MGExp

MG Midget Forum

1972 MG midget knob in upper right corner.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Early 1500's had a manual choke, the knob on all of them was in the same location as Christine's. Your car has a DPO modification. But if it works it works. :-)

In reply to # 3550144 by Statestreet Now you have me wondering . . . My 78 has a manual choke knob in the opposite corner below the heater control knob. Did the 1500's come with a manual choke, or were they all auto chokes?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Statestreet Avatar
Statestreet John Lockwood
Tucson AZ, USA   USA
So shouldn't there be a recess where the choke control would normally fit? All I have now are the three indicator lights (oil pressure, charge, and high beam).

Attachments:
Dash Indicators.jpg    56.3 KB
Dash Indicators.jpg

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, New Hampshire, USA   USA
My 77 dash, has the recess, and a plastic block off plug, so I think the hole may be there in the dash. I got a stroker deal, on an intake manifold, and Weber carb, with manual choke, but I have not bit the bullet, and done the install. The single carb, with the rebuilt, and calibrated water choke, has been working fine (a little rich, but OK). For $100.00, I could not say no. It came off a Spit. I have driven it quite a bit this season, almost time to adjust the rear brakes againcool smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Later 1500's had an automatic choke and no recess.

In reply to # 3550253 by Statestreet So shouldn't there be a recess where the choke control would normally fit? All I have now are the three indicator lights (oil pressure, charge, and high beam).

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
A good "Bentley" repair manual has the drivers handbook in the front of it. Also the very best descriptions of how to do repairs. Recommend trying to find one on line.

Kurt.

mtfr56 Avatar
mtfr56 Mat Poland
Buxton, Maine, USA   USA
Car looks to be in excellent condition. Original paint? Enjoy!

Here is the driver's handbook. It makes great reading. Lists all the racing parts that one could buy from the factory. This handbook is also included in the Bentley manual but they can be hard to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Midget-Mark-III-Owners-Manual-1970-1971-1972-Drivers-Handbook-Guide-Book-/162440971914?fits=Make%3AMG%7CModel%3AMidget&epid=2127512664&hash=item25d23c868a:g:c00AAMXQsMZRmVZ~&vxp=mtr

Gevs13 George Evans
Honiton, Devon, UK   GBR
they never stay out we also use a clothes peg to hold the knob out till the engine has warmed up

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"they never stay out we also use a clothes peg to hold the knob out till the engine has warmed up"

I was very pleased to find that when I replaced my choke cable it worked like new, and has done so for the last 25 years or so.

Come to think of it, that was 25 years ago, I hope the replacement parts sold today will be as good for others as that replacement part has been for me. tongue sticking out smiley

N

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
The brandy new choke cable on the Midget I bought a couple of years ago stopped locking after about 10 starts. :-(

In reply to # 3552346 by Kerr "they never stay out we also use a clothes peg to hold the knob out till the engine has warmed up"

I was very pleased to find that when I replaced my choke cable it worked like new, and has done so for the last 25 years or so.

Come to think of it, that was 25 years ago, I hope the replacement parts sold today will be as good for others as that replacement part has been for me. tongue sticking out smiley

N

mtfr56 Avatar
mtfr56 Mat Poland
Buxton, Maine, USA   USA
During the time that my midget was in my father's possession 30 some odd years ago, he put a rather large and completely incorrect T shaped choke "knob" that stays out with no twisting or turning. Works great. To start the car, "yank it and crank it!"

purpleGT Avatar
purpleGT Gold Member Bud Osbourne
Pittsburgh, PA., USA   USA
Yup. The choke control. If the engine is tuned correctly, you pull the choke knob all the way out (you may have to pull pretty hard, actually), "tickle" the starter and it should fire INSTANTLY. BMC A and B series engines start SO easily, when they are set-up right and not burdened by all that emissions crap.

On a slightly different subject, I suggest removing that "boy racer" roll bar, before you get punted in the rear and the roll bar beats your brains out. Those things are far more dangerous than the slim odds of a roll-over type accident. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but, even if padded, those roll bars can be deadly. I'd just hate to see you become an organ donor, because of something someone else did to the car, thinking they were making it safer.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster