Scary Moment in Traffic

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I really can't figure this country out. The vehicles all have to be bigger and loaded to the max with air bags for safety yet the average death toll rate hasn't declined. The safer and faster and bigger the vehicles get the more insane the drivers become. If there is anything I can't stand its the driver that insists on being right on my a**. When I'm in something bigger than a Midget I either slow to a crawl or slam on my brakes to show them the error of their ways. I know, I'm asking for it. That is what my wife tells me all the time.
When in the Midget I too drive like Trevor Zink. Used to ride motorcycles so I know how and, believe it or not, I feel safer in a Spridget!

Kurt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Gene Avatar
Gene Silver Member Gene Johnston
Ridgeland, Mississippi, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB "Ole Red"
1973 MG MGB GT "Morrisey"
I always make a point of deliberately rolling to signals, stop signs and yield signs and a lot of brake pumping before I get there. I don't have to be the first to the stop or yield and don't feel the need to be the first to leave. I've put a 3rd brake light with a pulse system on the GT. I think I'm on observant driver and there are too many drivers that I see that aren't attentive either purposefully or not. They are dangerous.
My one comment on the original post. Aways, I mean always call the police. Exchanges of information doesn't cause enough inconvience for inattentive drivers and you are not protecting yourself. My rant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-15 10:36 PM by Gene.

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
This is also why I like to run a loud exhaust on my LBCs. I want people to be looking for me.

Tom Smith
1974 Midget
1976 TR6

hoggie Avatar
hoggie Mike Hogan
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA   USA
I just started driving my Midget again after some years of restoration work and I noticed something different with the current drivers. When I'm in the Midget going the speed limit plus, there seems to be an urgency to pass me. Once they pass they will pull back in front of me and back off to the same speed I'm going. First I thought they were trying to get a look at the Midget because most younger drivers have never seen one. Sometimes that might be the case, but it doesn't seem to explain most occurrences. When I'm in my F150, driving the same speeds on the same roads, they act completely different and only pass if they are in a hurry. Also noticed they stay away from me in my truck, but in the midget they tend to get to close. It's creepy. You have to keep your good eye on them. One hazard I've noticed is when you are in the outside lane of a 4 lane road. If someone in the inside lane slows down to turn left, they will try to come over on you. Same issue you have on a motorcycle.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Just tonight, I was driving my Nissan Rogue SUV at 5mph over the speed limit. A jacked up from the front, lowered from the back 4x4 pick up appeared in my rear view mirror. No kidding, his headlights were over my roof line. He passed me at at least 40mph over limit, it was loaded with a big ATV vehicle. You could be 20 feet in front of this monster and be invisible.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
In reply to # 3533366 by hoggie I just started driving my Midget again after some years of restoration work and I noticed something different with the current drivers. When I'm in the Midget going the speed limit plus, there seems to be an urgency to pass me. Once they pass they will pull back in front of me and back off to the same speed I'm going. First I thought they were trying to get a look at the Midget because most younger drivers have never seen one. Sometimes that might be the case, but it doesn't seem to explain most occurrences. When I'm in my F150, driving the same speeds on the same roads, they act completely different and only pass if they are in a hurry. Also noticed they stay away from me in my truck, but in the midget they tend to get to close. It's creepy. You have to keep your good eye on them. One hazard I've noticed is when you are in the outside lane of a 4 lane road. If someone in the inside lane slows down to turn left, they will try to come over on you. Same issue you have on a motorcycle.

So, I'm not the only one to notice that. I think they just can't stand someone smaller than them that might be enjoying the drive being in front of them! Also figure that they think that since they are bigger they should have more right to the road. I'll never forget a blond in a big black Escalade looking square into my face and then pulling out in front of me. I had to stand on my brakes and nearly lock them up to avoid her. I guess she just figured she had more right to the road!
Constantly having to stand on the brakes to slow for someone pulling out in front of me though. I think that maybe the size of our vehicle makes some miscalculate the distance or, like the blond, just not give a d**n.

Kurt.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
"loaded to the max with air bags for safety yet the average death toll rate hasn't declined" - actually, it was declining, a LOT, through the late '90s and early '00s, due to all of the safety regulations, it was getting down to half of what it had been at its peak in the '70s, while the number of millions of miles driven each year was continually going up (meaning the decrease in rate was even larger than the numbers initially make it seem).

But, since the advent of hand held texting devices the numbers have swung the other way. A good friend is a social worker at a local hospital and she said you wouldn't believe the number of people who's lives have been irrevocably damaged by neck and spine injuries, caused by being rear ended by someone texting.

"This is also why I like to run a loud exhaust on my LBCs." - unfortunately, a loud exhaust, on a motorcycle or on a car, doesn't do much to protect you because they don't work at stoplights (not loud at idle), and you can't hear them very well while they are coming, only while they are going away from you (basics of acoustics).

"slam on my brakes to show them the error of their ways. I know, I'm asking for it. That is what my wife tells me all the time. " - this is the definition of causing road rage, slamming on your brakes to scare / infuriate the person who is following too closely behind you. It is a natural reaction to try and make some of your rage be felt by them, but is also a good way to cause an accident. Another approach is to speed up (mostly that's all the follower actually wants), or, better yet, make it easy for them to pass (simply being polite, like you would do for someone while walking).

It is human nature (especially for men) to feel ego rising when finding another driver at a different speed than ours. In most aspects of life, politeness tells us to hold the door for others, and to let others through the door, or to adjust our walking speed to others to smooth the flow. But in cars, probably because they are more anonymous, people let their ego direct their actions and it causes friction.

While i am out driving my LBC, whenever I find another car wants to pass me I let them by as quickly as possible. It makes my drive more enjoyable, and I hope that someday when I am driving and some slowpoke is preventing my fun will do the same for me. Or, when I am on a really curvy and lovely road, and there is someone blocking my fun, and there isn't a way to get around them, I pull over and let them drive away, so that I can drive and enjoy that road without their rear bumper in the way.

That last countermeasure sounds funny, but once I started doing it I found most drives on twisty roads became more fun and enjoyable (though, it takes longer).

N

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Isn't there some sort of quote to the effect of : "a crazy driver behind you is a threat, but if they are in front of you they are entertainment."

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Thinking of putting an oil injection port in my headerdevil smiley Gotta do something with old oil, just hope their vent or window is open.

HMDIV Avatar
HMDIV Harry Dent
Brooklyn, New york, USA   USA
In reply to # 3533346 by Gene
My one comment on the original post. Aways, I mean always call the police. Exchanges of information doesn't cause enough inconvience for inattentive drivers and you are not protecting yourself. My rant.

Thanfuly he came by last night and paid up in cash. I know you should always call the cops in these situations, but last time I filed a report with NYPD it actually hindered the insurance payout because of how sloppily they filled it out. I took all of his info and I had his bosses number from the side of the van, I figured his job security was a pretty solid incentive.

This whole thread makes me excited for widespread autonomous vehicles. Obviously I don't want them to be mandatory ... But I think a majority of people don't want to be driving in the first place and their actions create the chaotic traffic patterns we are talking about.
I like the idea of autonomous vehicles driving on designated roads in perfect formation while LBCs are free to roam the backroads.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Norm, my wife claims I have road rage too!devil smiley In general I drive as you describe. I don't want someone right on my rear so I slow and let them by but I'm talking about the exceptions. There seem to be people out there that are not comfortable unless they are less than a car length behind another car! Sometimes at 80 MPH!! Those are the people that tend to get my goat.

On the interstate its common to have a half dozen overtake me all lumped together in what I like to call a "pod". Anyone else notice this? I think its a herd mentality that just makes some people uncomfortable unless they are in a tight group. Myself I like an empty road.

Kurt.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
George Carlin observed (paraphrasing) that everyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone going faster than you is insane.

I remember a road safety course I took a long time ago, they pointed out that while it seems like the right thing to do when behind an obviously drunk driver swerving and going too slow, is to pass them. But, the safe thing to do is to keep them in front of you where you can keep an eye on them and they cannot harm you (like plow into you from behind at high speed when you stop for a light/stop sign).

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I got my Midget back home and did some checking. The switch was fine, it was the relay I had installed to protect the switch that failed smiling smiley

In reply to # 3533341 by tomshobby Several members of our LBC group here in Wisconsin were out for a nice evening drive tonight. The guy that was following us let me know that my brake lights were not working. A problem I was sure I had fixed. After dinner we were leaving the sports pub we had stopped at and I noticed the brake lights in his MGA were not working either.

Tom Smith
1974 Midget
1976 TR6

NYCCharlie Avatar
NYCCharlie Charles Linn
Lawrence, Kansas, USA   USA
Harry, having lived in Washington Heights, Manhattan, for 20 years, a 'hood where red lights are merely a suggestion, I can only say you are taking your life in your hands driving a Midget in Brooklyn.

People who haven't done it can't quite visualize the super narrow streets, moms shoving perambulators in front of you without a thought; moonwalking jaywalkers kid stickballers batting at the end of the block in front of and behind you caroming Spauldeens off your bonnet without warning; car doors slamming open on either the left or right side of you, slabs of rotten meat and beer bottles raining down on your car from four stories up; wiseguys fighting with shiksas and waving baseball bats at anyone who might get in the way screaming 'whaddaya looking at a--hole, i'm gonna kick your ass', some random gunshots; here and their some junkies collapsing between pairs of Lincoln bumpers right into your wheel wells...brother I've seen it all.

That is not to say that the idiot who rear ended you isn't 100% responsible. But no matter how many flags or LEDs you might affix to the rear of your ca tough guy, that's Brooklyn baby, Brooklyn.

Be careful out there.

CL

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-16 09:57 PM by NYCCharlie.

HMDIV Avatar
HMDIV Harry Dent
Brooklyn, New york, USA   USA
In reply to # 3533976 by NYCCharlie Harry, having lived in Washington Heights, Manhattan, for 20 years, a 'hood where red lights are merely a suggestion, I can only say you are taking your life in your hands driving a Midget in Brooklyn.

People who haven't done it can't quite visualize the super narrow streets, moms shoving perambulators in front of you without a thought; moonwalking jaywalkers kid stickballers batting at the end of the block in front of and behind you caroming Spauldeens off your bonnet without warning; car doors slamming open on either the left or right side of you, slabs of rotten meat and beer bottles raining down on your car from four stories up; wiseguys fighting with shiksas and waving baseball bats at anyone who might get in the way screaming 'whaddaya looking at a--hole, i'm gonna kick your ass', some random gunshots; here and their some junkies collapsing between pairs of Lincoln bumpers right into your wheel wells...brother I've seen it all.

That is not to say that the idiot who rear ended you isn't 100% responsible. But no matter how many flags or LEDs you might affix to the rear of your ca tough guy, that's Brooklyn baby, Brooklyn.

Be careful out there.

CL

Sage advice, and a vivid tapestry! Obviously there is no guarantees in city living/city driving, take the bumps and bruises and keep a going or ya gonna get bulldozed.

I would add; Phone-walkers, salmoning bikers, ATV gangs, and delivery guys on electric scooters to the list of hazards (can't say i've dealt with the raw meat or flying bottles)
You take the bad with the good though, Open hydrants (a car wash and AC all in one), summer nights driving over a bridge, the industrial area on a sunday morning devil smiley, girls snapping photos, children stopping in their tracks to see a "back in the days car".
Brooklyn ain't gone totally soft but the MG melts icy hearts and brings joy to even the hardest wiseguys on the block. Driving around in a vert, you are in the city, engaged with the people around you. I talk to people every time I drive. Young people want to know all about it and old timers spin yarns about rolling fiat spiders on long island or the mini cooper they built for hillclimbs in Jamaica. The rough and tumble teens in my building have scared off the occasional drunk who wanders too close to the midget and my ancient super (a wrestler back in Poland, or so he says) recruits people on the street for push starts when the prince strikes. Obviously there are haters and real crazies but even my local junkie had a BGT... New York is a bigger car city than most people would think, and we look out for each-other. My machinist builds tire eating grudge racing N/T Malibus and my paint guy does electric VW van conversions. Joe Curto is a short drive away.

Someday the car will get a cozy garage and I wont have to work on it laying on the hot brooklyn asphalt. Until then, Safety Fast!

Check the hoopti that was outside of my apt this morning

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-19 10:57 AM by HMDIV.

Attachments:
20170617_114645.jpg    35.8 KB
20170617_114645.jpg

20170227_101757(0).jpg    57 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20170417_185049.jpg    62.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster