My Spridgets

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
On the front where the bolt goes through the bushing and maybe where the bushing fits in the eye of the leaf spring. On the rear shackles where the shackle goes through the bushing and maybe where the bushing fits in the eye of the leaf spring and also where the bushing goes into the bracket

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
use the clear grease that was supplied with the poly bushings on those

use anti-seize where there is metal on metal (like the bolt x the tube as you described, for easy removal 20 years from now)

but don't get any grease or oil in the rubber bushings (and try to keep anti-seize away from them) because natural rubber, and EPDM synthetic rubber, are both sensitive to petroleum in all of its various forms - getting grease on rubber is a no-no because it will tend to eat it up / melt

N

mickri Chuck Losness
No grease came with the poly bushings. I might have some silicon grease if that would work. Or what about teflon grease like I use to lubricate the stuffing box on my sailboat.

mickri Chuck Losness
Rear axle didn't go on today. I hadn't painted some of the parts like the u bolts and the brackets that the u bolts go through and they looked kind of junky next to the painted axle. These parts will get painted next week. Instead I removed the grill. It was a mangled mess and had to cut it to get it off as the mounting screws wouldn't turn with a screwdriver. Finally got the screws out with my visegrips. Also removed the front bumper brackets on my midget. One was bent to hell and back and the other had striped threads. The brackets on the sprite were in good shape and came right off. One of the midget brackets came off no problem but the other had a frozen bolt and the head twisted off. Another bolt to drill out. That makes four so far. Hopefully I won't have too many more. Nothing exciting. Just another day in the saga of resurrecting my midget.

Still looking for advice on what kind of grease to use on my poly bushings. Any suggestions.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
https://www.suspensionconnection.com/blog/how-to-properly-grease-a-polyurethane-bushing/

In reply to # 3571772 by mickri Still looking for advice on what kind of grease to use on my poly bushings. Any suggestions.

mickri Chuck Losness
Thanks Rick. I have some white lithium grease.

mickri Chuck Losness
Learned something new to me today. But you old hands probably already know this. Still I thought that I would pass it on.

Took the doors off my 69 sprite today and tried to install them on my 66 midget. The doors bolted on just fine but wouldn't close. I tried to adjust them and got nowhere. Frustrating. So I was sitting in my thinking chair. Doesn't every shop have one? And was looking at my midget and my sprite. Back and forth. Back and forth. Then I realized that the door catches, locking plate, whatever you call it, were slightly different. They weren't the same. Took the catches off the sprite and installed them on midget. Success. The doors closed easily. So sometime between when my 66 midget was made and the 69 sprite was made they changed the door lock mechanism. Don't know when the change occurred.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Most likely the change was 11/'67 when all of the other FMVSS safety changes were made. Adoption of "anti-burst" door locks* was a typical required change for a lot of car makers at that time.

* ones that would not easily release when the body was being deformed in a collision

N

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster