Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jimbenedict Avatar
jimbenedict Silver Member Jim Benedict
Waterford, MI, USA   USA
With Spring around the corner in MI, I look forward to many months of driving my MG Midget. However, it's time to perform a little maintenance. Overall the 60K mile car is in good condition.

I found out this winter my front disc brakes were shot. The car is new to me last winter. I am installing new replacement discs with new brake pads plus repacking the front bearings. I am replacing the wheel bolts too as I do not know the history and common over-torqueing the bolts can cause bolt fractures. These bolts are only rated for 30 ft lbs torque.

I decided to replace the mechanical fuel pump as the car ran, but I did not find any fuel flow for 5 seconds with the fuel line disconnected from the carburetor & engine still running. Likely I was driving on a prayer last winter. We had a few 70F days this winter- go figure.

I notice the starter bendix would kick out once in a while on cold starts, so a new starter will be installed. The front-end is tight, but the rubber boots on the tie-rod ends are rotten allowing water/dust in the joints. So, new tie-rod ends with a front-end alignment will be performed.

Finally the only work I will personally perform, is installing a new modern AM-FM MP3 stereo radio and four new speakers. the radio is 25 watts per channel so no amplifier is needed. I do not blast my stereo while driving. I bench tested the new stereo and was shocked how much better it sounded vs the old mono AM-FM radio. I have two Alpine 6 x 9 inch speakers for the rear interior panel and two Kicker 3-1/2 inch speakers for the radio box. The Kicker 41KSC354 has the perimeter ring spacer to keep speaker cone from hitting the grill. Be careful as some 3-1/2 inch speakers do not have the ring spacer.

Enjoy the new driving season.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 MG Magnette ZB

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links