Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Texson Avatar
Texson Steve Caudle
Nacogdoches, Texas, USA   USA
The 64 (I'm told) MK1 needs a title. The former owner has lost it. I cannot find the VIN number on the car. I have looked under the carbs on the rail where it should be, I'm told, and it appears that nothing has been there. Was told to look around the shock areas for a stamped number. Also not there. I looked at the floor plan on right side and again nothing. Is it possible this is not a late model Mk1 and the number is somewhere else? I cannot start on restoration until it is legally mine. The only number I can find other than the body numbers is the engine number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1963 MG Midget MK1
Steve "Texson" Caudle
Nacogdoches Texas
"The Oldest Town in Texas"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
the vin number is stamped onto the plate where the RH damper is mounted

in this photo it would be along the rear edge of the plate that is on the left hand side of the photo with the three threaded holes in it, near the upstanding flange (this photo is too far away and the light is not good to see the numbers)

paint will have filled in the numbers so you will probably need to use some sand paper to see them clearly, if necessary remove the RH damper first to have more room/access

all that will be stamped is the 5 or 6 digit serial number portion of the VIN, the letters at the beginning you can figure out by using the VIN information in the Moss catalog, or in the Library on this website

hopefully this is helpful,

Norm

Attachments:
DSC01538.jpg    73.4 KB
DSC01538.jpg

Texson Avatar
Texson Steve Caudle
Thanks Norm. I will try that tomorrow.

1963 MG Midget MK1
Steve "Texson" Caudle
Nacogdoches Texas

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Right in the area where the brake line is pictured. However, with paint and dirt covering it, it may be difficult, if not impossible to see. I don't think the floor board number came until later. If you have the original engine number and doorplates, the LH one, as well as engine tuber can be traced to original chassis number through BMIHT. It is an official factory document. so have used certificates as documentation for DMV to obtain a new title.

Also, what you will find on the shock mount is just the serial number, not the full code ID-ing the car.

More info on that here:

http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/bmihtWS.htm

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-20 02:29 AM by pixelsmithusa.

Attachments:
IMGP2430.JPG    45.3 KB
IMGP2430.JPG

Texson Avatar
Texson Steve Caudle
Thanks Norm. I found it. Your pic was a big help.

1963 MG Midget MK1
Steve "Texson" Caudle
Nacogdoches Texas

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster