AutoShrine Sponsor

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Have anyone white paint the wall tire ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Raunds, Northamptonshire, UK   GBR
I didn't paint mine, I just fitted whitewall tyre trims and if I get tired of them i'll just take them off.

Attachments:
IMG_1075.JPG    61.7 KB
IMG_1075.JPG

Speedracer Avatar
Speedracer Platinum Member Hap Waldrop
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB Racecar "The Biscuit"
In reply to # 3535290 by bev sleet I didn't paint mine, I just fitted whitewall tyre trims and if I get tired of them i'll just take them off.

Damn, they call them porta-walls here, I'm shocked they still exist, I have seen a set in over 25 years, when we cleaned out the warehouse in the tire store , and then they had been sitting in the corner for another 10 years. .My dad obsessively over bought stuff, about that same time, I had to get rid of about 1000 new OEM car carpets, nothing anyone would ever want , unless you still had a Ford Granada, LTD II, or a Cutlass Supreme, the new vinyl tops, I sold the whole lot, maybe 500 of them to guy in Atlanta, also had other relics, spoke hubcaps, wheel opening trim, stick-on body side moulding, etc..

Hap Waldrop
Acme Speed Shop
864-370-3000
hapwaldrop@acmespeedshop.com

Member Services:
MG/ Triumph Performance Street/Race Engines - Cylinder Head Porting - Modified SU HS Carbs - DIY Engine Rebuild Kits With Free Tech Advice - Alloy wheels for British Sport Cars,and others
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Interesting. How do they attach?

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Hi Hap , yeah they still exist and plenty for sale on eBay UK, I remember them being called Porta-Walls back in the sixties, this side of the pond we call them whitewall tyre trims and the ones on my midget are called Atlas and cost £48 on eBay. If you aint seen them for 25 years Hap it sounds like a business opportunity over there smileys with beer

Hi Chuck they just fit between the tyre and rim , take a look on youtube to see demonstration video's. you knock the tyre off the rim then stretch the trim over the rim and re-inflate the tyre, simple job. So are they real whitewalls on your 61 midget ?

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Hi Bev. Thanks for the explanation. Yes, those are the real deal on my car.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Midget63 Avatar
Midget63 Nick Herwegh
-, Netherlands   NLD
My GAN2 was delivered new on white-walls so I put a new set on it after restoration. IMHO they really suit the early Spridgets.
Just my 2 cts....

Nick (TD3232)

Attachments:
DSC01412.JPG    76.2 KB
DSC01412.JPG

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Hi Mojan , I just looked on the internet site you put on and they seem to be £20 a set dearer in the states than they are in the UK.
that's not good sad smiley

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Lizzy...SOLD!!"    & more
I've had three (not four !) 13" porta walls go unused for over 40 years. They are still supple but as I said I only have three. Anybody want to make an offer and I'll ship them in a flat container to your door. They were spares left over from a long-ago Corvair restoration.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
when you install it back are you using bead sealer? I watched some videos and saw some people are using the bead sealer and some don't.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/31-INCORPORATED-GP14-101-32oz-Bead-Sealer/34042389?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222227022638525&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52571872151&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-84452492351&wl5=9032144&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=34042389&wl13=&veh=sem

In reply to # 3535290 by bev sleet I didn't paint mine, I just fitted whitewall tyre trims and if I get tired of them i'll just take them off.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
'64 or '65 factory ad for the Sprite.

Attachments:
IMG_3108.JPG    61.2 KB
IMG_3108.JPG

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Here you can buy it.... shipping or store pick up.
Store is in south California.
http://www.lucasclassictires.com/Portawalls_c63.htm

bev sleet Avatar
bev sleet Bev S
Hi Mojan , personally I never use bead sealer, just make sure the rims are clean but if you do get a leak on the rim get a big rubber hammer and clout the wall of the tyre until it seals itself, rubber hammers are normally black so when I fit whitewall trims I wrap the hammer head in clear plastic bags before I start to keep the trims clean,

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
My tire size is 175/70R13
So I called them (http://www.lucasclassictires.com/Portawalls_c63.htm) today to see which one to purchase, but the customer service said my side wall is too small and they do not recommend Portawalls.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster