Time to bite the bullet..holy floor!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
I would think the extra length is for trimming and fitting , where are they too long ? Post some pics

In reply to # 3545669 by jth421 Steve, you say the floor pans aren't correct, in which way are they wrong. I have a set from VB that Ashley Hinton made and they are a little long. the car is on a rotisseirre with the doors still on and all the gaps look correct so i don' think the car has flexed, but I have been at a standstill debating whether to cut the new floor and remove a section or whether I have something out of alignment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
zamboniman Avatar
zamboniman Rob Dougherty
St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada   CAN
1973 MG Midget "Violet Rose"
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Hey guys, some more pics... And another a post patch.,, I might be able to salvage upper A post?
Hate to disturb the outer rocker...doesn't look too bad but I think it's covering up the old panel....guess I'll keep grinding

Attachments:
image.jpeg    65.5 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    60.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
zamboniman Avatar
zamboniman Rob Dougherty
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Progress:

Getting rid of the old rusty panels. Inner sill not too bad. Thinks I'll cut and repair forward section only. Still have to peel back the A post skin and see what's going on in there.
Cheated a bit and cut top of rocker off. I think I'll cut the rest out later today when it gets shady in my work area!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    60.1 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    73.4 KB
image.jpeg    45.5 KB
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
very familiar rust patterns!

Attachments:
DSC00720.jpg    29.2 KB
DSC00720.jpg

DSC00733.jpg    48.5 KB
DSC00734.jpg    37.9 KB
DSC00741.jpg    40.8 KB
DSC00742.jpg    35.8 KB
DSC00747.jpg    55.7 KB
DSC00748.jpg    53.2 KB
DSC00751.jpg    48.4 KB
DSC00780.jpg    51.4 KB
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
Yep looks like good times ahead

In reply to # 3547740 by Kerr very familiar rust patterns!

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Attachments:
IMG_20160618_120348208_HDR.jpg    61.3 KB
IMG_20160618_120348208_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160627_185914839.jpg    48.1 KB
zamboniman Avatar
zamboniman Rob Dougherty
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Thinking about this...where do I start?

Attachments:
image.jpeg    76.7 KB
image.jpeg

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
The inner sill ( rocker ) is the heaviest piece , I would fix that first . Fit your outer sill next but don't weld it in , then the A pillar . You can do the outer foot well last since its basically the flat piece . Tack weld the rocker in case you need to "adjust " anything , once your happy with the fittment of ALL pieces weld them in . This will be countless hours of fitting , grinding and trimming but it'll be nice when your done.

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
My drivers side lower "A" pillar is so bad, it has made it so I have to really figure out a way of locating the dash, as the panels on the footwell (outside) was also rusted. and that bottom of the door just lost it's reference points. Not fun. I wish there was an easier way, but I think I will have to shim the door, and tack weld it in place in order to rebuild the "A", to the point where I can fit the repair pieces properly. You aren't alone in your endeavors. I have a Mig and Tig welder, and I got a nice sheet metal brake from Harbor Freight that is a lot better than I thought it would be. I can probably fabricate most of the panels I need, and am using re-purposed sheet metal from washing machines that I got off. This stuff is high quality, and will make for a strong repair, I just have to grind the necessary area before welding. Making your own panels allows you to fit in parts tight. I have done a few Mercedes Benz 450SL's, 250C and 280C, this is my first M.G. though. Owning the metal working tools and removing every race of rust is the most crucial part of this process. If it has surface rust, and grinds too thin, the part has to be replaced, or cut out, and patch piece made. I try to edge weld were possible, take apart at factory spot welds, and re-weld at those spot welds. Makes for a factory looking repair when all done. I go for structural integrity where the welds don't show. smiling smiley

zamboniman Avatar
zamboniman Rob Dougherty
2012 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Thanks for the replies and pics, folks! It is reassuring that others have been down this road before and have successfully put things aright.

On that note, does anyone have a pic of the front inner rocker as original? Gonna start my repairs but I'm not sure if the inner rocker is square to the wheel wheel and floor? I have no reference point as both sides are rusted out.

Thanks again,

Rob

SwaMan Avatar
SwaMan Frank Clark
Oswego, New York, USA   USA
Perambulator David D
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
Doing a nice job of this. Keep going!

nassau66 Larry Cross
Browns Mills, New Jersey, USA   USA
Rob,
Repair the firewall first - it's vertical. That'll (re)establish how far forward the inner sill extends.

The inner sill itself is rectangular in this area. You should be able to figure out how tall it is. Use 14 gauge for the inner sill.

In one of your early pictures, you drew out little areas of the inner sill that needed fixing. It would be easier to repair it using a single, larger piece - that way you only have about 6" of weld to do. Hope this helps a bit.

Attachments:
20150116_5.JPG    36.7 KB
20150116_5.JPG

20150117_3.JPG    44.3 KB
Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, New Hampshire, USA   USA
I see Washington's head in that panel. It must be a "quarter panel" grinning smiley

Statestreet Avatar
Statestreet John Lockwood
Tucson AZ, USA   USA
Geez I'm so lucky!! The original owner of my car bought it in Southern California and it lived most of its life in the high desert north of LA. The only rust I've seen so far is in the battery box. A quick cleanup and a spray of undercoating took care of it. My welding skills aren't up to doing the surgery you have to contend with. My hat's off to you.

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
This is really good advice from nassau66. I would advice when and before under coating or final painting, to use high quality seam sealer, making sure that none of it blocks the flow, or causes water to be trapped. I learned this from the many floors I've done on 450SL's. That seam sealer will save you much headache in the future. It's expensive, but a little goes a long way. I also used weld through Zinc Primer. winking smiley

In reply to # 3555669 by nassau66 Rob,
Repair the firewall first - it's vertical. That'll (re)establish how far forward the inner sill extends.

The inner sill itself is rectangular in this area. You should be able to figure out how tall it is. Use 14 gauge for the inner sill.

In one of your early pictures, you drew out little areas of the inner sill that needed fixing. It would be easier to repair it using a single, larger piece - that way you only have about 6" of weld to do. Hope this helps a bit.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster