johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
Onwards and upwards guys.
Isn't the road/highway a lovely place smiling smiley

And a magnificent standard Brian.

Cheers

Johnny

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
1998 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas "Bad Kitty" ~ For Sale ! ~
In reply to # 3571174 by johnnyw637

Indeed!

smoking smiley

Andrzej123 Avatar
Andrzej123 Gold Member Andrew Hejnar
Brockville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1979 MG Midget MkIII "Chocolate Mousse"
Isn't it? I'm so happy that the Chocolate Mousse is back in business. Will have few pics tomorrow

In reply to # 3571199 by Sarge101st
In reply to # 3571174 by johnnyw637

Indeed!

smoking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, Maryland, USA   USA
Hey John - It might be my imagination but in a couple of those pics it looks like you're hauling concrete blocks in the boot, i.e. settling by the stern. Perhaps a damper amiss up front or back?

Otherwise she looks brilliant...don't get her all nicked up before the first concours event.

Paul

johnnyw637 Avatar
Hi Paul would like to bs that the mk1's always looked low at the back. However, truth is that although sound, the replaced in 1981 quarter elliptic spring are coming to the end of their life. My winter plans are to go through the suspension in the winter, when there are no concourse shows on and the trailer is tucked up for the winter smiling smiley

A few glitches sorted today, one more to do after my tea break

Attachments:
1502543758012-1438253320.jpg    37.6 KB
1502543758012-1438253320.jpg

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
With the addition of a couple of shims you can adjust those springs to the proper height. thumbs up

In reply to # 3571465 by johnnyw637 Hi Paul would like to bs that the mk1's always looked low at the back. However, truth is that although sound, the replaced in 1981 quarter elliptic spring are coming to the end of their life. My winter plans are to go through the suspension in the winter, when there are no concourse shows on and the trailer is tucked up for the winter smiling smiley

A few glitches sorted today, one more to do after my tea break

johnnyw637 Avatar
Useful to know Rick,

However, as a representative of the British workman, I need a teabreak first.
Well as the sun is shining an ice-cream break in leue.

All the best Johnny

Attachments:
DSC_3643.JPG    59.5 KB
DSC_3643.JPG

johnnyw637 Avatar
Bugger the glitches,
I don't care
I'm back on the road!!!!!!

Attachments:
DSC_3652.JPG    26.3 KB
DSC_3652.JPG

DSC_3646.JPG    44.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC_3647.JPG    51.4 KB
DSC_3650.JPG    54.2 KB
DSC_3651.JPG    56.6 KB
DSC_3649.JPG    49.4 KB
DSC_3657.JPG    44.7 KB
healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, Maryland, USA   USA
John, when they went from quarter-elliptics to semi-elliptics that was a huge step forward winking smiley I'm blessed the '67 has semi-elliptics, easily replaced (which I've done). Those coil springs up front...not so much. Jack Merryman replaced those for me...too many horror stories out there to attempt it myself.

The pics are lovely...glad to see you're back on the road.

My brother and I hit the penny-farthing races in Frederick today (as spectators):

Not trying that anytime soon...crazy people.

Paul

Andrzej123 Avatar
Andrzej123 Gold Member Andrew Hejnar
Brockville, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1979 MG Midget MkIII "Chocolate Mousse"
Another day another problem, this time hose from the heater valve to the carburetor got loose. The previous owner installed oversized hose and just clamped the hell out of it. Worked itself out and most the coolant leaked out. Caught it on time and fortunately a local hardware store about 30 miles from home had 50/50 mix and nice screwdriver, so i was able insert the hose back in and tighten the clamp. Added coolant and this was it. Dove all day no problems.

I bought a nice tools set to carry with me at all times. Little bugger smileys with beer

My 20 years old is loving it. So both kids are infected, how nice, haha

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-12 07:11 PM by Andrzej123.

Attachments:
Bad hose.jpg    53.9 KB
Bad hose.jpg

Sarge101st Avatar
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
...and I had a trade show to do today, representing the model building magazine I edit (a nice piece of extra change), so not a huge amount of fun to report there.

When I got back home, had a nice kip, then took Bad Kitty out (driving it every day to see what else shakes out), then Grrr. Very different worlds...

Tomorrow is supposed to be lovely here. I wonder what trouble I can get into?

Way Hey!

johnnyw637 Avatar
Tidy engine Andrew,

I have a forehead that matches your rocker cover.

Went out for a twenty or so mile drive to a car show on the coast today with my mates Eric and Chris. Bit of rain on the way so got to test the wipers. However, as day wore on the sun got brighter. Took a walk into the seaside town of Cromer for some first rate fish and chips at Mary Janes. Went back to show saw some wonderful vehicles including the odd nice survivor. Spoke to the the driver of one such, an old 70s Ford and it turned out he was the ex secretary of an all comers classic car club that meets in the next village to mine once a month, so worth a a look especially as the members cars that were their ranged from from lived in moggy minor to very tidy rolls.

Since the the car drove okay to Cromer, I thought I would do a few more miles and show the the car to my old mum. She has been itching to see what the old heap I I bought in in 1981 and my father was keen to to put a match to was looking like now. As Chris is a connoisseur of fine dining, he suggested that we took the coastal road and picked up a local delicacy a mash weed called samphire (samffer), delicious boiled and served served with butter and vinegar.
Now Norfolk has has quite a long coastline so the journey took a while and necessitated a fuel stop.

Car behaved OK and save for a few issues such as pinking, which we improved upon, until we had no more retard available in the vacuum, an annoying rattle (possibly an an exhaust clamp and the battery terminals working loose she did alright. My 40 mile test run became closer to to 140 miles.

Now must go and tuck the old old flying midget safely up in it's bedroom.

If my camera worked film to follow.

All the best Johnny smiling smiley

Attachments:
DSC_3658.JPG    43.3 KB
DSC_3658.JPG

DSC_3659.JPG    25.9 KB
DSC_3673.JPG    32.3 KB
DSC_3712.JPG    50.1 KB
DSC_3727.JPG    46.3 KB
DSC_3717.JPG    35.8 KB
DSC_3714.JPG    38.9 KB
DSC_3749.JPG    43.2 KB
Sarge101st Avatar
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Brilliant, Johnny!

Its been a long road, and some days were perhaps pretty frustrating.

The result, though, looks like it needs not apologise to any car in your photos, and it sounds like it was a Grand Day Out!

So, well worth it, then?

PS: ..,and the footy season got underway this weekend as well! Ain't life grand?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-13 03:39 PM by Sarge101st.

johnnyw637 Avatar
Too right Brian,

Was going to have a day off from the car today, but come 9:30am I could resist no longer.

Think I've identified that the remaining oil leak is coming from the rear inspection hatch. The one that is a bugger to get to.
The annoying rattle I believe is either the newly routed fuel pipe rattling against the prop shaft tunnel or the exhaust bracket needing a bit of tweaking (it's not loose just, that the earlier adaptation during the rebuild has left it too close to the underside).

Spent a long time crawling under the dashboard removing and testing wires and connections to the tachometer. Found that they were all as they should be, so had to conclude that the rev counter was the problem. Fortunately I had a spare RVC tachometer. Due to someone putting new leathercloth on the dashboard the old tach was a bugger to get out. However, the replacement went in more easily and once connected I was back in business. So one problem solved and sorted.
Identified dashboard end of fuel gauge wiring as should be. So need to do some more miles to drain the fuel, then remove tank and re-earth the sender unit which I believe will be the problem.

Aren't old cars wonderful

All the best Johnny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-15 03:55 AM by johnnyw637.

Attachments:
IMG-20170814-WA0006.jpeg    30.9 KB
IMG-20170814-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20170814-WA0004.jpeg    33.3 KB
DSC_3729.JPG    51.1 KB
DSC_3707.JPG    46.3 KB
DSC_3690.JPG    46.6 KB
DSC_3687.JPG    52.7 KB
DSC_3723.JPG    46.9 KB
DSC_3676.JPG    49.7 KB
Sarge101st Avatar
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Old cars are wonderful!

Some of those old bikes in your photos put a smile on my face, too.

Ran the Circuit in Grrr today, then filled the tank with petrol and swopped places with Piddles.

Since the Jag occupies dam near half the workshop, the two little guys are parked up in a line on the other side. Now the system is to run one until the tank needs filled, fill it, and swop them back to front and run the other one until it needs filled.

A tough life; spoilt for choice like that. Grin!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster