Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

zork Avatar
zork Gary Robinson
N.ft.myers, Florida, USA   USA
The cable that goes from the dash to the air inlet flapper next to the grill is shot. Have checked Moss
and others and it seems it is no longer carried by anyone. Any ideas where a replacement
can be found ? ?
Gary

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, New Hampshire, USA   USA
Gary, I have had good luck finding cables, from the bicycle industry.
I have used these on some of my motorcycle projects, where parts are made from"Unobtanium" cool smiley

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 3472556 by zork The cable that goes from the dash to the air inlet flapper next to the grill is shot. Have checked Moss
and others and it seems it is no longer carried by anyone. Any ideas where a replacement
can be found ? ?
Gary

????? No flapper, no cable

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
Wayne Burner Avatar
Chester, New Hampshire, USA   USA
Gary, my 1977, is a twist to open/close, and the light bicycle cables only pull well, not push.
Maybe a universal choke, or throttle cable, from a lawnmower repair shop would work better.
They have a stiff inner cable, and an even stiffer, wound outer sleeve, and can be cut to length, and bent to fit.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Moss Europe lists this one for '66-'67 cars (PN 5), but they are not available. I've never seen the flap mounted next to the radiator.

Attachments:
IMG_3027.JPG    76.1 KB
IMG_3027.JPG

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
If it helps, a softball fits nicely inside the hose at the motor end, effectively blocks the air, and is invisible.

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com
zork Avatar
zork Gary Robinson
N.ft.myers, Florida, USA   USA
It's not next to the radiator, on the right side of the grill, I think where they all are.
Problem solved, though. Hood release cables are available at most auto parts
stores. Should work just fine, will go for it.
Thanks all
Gary

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Hmmmm, I'm looking at the parts diagram above. If I remember right the 1959 BE I had in 1960 had the flapper between the blower and the heater box.
The only other place the flapper could have been would mounted would have been to the right of the radiator (from the drivers side) on the radiator support. Then, however, if you look at the parts diagram above, the position of the flapper is wrong because you need to have a cylindrical area for the air hose to clamp and not the flat flange.

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

Mick B Michael Bayes
Derby, Derbyshire, UK   GBR
I have a 1965 MK2 1098cc. When I dismantled the heater along with the whole engine bay I failed to note a few things. One strange addition I have to the early heater setup is an extra tube with flap between the heater and fan . The cable I have controls this, the larger flap prior to the fan has no cable and I don't know where one would have been.

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
I sold my complete ( less inlet hoses) 1962 heater assembly to Chuck ( chas906) it had the short metal tube with flapper that I assume went between the blower and heater box because the diameter was similar. It wasn't installed in my car when I got it so I'm not sure if it's correct position ( it was " installed " in the trunk) . None of the posted photos show where it goes , I would think you would want all the flappers open when the heat is on , but why have one after the blower ?

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
I always thought that through 66 all car's had the flapper valve between the blower and the heater unit. Fan switch is also on that cable. The flapper is the only way you have to control how much heat you get in the car if you have the water valve open. Do you have the blower motor switch? If so I would repair the cable with a piece of piano wire or a wire from a generic cable. I've done it before and it just amounts to a little soldering.

Kurt.

S1 Elan Kurt. Appley
Akron, Ia., USA   USA
Steve....on the early cars you can't close that flapper valve without turning off the switch. Its cammed to do that. At speed you don't need the blower and in fact I don't think it adds anything to the airflow but around town the blower is needed. The only reason I can see for moving the flapper valve to the air inlet opening would be to maybe give a bit more control of air flow??? Otherwise I would think it might restrict maximum air flow. In the summer you want all you can get and I'm thinking of making up a velocity stack of sorts for the intake to see if I can't get a bit more.

Kurt.

nonracer Gold Member Steve Codianni
AZ, USA   USA
That makes sense about the flapper , I was just curious since I hadn't seen it installed. My car is now heater delete since I live in the desert plus my new engine is in the way

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, Tennessee, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"
1974 MG Midget MkIII "Lizzy...SOLD!!"    & more
What is all this talk about heater control? It's been 83+ degrees in middle Tennessee these past few days. devil smiley

gapl1953 Avatar
gapl1953 Silver Member Greg L
Springbrook, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1961 MG MGA
I got mine off of eBay used but in like new condition for about $10.00 plus shipping.

1961 MG MGA 1600 MkI Coupe
1971 MG Midget
2013 Mini JCW Coupe

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster