My Spridgets

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mickri Chuck Losness
Squaw Valley, CA, USA   USA
On the front where the bolt goes through the bushing and maybe where the bushing fits in the eye of the leaf spring. On the rear shackles where the shackle goes through the bushing and maybe where the bushing fits in the eye of the leaf spring and also where the bushing goes into the bracket

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
use the clear grease that was supplied with the poly bushings on those

use anti-seize where there is metal on metal (like the bolt x the tube as you described, for easy removal 20 years from now)

but don't get any grease or oil in the rubber bushings (and try to keep anti-seize away from them) because natural rubber, and EPDM synthetic rubber, are both sensitive to petroleum in all of its various forms - getting grease on rubber is a no-no because it will tend to eat it up / melt

N

mickri Chuck Losness
No grease came with the poly bushings. I might have some silicon grease if that would work. Or what about teflon grease like I use to lubricate the stuffing box on my sailboat.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mickri Chuck Losness
Rear axle didn't go on today. I hadn't painted some of the parts like the u bolts and the brackets that the u bolts go through and they looked kind of junky next to the painted axle. These parts will get painted next week. Instead I removed the grill. It was a mangled mess and had to cut it to get it off as the mounting screws wouldn't turn with a screwdriver. Finally got the screws out with my visegrips. Also removed the front bumper brackets on my midget. One was bent to hell and back and the other had striped threads. The brackets on the sprite were in good shape and came right off. One of the midget brackets came off no problem but the other had a frozen bolt and the head twisted off. Another bolt to drill out. That makes four so far. Hopefully I won't have too many more. Nothing exciting. Just another day in the saga of resurrecting my midget.

Still looking for advice on what kind of grease to use on my poly bushings. Any suggestions.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
https://www.suspensionconnection.com/blog/how-to-properly-grease-a-polyurethane-bushing/

In reply to # 3571772 by mickri Still looking for advice on what kind of grease to use on my poly bushings. Any suggestions.

mickri Chuck Losness
Thanks Rick. I have some white lithium grease.

mickri Chuck Losness
Learned something new to me today. But you old hands probably already know this. Still I thought that I would pass it on.

Took the doors off my 69 sprite today and tried to install them on my 66 midget. The doors bolted on just fine but wouldn't close. I tried to adjust them and got nowhere. Frustrating. So I was sitting in my thinking chair. Doesn't every shop have one? And was looking at my midget and my sprite. Back and forth. Back and forth. Then I realized that the door catches, locking plate, whatever you call it, were slightly different. They weren't the same. Took the catches off the sprite and installed them on midget. Success. The doors closed easily. So sometime between when my 66 midget was made and the 69 sprite was made they changed the door lock mechanism. Don't know when the change occurred.

Kerr Avatar
Kerr Platinum Member Norm Kerr
Ann Arbor, MI, USA   USA
Most likely the change was 11/'67 when all of the other FMVSS safety changes were made. Adoption of "anti-burst" door locks* was a typical required change for a lot of car makers at that time.

* ones that would not easily release when the body was being deformed in a collision

N

mickri Chuck Losness
After dealing with some family issues for the past 6 weeks I am finally back home and working on my spridgets. My sprite is stripped of every part that I could get off of it. I will be cutting the hulk into 4 pieces so that I can lift it into my truck to take it to a scrap yard. When I cut it up I will probably save the battery tray because the one in my midget was rotted out. Other than the battery tray. I can't think of any of the remaining body parts that I should try to save. If anybody wants the hulk, come and get it. Once the hulk is gone I will start seriously looking for a 1982 to 1986 corolla donor car for an engine and transmission to swap into the midget.

I have also being doing body work on the midget. It is coming along. My next big body work issue is under the windshield
I haven't quite figured out how to pound it out yet. I welcome your suggestions.

And the saga of my sprigets, soon to be spridget, continunes.

Attachments:
IMG_3496.JPG    57 KB
IMG_3496.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG    47 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_3494.JPG    53.3 KB
metalhead Avatar
metalhead Andrew F
NSW, Australia   AUS
Great work so far. Keep us updated!

mickri Chuck Losness
I have been going through parts to keep from my sprite and parts to sell. I plan to use the instruments, speedo, tach and fuel gauge on my midget. The combo oil pressure temp gauge will get sold. I was comparing the the dash from the sprite to the midget's dash and think that I like the sprite's dash layout better than the midget's. I particularly like how the gauges are all clustered together on the sprite dash. But what to do about all that rotted padding on the sprite dash. One thought is to just strip it all off and paint the dash black. I could also cover the dash with some black Naugahyde glued to the dash. Another idea that would be really cool is if I could glue walnut veneer to the dash. Or maybe a combination of walnut veneer around the gauges and black Naugahyde every where else. Pictures of the two dashes are below.
I am planing on using separate oil pressure and water temp gauges. I will need 3 holes for gauges. One each for fuel, oil and temp. On the midget dash the only place for a 3rd hole is where the MG emblem goes. I don't know how that would look and I am not keen on modifying the midget dash only to decide later that I don't like it. I have no such qualms about the sprite dash because it will get tossed if I decide not to use it. So drill away. There is a place on the sprite dash on the far left side where there was a on off dial that I think controlled the heater. I would put the fuel gauge there and have the oil and temp gauges clustered with the tack and speedo.

What do you guys thing about my ideas?

Took the old foam off the sprite dash and did a rough test fit to see how it might look. It might look Ok painted black, maybe with a crinkle finish or covered with black naugahyde.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-07 05:41 PM by mickri.

Attachments:
IMG_3497.JPG    74.3 KB
IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3498.JPG    81 KB
IMG_3500.JPG    68.9 KB
IMG_3501.JPG    71.7 KB
Skeezix Avatar
Skeezix Rob Klyver
Playa Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
Its not all doom and gloom I started in 1991 with this
Its great therapy and easy to do now that there is the internet.
Pace yourself and enjoy the journey

61 Midget Mk 1 GAN1L/294*

Attachments:
IMG_4071.JPG    51.7 KB
IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG    29.8 KB
mickri Chuck Losness
Hi Rob
Gloom and Doom? No. Therapy? Yes. I enjoy making things and fixing things. I hope to have the body work done and the car primed by the end of the year. The only major body work left is the cowl. See picture in my previous posts. Once that is done I will begin filling and fairing in all of the little imperfections. I used a 3M acrylic glazing compound on some boat projections a few years back and plan to use it to finish off my midget.

The more I look at the sprite dash the more I like it. The fuel gauge fits on the far left corner of the sprite dash. More than a little funky over there but I can live with it. I will go with a black crinkle finish to start with. The interior will be black and I will paint the exterior white.

The saga continues.

mickri Chuck Losness
Keys
As I was cutting up the remains of the sprite so I can haul it off for scrap another key fell out of the trunk. It is also marked 69 sprite and it works on the door locks of the sprite doors. Didn't work on the ignition or the trunk. The first key that I found is different from the latest key. It has to be for either the trunk or the ignition but does not work in either.

I have been slowly pounding out the massive dent in the cowl. About 25% to 30% done so far. At this rate I should have it done by the end of next week.

The saga continues.

The first key is starting to turn the trunk latch. Turns about half way now. One of the pins must be stuck a little. Carb cleaner seems to be working on freeing it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 10:01 AM by mickri.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
Putting the fuel gauge on the left side of the steering wheel is kind of like putting it back where it was originally, at least on the MKI and MKII Sprites. I think that's a good location, you don't need to see the fuel gauge all of the time, so its still visible, but not pushing a critical engine gauge off to the side. That's a fair sized dent in the cowl, at least its a crease though, so it should work out a little at a time. Good work so far.

'58 Bugeye
'05 Mini Cooper S

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster