Floor heat question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Warhawk Stephen Johnson
Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA   USA
I got to thinking about my floors, I know my carpets are trash so going to pull them all out. This got me to thinking about how hot the floors will get if there isn't anything on top of the metal.

Any one run a midget with bare metal floors?
If so how warm does it get?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
redmg33 Avatar
redmg33 thad evans
Akron, USA   USA
It can get hot enough to melt your shoes!!!!!!

Warhawk Stephen Johnson
Well that could cause a problem.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Don't drive barefoot. You should be able to put some kind of heat shield under the floor.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
If you like the feel of an open metal carnival ride in the heat of summer, go with bare floors. I'd go the other direction...deluxe carpet set and Dynamat like many others have done on this forum. Will quiet the cockpit down too.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
steve, the other thing besides heat you will encounter is the increase in noise. I once pulled out the carpet on a 71 and thought I would drive around without anything on the floor....bad move.... on the road the noise from vibrating panels made driving unpleasant. After having that loud experience I installed Dynamat insulation which reduced noise a good bit. Dynamat quality is good but it is pricey.
Not promoting Dynamat, but it did quiet the ride and provide insulation from the heat. I know there are other brands out there that do a decent job with noise and heat reduction so you have several options.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Warhawk Stephen Johnson
Thanks for the info i wasn't too worried about the noise with a convertible as I know those are normally pretty bad but I need to rethink my plan for sure.

Not a big deal I did see some carpet sets for $250-300 and I'm only after a fun car to drive not a show car so those should be fine.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
If you think you won't mind the noise, try about a 100 mile trip with no carpet or sound deadening material! It will make a believer out of you!

Steve, I noticed that you don't have your car listed in your profile. Having it in there sure makes things much simpler/easier for those answering your post if everyone knows the year of your car. It takes but a minute and helps everyone.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Warhawk Stephen Johnson
I can understand that so I'm rethinking for sure.

I will update the info next week. I'm driving down this weekend to pick up my 75 finally. At least I'm told 75 but no title so getting all that worked out (long story) but when I can be sure the year I will get that updated.

200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Winston-Salem, NC, USA   USA
Steve...

Since the floor is mostly flat... get a remnant piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting with a fairly thick rubber backing. Make a template out of cardboard and cut the carpet to shape. Glue it in with a small amount of spray-on upholstery adhesive.

$20... done, at least for now.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, New Hampshire, USA   USA
I am thinking I may do that to my 77. My feet do get toasty, on the warmer days, and yes, lots of road noise toogrinning smiley

Warhawk Stephen Johnson
Not a bad idea. In the long run new carpet but could get by for a bit with that.

TheLastDeadMouse Avatar
TheLastDeadMouse Tim Vollmer
Potsdam, NY, USA   USA
I have a temporarily bare shell, and yes, the floors were really hot until I put the rubber floor mat back in. Definitely worth doing that at the very least. I don't mind the volume driving around with the top down, but with the top up its incredibly loud. I wouldn't have thought that a fabric top would make that much difference, but there it is.

terryke5hwe Terry Halbert
Rogers, AR - Arkansas, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Midge"
1979 MG MGB "Money Pit!"
Before I put new carpet in the 1979 Midget I put down a layer of foil thermal insulation. Quiet ride and really helped with the heat. It was about $16.00 a roll at Lowe's..

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
Remember, one good rain with the top off, or accumulation from wet shoes, snow etc., and the rugs will act like sponges and speed up the eventual demise of the paper thin floors. Make sure everything is easily removable. I ran mine without any floor coverings, had a header on it, I never encountered any melting shoes. Any sound deadening material should be non porous, and if you stick it on, make sure it's really stuck on, or the moisture will get in there, and you will be able to push the backwards through the floor. smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster