AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

VC venezia Avatar
VC venezia Vito Venezia
Calistoga, California, USA   USA
Hey guys,

In the past, I've managed to get my car to fire after changing the fuel filter, though I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Before that, it would start but it sputtered and hesitated for like 3 minutes before dying. After changing the fuel filter and adding some new gas, It ran normally for about 5 minutes before dying instantly and going back to its original state. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I've tried starting it while feeding it gas directly via gravity without any luck. Now all of a sudden, it doesn't even start at all.. I've changed the spark plugs, changed the fuel filter, replaced the fuel tank (original was rusted), checked the distributor cap, added dashpot oil into the dampener, etc.. it still won't start. It'll have moments where it'll fire once before dying immediately after. It also tends to fire while I'm cranking but it's not enough to actually start the engine. It had a bit more pep trying to fire when it was connected via jumper cables to another car of mine. I also checked the spark plugs for any spark while cranking the engine, and it seemed neither blue nor yellow in color. It's kind of neutral and a bit weak, though admittedly the battery wasn't fully charged at the time.

I know I'm supposed to check one thing at a time instead of going back and forth changing parts out, but I keep jumping to conclusions. The spark plugs that were in it before were actually in bad shape, so I was hoping that changing them out with new ones would solve the problem once and for all. I was wrong. The only things I haven't checked are the ignition coil and the condenser.

Has anyone ever encountered a similar phenomenon before? I'm stumped.

Thankfully, the only thing I've purchased during this entire debacle was the new fuel tank.

Automotive Experts are laughing at me right now.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
ken472 Avatar
ken472 Ken Petersen
Luverne, MN, USA   USA
Sounds like the ballast resistor could be bad.

VC venezia Avatar
VC venezia Vito Venezia
In reply to # 3494678 by ken472 Sounds like the ballast resistor could be bad.

Didn't even think of that. Is there a way to test it with a multimeter?

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA

In reply to # 3494688 by VC venezia

VC venezia Avatar
VC venezia Vito Venezia
In reply to # 3494690 by Mojan

In reply to # 3494688 by VC venezia

Thanks, I'll test it and post results.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Have you check the Point set?
Also you can spray some Starter into your intake/carbrator, if your car runs for few second and then dies then it means you have full problem and nothing is wrong with the electronics.

VC venezia Avatar
VC venezia Vito Venezia
In reply to # 3494705 by Mojan Have you check the Point set?
Also you can spray some Starter into your intake/carbrator, if your car runs for few second and then dies then it means you have full problem and nothing is wrong with the electronics.

Yeah I checked the points, they seemed fine.

Starter fluid had a negligible effect if any. Maybe helped once but not any more than that.

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
It sounds like to me that your original problem was a fuel issue as you had just changed your fuel filter. Since you changed the tank I will tell you that you should double check every connection. I'm assuming you still have the mechanical fuel pump. The fuel pump must draw the fuel from the tank, a loose connection can allow it to draw air. The fuel pump is the next question I have. Remove the fuel line from the carb and have someone turn the engine over to make sure you are getting fuel pumped to the engine. You will want to have something to catch the fuel when doing this. The pressure will not be great, 2-3 lbs pressure is all if you have the mechanical pump. If all that is correct then I would suspect the choke. If you still have the water choke it may not be adjusted right. It may not be fully closing for starting a cold engine. There are some good videos available on how to fix this problem.

The spark is probably ok, though I would definitely check your points. You said you had spark so I wouldn't worry about that right now.

When ever you are having trouble starting a car make sure you have a strong battery. It just makes it easier on the engine to start if the engine turns over faster and the ignition system will work better at full charge. When I am having trouble starting a car I put a battery charger on the car first, it just eliminates that as a problem source.

JMac
JMAC Engine Shop
http://www.jmacengineshop.com

VC venezia Avatar
VC venezia Vito Venezia
In reply to # 3494868 by jmac It sounds like to me that your original problem was a fuel issue as you had just changed your fuel filter. Since you changed the tank I will tell you that you should double check every connection. I'm assuming you still have the mechanical fuel pump. The fuel pump must draw the fuel from the tank, a loose connection can allow it to draw air. The fuel pump is the next question I have. Remove the fuel line from the carb and have someone turn the engine over to make sure you are getting fuel pumped to the engine. You will want to have something to catch the fuel when doing this. The pressure will not be great, 2-3 lbs pressure is all if you have the mechanical pump. If all that is correct then I would suspect the choke. If you still have the water choke it may not be adjusted right. It may not be fully closing for starting a cold engine. There are some good videos available on how to fix this problem.

The spark is probably ok, though I would definitely check your points. You said you had spark so I wouldn't worry about that right now.

When ever you are having trouble starting a car make sure you have a strong battery. It just makes it easier on the engine to start if the engine turns over faster and the ignition system will work better at full charge. When I am having trouble starting a car I put a battery charger on the car first, it just eliminates that as a problem source.

Yeah, its been a PIA trying to get the car working with the battery dying every time. I charge it every night at this point with a battery tender charger that I got off of Amazon.

I'm honestly not sure whether it's fuel related or not. The fuel filter change might have just been a mere coincidence. I've tried starting the car while feeding the fuel directly into the Carburetor with a funnel, and I've also tried using an electric fuel pump that I used previously to siphon gas out of the fuel tank. Neither really worked, unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 09:56 AM by VC venezia.

VC venezia Avatar
VC venezia Vito Venezia

Looks like the car doesn't have a ballast resistor, multimeter gave a reading in the 12 volt range.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
Looks like an electrical issue to me... have u checked the condenser ?

VC venezia Avatar
VC venezia Vito Venezia
In reply to # 3494970 by Mojan Looks like an electrical issue to me... have u checked the condenser ?

I haven't checked the condenser. Is that in the distributor?

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA
check this one out for location of condenser:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29338&SortOrder=110

but if you have electronic set point could be outside of the distribute.
Maybe this is the issue and you are missing condenser?

VC venezia Avatar
VC venezia Vito Venezia
In reply to # 3495143 by Mojan check this one out for location of condenser:
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29338&SortOrder=110

but if you have electronic set point could be outside of the distribute.
Maybe this is the issue and you are missing condenser?

I'm not sure, I'll take a look now. Could the car even run without a condenser? It ran before with the same distributor.\

UPDATE: It does have a condenser, I see it on the side of the distributor. I'll test it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-21 02:01 PM by VC venezia.

Mojan Mojan Norouzi
Fremont, CA, USA   USA

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster