AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Scary Moment in Traffic
  This topic is about my 1968 MG Midget MkIII
HMDIV Avatar
HMDIV Harry Dent
Brooklyn, New york, USA   USA
Had a pretty harrowing experience about an hour ago.

Was driving around Brooklyn with my girl. Perfect MG weather! Stopped at a light when I notice that the van behind me is RIGHT up on my ass, cant even see the driver. I start to pull forward to give myself space. The light turns green and this idiot just goes! The van hits the midget and just starts pushing me down the street!I start screaming and honking and about 15 feet later he realizes what he is doing. He crushed both tail lights and put a nasty scratch underneath of one. Otherwise totally unscathed. Thankfully he pulled over and after I stopped screaming "what the fuck man!" He apologized a bunch and we exchanged information.

Does anyone do anything to combat this visibility issue? I am thinking of getting a dune buggy flag or something, scared the shit out of me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-14 10:11 PM by HMDIV.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Midgies Dad Avatar
Midgies Dad Ben M
York, Maine, USA   USA
I put a good sized third brake light on the upper edge of the trunk lid, put an LED bulb in it, and hooked a blinker to it -- when you hit the brakes it blinks fast five times, then slow three times, then steady red.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I got hit like that about 1970. Truck behind me did not see me in front of him. As a semi driver I can tell you that even a full size car that cuts you off on a ramp is invisible. I talked to a driver in Virginia one day, he stopped because he thought a headlight had fallen out and was shining sideways. He was pushing a Ford Explorer down the road that came off a ramp and cut him off without him ever seeing it. Where you need the highest point is on front of car, Tall antenna with a LED on to might help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
hoggie Avatar
hoggie Mike Hogan
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA   USA
My car has a factory radio antenna. I would always run a flag at the top just so people could see something if I was in an inside lane at a four lane intersection where I was hidden next to a larger car. Works like the dune buggy flag.

eglocke Avatar
eglocke Ernie Locke
Greenwood, Indiana, USA   USA
I had a similar incident, but sans contact thankfully just this week. I had turned left off a highway onto a street and a 4x4 truck came out of a parking lot to my left in my path. I hit the horn (I have a big horn and recommend it for all Midgets) and the brakes (not so big) and narrowly avoided contact. He pulled over and stuck his head out the window saying he was sorry and could not see me. I asked if heard the horn and he said, "yeah, I heard that," to which I replied, "THEN STOP!!!" My wife was really shaken since she had no control in the passenger seat. We do our best to avoid the situation by keeping to country roads, not getting beside another vehicle when on a highway, and such, but some situations seem inevitable. We talked about the orange flag thing, but are not sure how much help it would be. I suppose something is better than nothing.

Bearcat78 Avatar
Bearcat78 Barnes B
London, London, UK   GBR
I had similar incident a few years ago parked up next to the curb waiting fir you girlfriend. Big black 4x4 tried to park on top of me, it was only through wacking the horn and his passenger looking out the window that he stopped. Thankfully the rubber bumpers took the brunt of it, no major damage. He was apologetic.
I don't envy you folks driving them over the pond, european cars are fairly small compared to SUVs.

mgtonyditter Avatar
mgtonyditter Tony Ditter
Brookhaven, New York, USA   USA
I have pondered this city driving visibility problem and the idea I came up with
was to build a telescoping faux roll bar type of rig solely to hold a second set
of tail lights high up , that or build something like the extendable scissoring
roof light bar NYPD Highway Patrol cars use but tucked in behind the seats
Of course with the top up is another problem and all are still in the R&D stage

Wild guess but was it a Dollar van ?

tzink Trevor Zink
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I've been riding motorcycles for 10 years, so I drive my Midget like I ride my bike: Like I'm invisible. If you don't require anyone else to see you, it doesn't matter if they see you or not. Obviously doesn't always work (as the stories above show), but I just always assume everyone's primary goal on the road is to kill me, and my primary goal is to avoid being killed!

HMDIV Avatar
HMDIV Harry Dent
In reply to # 3532895 by mgtonyditter
Wild guess but was it a Dollar van ?

Allot of creative ideas here. I am thinking of an antenna where the factory antenna was with a flag, maybe a lil LED too. I think it will be helpful for the moron bump parkers for when I have to street park.

It was not a Dollar van (probably would have just sped off) , It was an HVAC repair van. He was quick to admit guilt and was very courteous. I think I am the #1 consumer of midget tail lights, the city is not kind to them. I just wish people were more attentive, I am so aware of my surroundings when I am driving, this dude had been behind me for blocks and managed to forget i was ahead of him...confused smiley

CountBasey Avatar
CountBasey Thomas Basey
Brunswick, Ohio, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Opus"
I'm with the motorcycle guy above - I drive like I'm invisible.

I've had at least two close calls with Hummers that are changing lanes and don't see me next to them. On 4 lane roads (2 each direction) I don't stay next to any vehicle for any longer than it takes to pass them.

Never thought about the "hit from behind" issue - until now! (gulp). Guess the "don't get killed" game just went up a level...

Thomas (Count) Basey
Member of Emerald Necklace MG Register - www.mgcleveland.com

“With each replacement of parts, my British car slowly becomes Chinese.”

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
I have the same experiences of people not seeing me, even in my MINI (which , BTW, is BRIGHT RED!). it scares the bejesus out of me when I check my rearview and all I can see is GRILLE, no lights, just GRILLE.
The BE is worse as it sits lower than original. I've been pushed off of the road in both of these cars, but haven't come up with a viable solution to the no-see'um issue.
It would help if people would just put their dam phones away when they drive though. hot smiley rant over.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

eglocke Avatar
eglocke Ernie Locke
Greenwood, Indiana, USA   USA
You guys are robbing my joy. Get out in the country and love the experience!

HMDIV Avatar
HMDIV Harry Dent
In reply to # 3533050 by AN5L8016 I have the same experiences of people not seeing me, even in my MINI (which , BTW, is BRIGHT RED!). it scares the bejesus out of me when I check my rearview and all I can see is GRILLE, no lights, just GRILLE.
The BE is worse as it sits lower than original. I've been pushed off of the road in both of these cars, but haven't come up with a viable solution to the no-see'um issue.
It would help if people would just put their dam phones away when they drive though. hot smiley rant over.

There is a Mini in my neighborhood that makes me scared for the driver(also has car seats in the back) The pot-holes are really bad on some streets and I cant imagine it in a car even smaller than the midget.

I saw the GRILLE in the rear view so I turned to yell at the guy. Its so common for cars to start honking the SECOND the light turns green which drives me insane! If someone does this to me ill often turn my head very slowly and give them a "really?!?!" look before taking off.

I get up to the country as much as I can!

Alan Avatar
Alan Alan Warschaw
Long Beach, CA, USA   USA
Sorry to hear what happen to you, good to hear you are ok.

I also drive my Midget like a motorcycle. I TRY to keep the car in the best place in my lane. I TRY not to stay on anyone quarter panel too long. I know that would not have help you.

But the fact we all have to understand their are people that will never see you no matter what you drive or ride. The best we can do is keep the car with space between cars and have escape route in mind.

I also don't run my car alongside big truck for fear of them throwing a tread. I either pass them or fall back but won't run next to them.

I wish you luck in finding a solution.

tomshobby Avatar
tomshobby Tom Smith
Windsor, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Several members of our LBC group here in Wisconsin were out for a nice evening drive tonight. The guy that was following us let me know that my brake lights were not working. A problem I was sure I had fixed. After dinner we were leaving the sports pub we had stopped at and I noticed the brake lights in his MGA were not working either.

Tom Smith
1974 Midget
1976 TR6

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster