Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

FischerMG1 Avatar
FischerMG1 Mike Fischer
Luxemburg, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I thought this car would sell pretty fast, but there are so many out there that are nice cars as well... I guess holding on to her would'nt be the worst thing either. With all the MG's for sale out there I can't see it going up in value very fast? My first thought was to keep it and maybe in 10 years it would jump up in value but I just don't see that happening... Any thoughts on this????

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
Eventually the price will peak than drop off. That's the problem with deciding when to sell an old car. Sell it too soon and the price skyrockets on them a few years later. Wait too long and you lose your ----- on it. Plus I doubt the value if these cars will ever get that high there just isn't enough demand in the collector market for them. All that really matters is do you really want to sell and if so can you get it sold for the price you want.

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

dlrhine Avatar
dlrhine Silver Member Dave Rhine
Columbia, SC, USA   USA
My thoughts:
Too cold in the winter to seriously try to sell an old convertible.
April to October would surely be better.

We love these little cars, but MG Midgets aren't highly desirable classic cars to the general public...therefore limited potential buyers & they're old & dying off fast...

Good Luck!

If it ain't broke, I'll fix it 'til it is! winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 05:26 PM by dlrhine.

a.graham52 Aaron Grahan
Bar Harbor, Maine, USA   USA
Open exhaust manifold with 2 10" subs and... a stance... will open your vehicle to the younger market tongue sticking out smiley

Weber DGV
(idle/main/air) 55/160/165.
(secondary idle/main/air) 50/145/180.
1mm hole in primary throttle blade

jimbenedict Avatar
jimbenedict Silver Member Jim Benedict
Waterford, MI, USA   USA
I believe convertible sport cars will always have a demand. The MG Midget will slowly go up in value. But it is not a Jaguar, but is affordable. It also is a very good looking car IMO.

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Wish you were around a couple years ago when I was looking for a Midget. I got my '61 from California. Paid $6,600 including shipping and it wasn't OEM. I've got another $2k into it to get it close to OEM. Getting there is half the fun, though expensive!

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
Coupla years ago I stopped in Green bay on my way to Sister Bay, and looked a 61 Midget, bought it, and been driving it ever since. It's white. Wouldn't mind a green one. Probably head up there again in a month or so.......

In reply to # 3473009 by FischerMG1 I thought this car would sell pretty fast, but there are so many out there that are nice cars as well... I guess holding on to her would'nt be the worst thing either. With all the MG's for sale out there I can't see it going up in value very fast? My first thought was to keep it and maybe in 10 years it would jump up in value but I just don't see that happening... Any thoughts on this????

Thanks!

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
jimbenedict Avatar
jimbenedict Silver Member Jim Benedict
Waterford, MI, USA   USA
If I did not buy a local MG Midget this winter, I would have bought your car and ship from WI to MI. Place on ebay, it will sell. Or wait till this Spring. Your pre RB MG Midget is desirable.

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
Ship? I've taken my Midgets, and Mini to Grattan Racetrack quite a few times on the ferry! The Badger from Manitowoc to Ludington Great trip.

In reply to # 3473581 by jimbenedict If I did not buy a local MG Midget this winter, I would have bought your car and ship from WI to MI. Place on ebay, it will sell. Or wait till this Spring. Your pre RB MG Midget is desirable.

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Lizzy...SOLD!!"    & more
"place on eBay, it will sell"....????

For the record, regardless of the season, an Ebay listing doesn't guarantee a sale for a Midget! I listed my car with a thorough description and lots of photos. Dropped my price three times to a very uncomfortable level to part with it. The two high bidders above my reserve, came up with every excuse in the book to back out of the purchase. This is even after I agreed to deliver the car to their doorstep for no extra fee. One idiot even gave me excellent feedback for a car he never intended to pay for. Freak!

The season for convertibles in Tennessee is upon us. Too late for the ol' Purple Rat though. It is being cannibalized for everything to finish my 65 metal dash car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-22 02:26 PM by littlecars.

Gary G Avatar
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I think that part of the problem is that smaller cars and older people don't mix very well. Add to the mix today's highway speeds and your selling audience becomes even more limited.

Hey, folks, I'm from the MGB & GT forum, first visit here. How's everyone doing? Midget's are pretty cool, I've been a passenger in one once, it was fun trying to get out! But I managed it!

If I had the storage room and lived somewhere out in a small town I'd consider a Midget - or even a Spitfire.

Good luck with the sale. Patience is the key, the right buyer will come along one day!

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Hi Gary. Glad to see you crossed over. I was an MG-B owner back in the mid 70s. Loved that car! Sold it once I got married. Now I have a Midget. Actually enjoy the ride more than the B. Your right about getting out. I'm 64 and 5-10. About the max size for comfort in these cars. I think Mike's car is a great deal for the right guy. It will sell!

Gary G Avatar
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Thanks for the welcome! smiling smiley

To me a Midget is sort of like a Go-Cart I had when I was a kid. But it's motorized, my Go-Cart was a hand push job.

I think you're right about it being a lot of fun! One day....

In reply to # 3474840 by Chas 906 Hi Gary. Glad to see you crossed over. I was an MG-B owner back in the mid 70s. Loved that car! Sold it once I got married. Now I have a Midget. Actually enjoy the ride more than the B. Your right about getting out. I'm 64 and 5-10. About the max size for comfort in these cars. I think Mike's car is a great deal for the right guy. It will sell!

1974MGMidget Avatar
1974MGMidget Silver Member Jack Orkin
Grayson, Georgia, USA   USA
Peter, we did that trip from Manitowoc to Ludington on the Badger a few years ago! Great trip. There were 4 MGs and they let us load up first. The captain came to talk to us then gave us a tour. We're keeping old cars going and they're keeping old ships going!

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
I made the crossing both ways a few years ago for the Midget 50th celebration along with a half dozen or so other MG's. They had us drive on last, which meant we got to drive off first on the other side of the lake. We didn't get a tour though.

In reply to # 3475258 by 1974MGMidget Peter, we did that trip from Manitowoc to Ludington on the Badger a few years ago! Great trip. There were 4 MGs and they let us load up first. The captain came to talk to us then gave us a tour. We're keeping old cars going and they're keeping old ships going!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster