Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jimbenedict Avatar
jimbenedict Silver Member Jim Benedict
Waterford, MI, USA   USA
I will go first. It was around 1975 and found a 1950s Ferrari Super Fast convertible peaking out of a garage far into the country- Metamora, MI. The car was not ran for years and showed 40K miles. Owner was an old widowed woman. I did not follow up on the car. Probably could not afford it anyways, but I was a well paid tech at Chrysler world headquarters.

The car was actually written up in an article some 20 years later. The president of Pan-Am searched records at the Ferrari factory & found the car. He flew to Metamora, MI and bought the car. Seeing only a few were built it was valued at $10M.

The woman was in Switzerland at a car show in the 1950s & saw the Ferrari. She wanted to buy it on the spot, but the car was sold to another person. So, although already a special production car not normally built in a convertible, Ferrari built one for her.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-09 08:27 AM by jimbenedict.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
1982- Ferrari prices were in the toilet, I came across a 365 GTB/4, owner wanted a paltry $5500 for it. I was working as an assembler at the time-$8/hr (good pay for no college diploma), had to pass and buy a SAAB 99 for $1200 so I could still feed myself. Pah! it would only be worth ~$1M now.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Well, you guy's have me beat but I have two major regrets that I came very close to buying. First was a 904 Porsche on its trailor for 9K . At the time it was just an old no longer competitive race car. I was going to turn it into a "Cafe" racer of sorts and run it on the street. Second was a XR750 Harley that I had similiar plans for. Could have had it for $800. Then there was the XKE that I sold for $15K!eye rolling smiley

Kurt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
omahawg Avatar
omahawg Dallas Tipton
Beebe, Arkansas, USA   USA
I graduated in 2002. When I was in high school, I had an 85 Ford LTD that was actually in really good shape, just not cool. I had paid about $500 for it from a great uncle that bought something else.

A girl at school wanted to trade me her 64.5 Mustang for it. It didn't run, and the back glass had been recently busted out. Perfect original paint and rust free. It only needed a tune up and battery to run.

I let my grandmother convince me that you don't trade a running car for a non running one.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Sometime around 1975-76 I was in the last years of my newspaper route and already a vintage car fan. Spotted a Mercedes 190SL coupe (with hardtop) in someone's teeny tiny equipment shed. The car was white, covered in bird dung, and up to it's axles in soft earth. Could never find the owner at home. Turns out the house was set to be demolished and I always wondered if the car was removed before the shed was bulldozed. My guess is that car made it out alive, but I always regret not acting on it when I saw it.

PS: A newspaper customer had a blue Abarth in their backyard that I never inquired about either. My first car was a $50 Ford Sunliner purchased with newspaper money.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-09 10:04 AM by littlecars.

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
Had a 70 nova in high school. Come to class one morning boy asks if I wanted to trade. He offered his car + 200 cash. He was pissed at it because he couldn't get the carbs right. I said no. After all mine ran fine. Years later I still feel dumb. He had a roadrunner with a 440 wedge and a 4 speed. I still get sick thinking how much it would bring now.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Homerr Avatar
Homerr Jeff Kogut
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
1966 MG Midget MkII "For Sale?"
1970 MG Midget MkIII "Midget On A Spit"
1971 MG Midget MkIII "The Donor"
1975 MG Midget MkIV "General MG"
In 1993 I nearly a 1970 'Cuda (383/4-speed) with Shaker hood for $2800. At the same time I was courting a 1971 Challenger R/T with 340/4-speed for $3500. They were each worn drivers, but no rust. Looking back I should have bought both.

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
In 1974 I passed on a 1969 Road Runner. It had been special ordered in it's day, 426 hemi with dual 4-barrel Holley carbs and a 4 speed. The test drive was incredible but I passed on it because it was 5 years old.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
1973 trade my running Bugeye for an AC Aceca? Even up?

stupidstupidstupidstupid

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
BusyB Platinum Member Sherman Bird
Houston, Texas, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB MkIV "Jerzy"
I feel you, man. When I was a hapless youth in high school, I delivered auto parts part time. One shop in particular had a seemingly old, delapidated white with blue stripes, 1969 Pontiac Trans Am sitting behind their building. It was obvious that the car hadn't run in a long time. The shop owner wanted to sell that car for 300 dollars. Keep in mind, the mortgage on my house was 80 dollars a month. I thought this car was junk, and passed on the opportunity to buy it, and someone else did. The caveate? It was one of only a very few CONVERTIBLE 1969 Trans Ams ever built. One of those went at auction a number of years ago for a veritable fortune. Who knew?

ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
My first car was a 1956 DeSoto FireFlight with a hemi that my Dad had given me. Sold it for what I thought was something better. Price one now.! I also had a 1936 Chevy business coupe that I sold to my Dad's partner when I went into the USAF in 1970. He was killed in a car accident. When they went to sell it at his estate auction he had disassembled it to restore but someone had stolen one front fender. Aargh!

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Poupon"    & more
Oh, I forgot I almost traded my beater 1970 Toyota Corona sedan for a 69 Lemans convertible in an even trade sometime around 1980. The woman owner said it was a gas guzzler and wanted something economical. The Lemans was an AC car, bucket seats, deep green finish in need of a basic tune up. Drat! I kept the Toyota and let her get away!

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
Fifteen years ago I sold my (great condition) 1965 Porsche 912 sunroof delete and rare 5 speed for $2500. Pricing them in the same condition these days it would be worth a heck of a lot more! Oh well...

66jalopy Avatar
66jalopy Silver Member Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   USA
I passed on an Aplha Romeo Giulia in 1966 for $200.00. It had a cracked windshield. Of course the ones I have sold cheap are now fairly high $$$ 65 Cooper S, 61 23 window Samba VW, etc.

circeonya Avatar
circeonya Malcolm Hill
Mt Eliza, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1931 Austin 7
1967 MG MGB
1973 MG MGB GT V8 Conversion "Yellow Terror"
In my youth in the late fifties I was driving my first car an Austin 7. In a local car yard was a running (just) SS jaguar/ Super Swallow roadster for 60 pounds. Three weeks wages in those days so I passed. But we have to get real over our regrets, five house moves, two marriages, would I have kept it ? It does not stop me drooling when I see one though!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster