Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Silver Member Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
It's time to chsnge my tired old rubber brake hoses...

I haven't been real pleased with the quality of rubber parts lately, so I was just wondering if anybody's had any experience with the stainless steel braided hoses?
I would think being stainless, they would be more durable than rubber.
I've heard they will give a better pedal feel.

Any thoughts, options?

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
no downside, stainless braided for all of my cars

dlrhine Avatar
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Thanks Norm...thumbs up

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Agree with Norm, can't beat them for feel. Recommend Goodridge brand from AH spares. They fit perfectly and from AH spares are considerably cheaper than from the usual suspect.

Kurt.

Bernd Kamenicky Avatar
Bernd Kamenicky Bernard Kamenicky
Altlengbach, Lower Austria, Austria   AUT
1971 MG MGB MkII "The Blue One"
Kurt and Norm x2
Don't forget the one to the rear axle.
Even the clutch one gives imho a better feeling (maybe self fulfilling prophecy)
br
bernd

dlrhine Avatar
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
Thanks guys, that was quick positive input! eye popping smiley

I ordered stainless hoses thumbs up

perfectpitch Avatar
perfectpitch Charles Windsor (Disabled)
Disabled Account, Antarctica   ATA
I like stainless covered flex lines just fine. Of course it is a rubber hose inside the SS braidwork. You asked for pros and cons, so the cons do exist. They can make it harder or impossible to assess the condition of the rubber, because you cannot see it. Of course (pro) the SS braid protects the rubber from UV damage. I have had plain rubber lines front and rear on racing and street cars and also SS covered, and you cannot tell any difference in pedal. between the two.

I have never let those lines get bad enough to have affect on brake feel on either a race car or street car, but I have heard that the pedal will get "mysteriously" mushy despite repeated bleeding's if the lines rubber gets mushy itself, without splitting and spilling fluid. Another con is along those lines, but similar to con above. What happens is the rubber beneath the SS braid gets old and starts leaking through a split or where the end fitting is attached, and sort of spreads out along the length of the flex line between the rubber and SS, gradually weeping out such that you mistake it for road dust and oil and wipe it off with a rag, not realizing it is brake fluid slowly leaking.

Trick with either type lines is get on a definite schedule of replacement. And remember these flex lines are aging and becoming no good over time from the outside, and using silicone Dot5 fluid does not mean these lines can be ignored. They wear out just as fast with Dot 3/4 or with Dot5.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
actually, braided stainless brake lines have PTFE or Teflon inner linings, not rubber

But Charles is right, they should also be replaced after, say 10 years in use, like tires or other flexible parts that may degrade over time, to maintain best performance.

N

perfectpitch Avatar
I agree with Norm at 10 years for street cars. Nothing stopping you from doing it more often if you feel like it. If you get your hands on good flex hoses they will have the PTFE or something just as good on the inner layers of the "rubber". Soon enough somebody will start selling some junk SS flex hoses, and we will hear people saying SS braid flex hoses are no good because of one bad maker. ALways compare new to old, and if the new seem to be junk, send them back for your money back and try somewhere else.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
It's been my experience that you get a harder more sure feeling pedal with the SS hoses over standard. I have different cars fitted with the SS and standard for comparison. One a 65 and the other a 66. Even though the rubber hoses are new on the 65 I'm very tempted to change them just for the improved feel. Of course the pads and shoes are not the same so I could be getting a false reading.

Kurt.

perfectpitch Avatar
Do the experiment Kurt. Swap hoses from one to the other and after bleeding see if your theory holds. Whenever you pay 3-4 times the money for something, you have a tendency to really want the more expensive to behave better. Sort of a placebo effect. Or wrap your thumb and forefinger around the front rubber flex line sometime and have another person step on the brakes. Our hands are quite sensitive and can judge if the hose is expanding, which is the only reason why pedal would feel different. Then do the same with the SS front line. Keep in mind the braid of SS around the hose is not so tight it forces the rubber not to expand. Cut up an old one some time and see what you can stick between the braid and rubber and yu will see the SS braid actually will allow for expansion. It is all about the quality of the "rubber" line and the SS braid is a performance smoke and mirror. LIke I said earlier, I am not against SS braid. The SS also protects from abrasions that the regular "rubber" ones are prone to when driving through blackberry bushes or whatever.

200mph Avatar
200mph Platinum Member Mike Joy
Lake Norman, NC, USA   USA
Hi Dave,

Our experience has been that the stainless hoses give a much firmer pedal feel.

To Charles' point, the hose runs on a Midget are quite short, and there are only three. The effect may not be as pronounced as we found on our race cars with four hoses, and longer runs.

While I would hesitate putting these on cars driven on salt-encrusted roads in winter, I'd say they are a good upgrade for our MGs.

"Have you ever thought... Everyone driving slower than your MG is a MORON, everyone driving faster must be a FREAKING IDIOT!". . . George Carlin

tkamd73 Avatar
tkamd73 Silver Member Tim Bradley
Menomonee Falls, WI, USA   USA
Iv'e had the Goodridge ones on my B for over 10 years, I like the firmer brake pedal. Just bought a set for the 6.
Tim

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Charles, its hard enough to bleed one let alone two!grinning smiley If I do a comparison it will be when I swap out the rubber hoses I have on the 65 now.

Kurt.

dlrhine Avatar
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
I've got Goodridge stainless hoses on the way.
I'll install & report back...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster