AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Brexit"
Hi All,

I just thought of an interesting topic of discussion and I am keen to get some of your opinions on it. I have
noticed that in general there seem to be a lot more MGBs for sale out there than there are Midgets. I understand no
one would say the Midget is "rare" in terms of value, but are they any rarer than the MGB for instance in terms
of how many are left? I know the MGB was considered the main production car of the brand, but does this correlate
to a difference in production numbers from the Midget in a given year? This is probably simply explained whether it
has to do with geographical location, popularity vs the MGB, ect, but it just seems whether I am browsing local classifieds
or even Ebay that the ratio of Midgets/MGBs is quite unequal. Maybe I am totally wrong on this and it is just me, but
I'd love to see what everyone else thinks about it. smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Caleb, if ya got a copy of Terry Horler's book on Sprites and Midgets it has the production numbers for every year distributed over there and sent to the U.S. I'm not familiar with a similar book on the B. Might ask the guys in the B forum.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Mechanicals on MGB are tougher so it may just be more have survived. My MGB GT back in the '70's took a beating being used as a service car repairing computers all over. I really flogged that car and it took it. I did use a Sprite for awhile but it didn't hold up as well.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Total production of all types of Sprites and Midgets was about 350,000. There were over a half million MGB's produced and then when you add in the MGC's, MGB V8's, etc. the number gets even higher.

In reply to # 3534793 by CK70Midget Hi All,

I just thought of an interesting topic of discussion and I am keen to get some of your opinions on it. I have
noticed that in general there seem to be a lot more MGBs for sale out there than there are Midgets. I understand no
one would say the Midget is "rare" in terms of value, but are they any rarer than the MGB for instance in terms
of how many are left? I know the MGB was considered the main production car of the brand, but does this correlate
to a difference in production numbers from the Midget in a given year? This is probably simply explained whether it
has to do with geographical location, popularity vs the MGB, ect, but it just seems whether I am browsing local classifieds
or even Ebay that the ratio of Midgets/MGBs is quite unequal. Maybe I am totally wrong on this and it is just me, but
I'd love to see what everyone else thinks about it. smiling smiley

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Thanks for the info Rick. Interesting!

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
As Rick said Sprites AND Midgets with, I believe, the bug eye being the most made model.

Kurt

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, Georgia, USA   USA
Can't vouch for the accuracy, but here is an article from MiniMania with some productions numbers.

http://www.spridgetmania.com/Sprite_and_Midget_History_of_Development_and_Production_604

atm92484 Avatar
atm92484 Andrew M
Fort Worth, TX, USA   USA
I've always wondered if Spridgets didn't also suffer from "cheap car syndrome" (aka no need to maintain a cheap car - when it falls apart buy another.) It would be interesting to know how many are still on the road considering the number of rusted heaps sitting in someone's field you'll find on Craigslist.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
The following was from SpriteSpot, when everything was running, it shows a total production of 329,127 with 199,773 of them midgets:

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

Attachments:
Production Numbers Spridgets.jpg    37 KB
Production Numbers Spridgets.jpg

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, Ohio, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
I think you are spot on. I see the same thing you mentioned (more MGBs, less Midgets) - and I subscribe to the "cheap car" theory as well. People who bought the low-end car drove it everyday to work and back, whereas the MGB owners probably put many of them away for the winter season.

I'm in a local area MG club, and there are far less Midgets registered than MGBs. Personally I love taking mine to the local British car shows - there often is only a handful of us and I've walked out several times with an award (although my 76 really isn't anything to write home about).

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
1970 MG Midget "Brexit"
Your mention of the '76 Midget brings another factor into this. That being the number of chrome bumper/rubber bumper cars. I see many more rubber bumper cars around than chrome, which is interesting given the chrome cars were made for a longer period of time. It seems that more rubber bumpers were saved...

Dutch 1960 Avatar
Dutch 1960 Mark Holland
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
Bought a Midget a few years ago from the guy in Lake Elsinore, CA that had hundreds of MGs. This was at the time the city was putting a lot of pressure on him to clear out the herd. His pricing was "full price" of the time (2012). His B population outnumbered his Midgets by about 4 or 5 to 1. The Midgets were also getting all the attention, as they seemed to be clearing out very quickly versus the B's, even though there were no real bargains to be had anywhere.

So my take is that many more B's were originally used as everyday transportation, while the Midget owner profile was more for a hobby or weekend car. This is why his B population grew so outsized. He was no doubt buying them from individuals and dealers as their "everyday driving" utility dwindled. The Midget never had as much of an "everyday driving" following, so they got traded directly from Midget enthusiast to enthusiast, and more rarely making their way to dealer trade-in or to the street corner "for sale by owner" deal. I would bet it is not about relative numbers of survivors, but that the Midget owners have always been a bit of a different group of people than the B owners. Remember that back in the day of the VW Beetle and the Ford Pinto, the B was a perfectly acceptable and reasonably reliable daily driver. The Midget was never a DD quite so much.

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Caleb, there were roughly 60K Ruber Bumper Midgets built after 1975 so they more likely to be still around.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

CtMGDude John R
New Fairfield, Ct, USA   USA
I haven't seen a '73 Round rear wheel arch like mine for years. I drove mine for 7 years. I did have 3 other cars, but Midget was driven numerous times a week, many weekend trips, and all year, especially as with the proper tires, as the car handles the snow excellently. I have driven B's before, and a host of other vehicles, but there really is something special about the Midget. Many have asked me to sell them my car, but I won't. I also find this to be one of the cheapest and easiest cars to maintain, and to modernize, where necessary, such as wiring, etc., that I have ever owned. I do all my own work though, and I could see how that may not be the case for others.

CK70Midget Avatar
CK70Midget Caleb Kualii
1970 MG Midget "Brexit"
I knew close to nothing about vintage car repair (or car repair in general) before I got my Midget. The amount of technical support out there as well as the simplicity of the car in general makes it perfect for aquiring the ability to work on cars. With a manual, this forum, and some tools, I think I could work on almost any mechanical aspect of the car myself!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster