The Perfect Road to Drive a Midget

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
He had at least one male with him. My brother-in-law was there I know for sure.

I'm glad you're so far across the pond, because I fear a lightning bolt coming from this side a little north of me, but, thank goodness, headed toward you. I'm sure Brian will retaliate. smiling smiley jim

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Well played, Brian. You gave him more of a touche, than a lightning bolt. Your post came in as I was finishing mine up and hitting the post message button. Now that you will tell me this, I do recall it, but it's been a while and my little grey cells aren't what Hercule Poirot's are.

By the way, my daughter, when I read Johnny's rendition to her, translated that to "no ass atoll ( at all). Just so you know. smiling smiley jim

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Lightening bolt!

Pour moi ?

Not seen a thunderbird yet, but guess anything sent to Brian will come back in trumps smiling smiley
Kinda rely on it (then again as my Dad always told me it's only ever lent).

Have a great weekend guys.
All the best Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 02:50 PM by johnnyw637.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Didn't post this earlier, Johnny, because I wasn't sure I would get to it today. I'm brewing up a batch of coffee Porter this afternoon/evening. Jan saw the 'coffee' on the porter label and that clinched that one. smiling smiley jim

Johnny, didn't know England had annexed Austria and made it part of Nottingham! Sounds like the work of Johnny Robin Warner Hood! devil smiley jim

This is a porter after all!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 09:15 PM by jimbvd.

Attachments:
IMG_20180113_210502976.jpg    51 KB
IMG_20180113_210502976.jpg

tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
1927 Ford Model TT "Henrietta"
1931 Ford Model A    & more
Jim, please edumacate me on a puzzling topic. Is a Coffee Porter one of those fancy little tables on four casters that your maid uses to serve coffee to you and the missus? You know, with the doilies covering the top?

The only other Porter I am familiar with were the two little steam locos we had at one of our coal mines back on the 40s.

A Hawk, full of.................cough syrup.

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
In reply to # 3661190 by jimbvd Well played, Brian. You gave him more of a touche, than a lightning bolt.

<snip>

Anyone can smack someone over the head with a sledgehammer, but where is the subtlety in that?

It takes a gentleman to do him quietly with a stiletto.

smoking smiley

Tony, due to the PC atmosphere currently in vogue, of which Brian is so enthusiastic!?!?, I can't really state what the other use of Porter was previously.

My wife saw the coffee Porter and stout among the other choices and pointed to those two as her options. As two of the last six I've brewed have been Guinness style stouts and one has been a Russian Imperial stout, I decided to go with her coffee addiction. (Like Paul, I hope she isn't reading this.) smiling smiley Always attempting to be ... Gentleman Jim

May I suggest bourbon... or scotch for your cough?They will stop your cough and they sure taste better! Of course, you may find yourself on your keister.

In reply to # 3661455 by tonyhawker Jim, please edumacate me on a puzzling topic. Is a Coffee Porter one of those fancy little tables on four casters that your maid uses to serve coffee to you and the missus? You know, with the doilies covering the top?

The only other Porter I am familiar with were the two little steam locos we had at one of our coal mines back on the 40s.

A Hawk, full of.................cough syrup.

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Hawk,
I'd go with some Hopkinsville cough remedy if available in a pint glass with or without a head (northern or southern variants).
Alternatively Jim's suggestion of a whisky or bourbon, but with the additions of honey, lemon juice and some boiling water (used first to disolve the honey and infuse the lemon juice, best done in a pottery mug)... the good old fail safe hot toddy.

Brian my weapon of choice is a cricket bat, not as subtle as yours but still gentlemanly. Goes well with GT ice and a slice, Pimms, whites, and cadish wire wheels smiling smiley

Took a look at this birds nest yesterday and decided to go old school. Not reverting to how it left the factory, but what I'd have done in my early days of owning cars, uprate to a more modern practical spec, ie blade fuse box with room for auxiliaries and easy to get at parts that might fail.

All the best Johnny

Attachments:
20180113_160800.jpg    38.3 KB
20180113_160800.jpg

20180113_160806.jpg    54.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180113_162759.jpg    46.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Morning, chaps!

Hawk; The item you refer to is called a trolley, totally useless in your current predicament. Johnny's recipe for a toddy is a good one, also a stone mug of black tea with honey and lemon and a stiff dram (as opposed to a wee dram) is quite good, the tea taking on the melting-of-honey function. Dr. Brian prescribes this on an "as needed (read as whenever the hell you want; at our ages it can't kill us now) basis".

Johnny; A cricket bat isn't bad, though in my old trade I did learn there is a certain satisfaction in the quizzical "did you really just do that" look on the face you just don't get with a bat or a hammer. Its a thing of beauty...

Agree about the rat's nest and the upgrade to blades, especially if you intend the Moggie as a somewhat more daily getter-of-things than the FM. One thing to perhaps mind is the fuse type. I assume the Moggie is a pre-relay car and still set up that way? Our old glass fuses have a max instantaneous rating and a much lower sustained load rating, so behave well enough for a sustained overload without melting at that initial spike a non-relay circuit like headlamps might produce when you throw the switch. If you find a blade fuse going off on a spikey sort of circuit, a slower blowing fuse or a relay the shunts the real power might be required before you waste a lot of time searching out a short that doesn't exist. But you know that already, of course.

Grin!

Speaking of driving on a more frequent basis, the weather you got, Jim, actually went north of us. We got almost 3" of rain from that system, but no snow and luckily not enough sleezle to trigger Penndot to run out to their ploughs giggling and clutching at their tinkles because they get to run amok drenching everything in their wake with their new runway-saline-dispenser toys. We got out yesterday and played on the fly-ash they use for grit on the B-roads (can't waste that lovely expensive devils-piss on the backwoods, thank God for that!), demonstrating powerslides to the Young Squire who is six months out of his learners permit so blokish instruction has already begun.

smoking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-14 09:03 AM by Sarge101st.

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
We saw Dan Gurney has passed...Indy, F1, sports cars, he did it all. Class act to boot...

Favorite memory was Gurney and Foyt winning Le Mans in Henry Ford II's GT-40 long-tail in 1967:

Killed the Ferrari dynasty and kept the party going until 1970 when the 917's took over. Man, that was fun...

Paul

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
I love the photo, complete with a Gurney Bubble on the roof.

You could always tell a GT40 that he drove; at over six feet tall he needed that dent in the roof to get his helmet in and head upright.

He and a lot of others lately will be missed here.

In other news, got three or four days in the Spit; supposed to snow tonight so probably at an end for the moment. Just in from fetching the Young Squire from the movie theatre; the only real foible sofar is the fact it does have to be coaxed and cajoled into firing up first thing on a 20f (tops) day. That Stromberg just doesn't coldstart like a Weber with a manual choke does. Once coaxed into action though, good for the whole day at the flick of the switch.

Grumpy Guy Observation; I know its not politic to say this, but dam these women in SUVs and crossovers are just an effing danger. In their world, driving is merely a task so driving well is not something they will ever achieve. Ever. They thus remain inattentive unskilled threats. They just don't seem to be interested...

Let's be careful out there.

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
Roads are pre-treated here, Brian...something must be on its way (the weather prognostication seems worse than ever).

Something as small as the Spitfire, Midget, B, even the BMW, seems to disappear into that vacuous space known as the SUV-blindspot...can't tell you how many times I've been run onto the shoulder by some inattentive driver who just comes-on-over. Maybe some of the "hey stupid, there's somebody in your blindspot" tech will be of use for us after all!

Paul

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
So did you pick Tad up in the Spitty then?
Also what does he think of it?

"My first car" !!!!!!! smiling smiley

Sarge101st Avatar
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny me son,

Yep, picked him up in Biggles. He's been out and about in it already, and very much enjoys being Grandson of Heaterboy!

I think his first car will be the Cruiser, though. As Paul mentions, Little Tiffany in her SUV doesn't look for low cars if she looks at all, and the Cruiser is safer to be whacked by her ("I was checking my phone" ) in than the Spit.

Paul, what do these lane departure warning things use as a datum, and are they disabled when Tiffany puts on the indicator (which in her mind gives her the right of way no matter who might be alongside)?

American drivers are generally untrained morons ignorant of law and courtesy. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-15 05:20 PM by Sarge101st.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster