with a 2 x 4. Solid State SU, or industrial Box pump, my pump has, and is still running for 8 years. I never had a problem. I also ran the ground right by the pump. The British did some whacky things when it came to electronics. You could buy a "Fox and Hound', you will be able to figure out where every wire starts and goes to quite easily. I am an Electronic Technician and have used mine for my house, motorhome, T.V. repair, audio repair, Mercedes Benz, M.G., a very useful tool, as you attach one end with an alligator clip to the wire, and a remove wand is held next to the wire, and it makes a loud sound, getting much louder when you find the wire. Never fails. These cars are so small, a good Ohm Meter will work just as well, get one that sounds with continuity.

As far as how the pump looks, personally, something that buried under the car is visually not an issue. Reliability and the ability to go for rides for 100's of miles is what matters, not worrying about intermittent failure is peace of mind. Having to slap it or get underneath it is ridiculous, especially as the fix is so easy.

These cars do operate better if driven regularly, and is listened too, you can hear when it's time to fix something long before it is an "issue". The solid state ignition systems are so bullet proof, unless you are racing, this is a drop in, and forget about set up. I got rid of the cap and rotor and stuck an MGB style push plug cap and rotor onto mine. Those "screw in wire" caps, using solid core wires are troublesome, and arc when wet. Why put yourself through that? Points are easy enough to do though, and if you like to tinker, then stay with the points, they are readily available, cheap, just make sure you use the condenser or they will burn up. I always carried an extra set of points and condenser with me. It's not like they weigh much, and I always carried a small tool box, well equipped, to work on whatever might break. I had an ANSI dual exhaust on mine, and boy, that sure sounded nice.

If you know enough about cars, and general mechanics, you will have a car that is much fun to drive, and is far more than a point A to B automobile. It will last a long time. They're great in the snow too, with good snow tires. smiling smiley

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
John, by NAPA pump I meant the generic cube pump that looks like a transformer. They are noisy but in their praise they are common at every auto parts store and they are reliable. The Facet "gold" pump is a pump made originally by Bendix. I put a used one on my MGB in the mid 70's. It came off of a friends MGA and was at least 10 years old then. My MGB is now owned by another friend and still has the same pump going strong. The car is pushing 200K now. The pump is a good one! Facet claims its there longest lasting pump and I'm sure it is.

Kurt

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, New Hampshire, USA   USA
I do believe, the NAPA pump that I am running, has Facet, stamped right on itwinking smiley
But I have a spare in the boot, so the one I'm using now, will never failcool smiley
But yes, when they fist start pumping, they rattle, but when up to pressure, and running, mine just purrsthumbs up

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Facet makes the cube as well as the "gold". I believe other manufactures make the cube as well but may be wrong on that. Every company is a near monopoly now.

Kurt

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
1970 MG Midget "Megan"
Currently, I have the "gold" (or something very similar) installed. It seems to be a very good pump and I have not had any problems with it. Its a bit on the loud side but other than that its good.

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
I looked under my car and it is a "Facet" pump. My local Foreign Car Parts guy, who is so essential to this area, sold it to me, and did not inflate the price. This is the same guy who sold me an original "Smith's" Manifold Pressure gauge, the one that came stock on the Shelby Cobras, for $75 bucks. It was brand new, the last gauge in his Smith's display box. I have been offered ridiculous prices for that gauge. It taught me how to shift my car properly, and I quickly learned I was over revving the engine. It would pull just fine in a taller gear, without my foot mashed to the floor. It also shows me way before I notice it that the car is coming in need of a tune up. winking smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster