1977 MG Midget 1500 no spark...

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Reuse them.... make sure you use the best head gasket:" Payen" brand.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cursichella Charles M
St Helena, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3527186 by dryrot At this point, all things being equal, I wouldn't replace them myself...

That's a relief for my wallet. Thanks for the relieving post.

In reply to # 3527191 by Mojan Reuse them.... make sure you use the best head gasket:" Payen" brand.
Ditto, thank you for the suggestion!

dryrot Richard Harding
Waldoboro, Maine, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "The Tick"
Replacing them would have entailed removing the old, chasing the threads, removing any crud (swarf) in the holes, and installing new studs, making sure not to bottom out studs, but leaving a thread from the bottom for expansion. All of which explains why I would do this in a drastic rebuild with the engine out of the car and on a stand where blowing out the holes with the engine on it's side becomes easy and not with the engine in the car as for a head gasket replace. DON'T over intellectualize this project, which will reduce you to a mass of jello. Read the manual and, as with the video, everything will make sense. Check Utube for videos also, good luck, Richard.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ODC427R tim carter
Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa   ZAF
1983 MG MGF "Sredni Vastar VI"
There is nothing wrong with the 1500 Midget engine. OK, it's a triumph, but nothing wrong with that, it's a good motor. Better than something from the far east, anyway. Remember that the first nissan - and the first bmw - were Austin Sevens built under licence.

Just keep going, it will come right.

My TF160i has a land-rover engine, it's from a freelander! Pulls like a trojan, and and reliable as my favourite boots. You can't get better than British Engineering when the Engineers are allowed the do their own thing, We're fairly good at that.

tim

cursichella Charles M
St Helena, CA, USA   USA
Doesn't the 1500 have that thrust washer problem? Otherwise I don't see how it's a bad engine.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Have you removed the cylinder head?

cursichella Charles M
St Helena, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3528474 by Mojan Have you removed the cylinder head?

I haven't been able to, it rained today. Don't have a garage so I'm forced to have it outside under covers. I also need to get the head gasket and a torque wrench from the auto store. I'll try doing it tomorrow when it clears up.

Thanks for checking, though. I'll post updates.

cursichella Charles M
St Helena, CA, USA   USA
Took the intake/exhaust manifold off as well as the catalytic converter. No wonder why the car is a gross polluter, the vaporized catalyst inside fell out when I tipped the thing over.

cursichella Charles M
St Helena, CA, USA   USA
Update; head is removed. Gasket was blown in the suspected area, but it also looks like the rings on the first two pistons are in bad shape. Does this mean I need to pull the engine?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-20 01:45 PM by cursichella.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Picture please

dickmoritz Avatar
dickmoritz Gold Member Dick Moritz
Philly 'burbs, PA, USA   USA
it also looks like the rings on the first two pistons are in bad shape

What exactly does that mean?

Dick

In reply to # 3536431 by cursichella Update; head is removed. Gasket was blown in the suspected area, but it also looks like the rings on the first two pistons are in bad shape. Does this mean I need to pull the engine?

Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
(Often wrong, but always certain)

cursichella Charles M
St Helena, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 3536465 by dickmoritz it also looks like the rings on the first two pistons are in bad shape

What exactly does that mean?

Dick

In reply to # 3536431 by cursichella Update; head is removed. Gasket was blown in the suspected area, but it also looks like the rings on the first two pistons are in bad shape. Does this mean I need to pull the engine?
Never mind, that was a bad diagnosis, I apologize. At first I poured gasoline into the first two cylinders and eventually it leaked down after about 10 minutes. At first I thought this meant the rings were bad and not sealing. I then tried it on the last two cylinders and the same thing happened, but I remembered that the last two sealed properly when I did the wet compression test. Upon closer inspection of the head gasket, it seems like it was just the gasket the entire time.

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
Gasoline is going to work it's way down in a new engine, it goes trough the gaps in the rings.

dryrot Richard Harding
Waldoboro, Maine, USA   USA
1975 MG MGB "The Tick"
Glad the rings aren't broken, another time use light oil, like 5-20 as you won't have to change the oil like you will now with the gas. If you got antifreeze in the cylinders you'd need to change it also. I thought I remembered you saying you'd just changed the oil that's all. With just enough oil to barely cover the pistons, leaking down evenly is what you'd be looking for. Seems to be your lucky (relatively speaking) day. Check the head for flatness with a good straight edge or known flat surface to ensure no repeat of the gasket going, also the block surface, especially between the cylinders that leaked. Jaguar recommended the use of Barrs leaks with the V12 so if you have any doubts about the surface of the head or block and can't have them milled use that. It may clog the heater or radiator core though so don't over do it. Good luck and keep us posted, Richard.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Make sure you clean the head and block really good this is very important. Then before start the car change the oil for sure.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster