AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
1927 Ford Model TT "Henrietta"
1931 Ford Model A    & more
I know!!! It's a gearbox for the mixing paddles in a stills' mash barrel. Saw one of them a few years ago, but the dynamite didn't do it any favor! Maybe the same one?

Hawk

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Hawk

MOWOG is Morris Wolseley Garage.

Now, in fun, it looks to be the power takeoff from his Sprite, used for the famous sawmill attachment.

smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 03:46 PM by Sarge101st.

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, MD, USA   USA
There you go reading again, Sarge...

Interesting thought...here's the sawmill attachment. Got rid of it years ago as it left big dead spots in the lawn and I rarely have to cut board-fencing anymore.

Seriously, this is actually a sawmill a good friend of mine donated to the county farm museum after his father passed. It had been on their farm for more years than I can remember. They still run it every year at the meet in September...surprised they can find guys that know how to run it.

Note the belt...that runs back a hundred feet or so to a tractor PTO...yikes!

It'll be warm and sunny in no time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-12 04:15 PM by healey36.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jimbvd Platinum Member Jim Bravard
Hopkinsville, Ky., USA   USA
Just saw this latest set of posts, as I was up visiting my brother for a while. When I saw the picture Paul, I thought it was the drive gear set for a PTO shaft driven tractor post hole digger. jim

No fine Kentucky Cuisine for me, Johnny. Just some Jim grub, as Jan went a day early up to Louisville for the baby shower, due to the snow and ice forecast. Doesn't look like I'm going to make the trip in the morning. The earlier predictions of the snow stopping at 5 p.m. this afternoon have turned to 8 to 9 p.m. tonight.

Attachments:
IMG_20180112_160807733_HDR.jpg    51.1 KB
IMG_20180112_160807733_HDR.jpg

Paul, do you know by chance if that was a Foley Belsaw? I have one of those still operational and yes, driven by my tractor PTO shaft on a belt. I might be a little bit old-fashioned. smiling smiley jim

In reply to # 3660653 by healey36 There you go reading again, Sarge...

Interesting thought...here's the sawmill attachment. Got rid of it years ago as it left big dead spots in the lawn and I rarely have to cut board-fencing anymore.

Seriously, this is actually a sawmill a good friend of mine donated to the county farm museum after his father passed. It had been on their farm for more years than I can remember. They still run it every year at the meet in September...surprised they can find guys that know how to run it.

Note the belt...that runs back a hundred feet or so to a tractor PTO...yikes!

It'll be warm and sunny in no time.

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Not sure of the manufacturer, Jim, but I know it’s probably close to ninety years old. Goes back three generations in the family. I would think 1920-1930 vintage. A lot of logs have gone through that thing.

Paul

The records are somewhat unclear, Paul, but Belsaw dated back to around 1929 or 30, as I recall when I purchased mine. That was about 1984, I think. Foley company acquired belsaw in either 1977 or 1983, depending on what source you want to believe. They discontinued production of the mill somewhere in the 1990s. The one you pictured, if a belsaw mill, must have been one of the first ones produced by them. I know of about four of them in our area other than mine which are still occasionally used. jim

johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
1960 Morris Minor Traveller "Norbert Style (Nobby The Moggy"
1964 MG Midget MkI "Flying Midge"
1964 MG Midget MkI
Most interesting guys.

Sorry Jim, I'll rephrase that.....

Most interesting y'all

Hope you make it to Louisville, but if not that's a mighty fine kitchen table to work on your engine Jim smiling smiley

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
I’ll see if I can find out, Jim. I haven’t seen Bill in a number of years...his dad donated the mill to the museum. We had a dozen or so mills still running in the county up until ten or so years ago...I can think of only two now.

Toader73 Avatar
Toader73 Tim Cox
McKinney, TX, USA   USA
1971 MG Midget "Murder MG"
Finally pulled my dash to get rid of this horrendous mod by the PO. picked up a used dashboard on eBay that was in excellent condition for $100.

Attachments:
DDDC4615-FC5B-4044-B0FD-CFF039A712F5.jpeg    45.2 KB
DDDC4615-FC5B-4044-B0FD-CFF039A712F5.jpeg

3C74BB0A-A1E6-461F-AB55-F87170429DC4.jpeg    32.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Hope it goes well Tim,

Go price on the replacement dash.
Looking forward to seeing it on the road and welcome aboard.

All the best Johnny

Congratulations once again, Johnny! Your Spurs poured it on this time.

Brian, I know you keep up with the clubs and have a favorite, but sink me if I can remember which one is yours. Can you help an old silver hair out?
jim

johnnyw637 Avatar
1964 MG Midget MkI
Jim I can help you out there.

Brian supports my antithesis, when I first saw him wearing an Arse nil shirt in his workshop I thought he was taking the micky ( Aren’t you precious, I had a mind to think).
However, I was barking up the wrong tree.

Please note if there are any typos it's due to struggling with this keyboard on certain words

Sorry.

Jim you obviously didn't make it through the snow (your poor son in law all on his lonesome).

All the best Johnnysmileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 01:42 PM by johnnyw637.

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Several things;

Welcome Tim! We hope you enjoy and hang around with this little klatch of friends from around the world, expats, repats, and no pats at all. I do have to ask, what in the name of all thats holy was that thing the PO put in, a satnav screen?

Jim, Johnny is absolutely correct. I have been an Arsenal supporter long enough to have outgrown (outfatted) the shirt. Grin! The Gunners and the Spurs have a long history of rivalry, perhaps one of the oldest of any sport, and when they face each other the event is known as the North London Derby, a series that goes back before the Great War. It is hotly contested both on the field and in the pub.

In reply to # 3661167 by johnnyw637 Jim I can help you out there.

Brian supports my antithesis, when I first saw him wearing an Arse nil shirt in his workshop I thought he was taking the micky ( Aren’t you precious, I had a mind to think).

Johnny me son, you do realise that arse nil is French for "not an ass". Grin!

Might be "le Francais fraqteured", though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-13 02:04 PM by Sarge101st.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 MG MGB GT

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links