AutoShrine Sponsor

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny me son

End of the week approaches. Got a progress report?

Cheers, mate!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
Yes mate,
I am fed up with trim, give me a spanner and physical, mechanical stuff smiling smiley

johnnyw637 Avatar
Ready to fit tomorrow

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC_3205.JPG    28 KB
DSC_3205.JPG

Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, Virginia, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
Today we explored the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley. We visited the small town of Strasburg, and a very quaint vineyard called Mountain View with a great view of the surroulding mountains

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

Attachments:
010.JPG    52.1 KB
010.JPG

017.JPG    41.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
023.JPG    65.2 KB
021.JPG    82.6 KB
Colonel musturd 79 Avatar
Colonel musturd 79 Michael McKinney
Winchester, Virginia, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500 "Colonel Mustard"
1987 Pontiac Fiero "SILVER BULLET"
On the way home we had lunch in Strasberg at a quaint garden cafe, and found an old Nash dealer dating from the 1930's

Amore della Strada
For the love of the road

Attachments:
029.JPG    72.5 KB
029.JPG

026.JPG    57.5 KB
027.JPG    60.4 KB
028.JPG    90.6 KB
johnnyw637 Avatar
Wonderful shots Michael

smileys with beer Johnny

tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
1927 Ford Model TT "Henrietta"
1931 Ford Model A    & more
Looking absolutely gorgeous Johnny! I feel your pain however. Too many nit-picking details over an extended period just drives me bonkers! My attention span is certainly not what it was 50 years ago!

I can certainly help you in the wrench department but as far as a physic is concerned you're on your own old boy!

Today was a decent driving day, what with the temps finally below 96 and the wetness factor below 80%. Took the B out for an evening run around the local area. What an unadulterated pleasure! I just love being able to cruise along at 70mph without the engine screaming it heart out. Sarge is absolutely correct vs. the best usage for the two cars.

Just hang in there Johnny. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting very bright.

Hawk

Sarge101st Avatar
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Michael

Lovely trip, that. I very much enjoyed the garage photos.

Johnny

The dash looks brilliant, so keep cracking on!

Meanwhile, all is pretty quiet in my world, other than a rearrange of the modern cars last week. Since Herself is now back to full-time employ, things have been somewhat more inconvenient with only one car of all of them in her skillset to drive, and that a PT with 115 kilomiles on it.

Meanwhile, although I think it is one of the more brilliant of the modern cars, I still believe my Mini to be hopelessly be-numbed by all the BMW tech. The epiphany really boils down to the opinion formed by experience that I can't expect a modern car to be anything more than a utility, and to try to get one that has play value destroys the utility whilst never quite being satisfactory for play-value because of the techno-numbness you must accept as modern cars are built to the lowest common denominator of driver skillset. So an experiment honestly conducted brings me to the conclusion that my purposes require a vintage motor for the proper feel and play-value and a modern utility numbmobile to carry a large quantity of stuff over great distance with great reliability, and no longer the twain shall meet (not in my price range anyway- Grin!)

So, epiphany married with a requirement for a changing stuation here at Dungfield Manor, and the Lady and I sat down and talked through an appropriate rationalisation of the fleet. I took her Cruiser for my utility, and gave her the Mini as a trade for what she wanted as her new utility. Then came the tough part of the conversation, because she wanted a car I have a general aversion to (my family has some bad history with the nation of origin) on principle, a Subaru Outback estate.

She is paying for it so, if she wants it, she can have it for they are an excellent utility vehicle. I admit gritting my teeth when I see it but, by acquiescing on that point, I now have her blessings and approval to actively pursue another survivor to fill the remaining slot in the workshop.

I wonder what I shall find?

tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
How about a 1930 Model A doodlebug? Put a rotary deck under it and mow the south 40 in comfort!

Hey! When are we going to take a nice long trip over towards West-by-gosh Virginny and test out the curves? Name your weapon!

An impatient Hawk

Sarge101st Avatar
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Hawk, mate

You'd have to get awful deep into WVA before you'd find anything as good as what we have here. C'mon up, O Impatient One and bring Paul with you! And your neighbour. And Paul's brother.

A '30 A? I had one once. I like A's but not so sure I'd want to do it again. Perhaps its because my tastes are for cars that are tailored for the drive rather than just old cars, much as I love them. It's a nuance but why I do this. Given the choice between my old '40 Chev and an LBC with what surrounds me here, its the Midget or B hands down.

Does that make sense?

johnnyw637 Avatar
As I am hankering after spanners and my numbmoble is having over heating issues in 6th gear when going over 70 ( speed used, purely for safe overtaking you understand). I had the bright Idea of saving money and fixing it myself. I've been working on one or other car now since 9am, it's now 10 pm and I am feeling I've had enough of static cars for one day.

Anyway just having a coffee then back to garage to tidy up and call it a day.

This is what the batmoble is looking like at present.

All the best Johnny (pre tidy up)

Attachments:
1500326006525147186440.jpg    36.2 KB
1500326006525147186440.jpg

1500326050230-1850587253.jpg    35.2 KB
1500326159275-1348743540.jpg    36.9 KB
Sarge101st Avatar
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny, that is coming along very nicely!

On your numbmobile, it sounds like you might suffer from something very common, the two-speed fan or the twin-fan. If one of the speeds has departed this earth, you will get overheat only at the highest loads. Could be well offbase since there isn't enough info, but if highest load overheat is the condition and the coolant is circulating as it should, check your fan(s) for staged operation. If they are staged in some fashion, check to ensure they actually are coming on properly. Its very common.

johnnyw637 Avatar
Thanks Brian,
First fan comes in at 95c second at 102. I changed the fan switch. As car remains perfect in traffic and better at speed when revs are higher, I thought it might be sludge causing the pump impeller problems. However, having flushed it, it now only seems marginally better. I'd assumed that the fans wouldn't be needed on a good run, but I assume from what you have suggested that they are.
So all your suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers Johnny

tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
Man oh man, isn't that just fricking gorgeous! A beautiful red set off with Royal Purple accents! Is the purple your choice for the speed strips? If so I heartily concur! You have really turned the Revlon Special into a work of art! Congratulations!

I am trying to get my neighbor to take a trip up to Yankee land but he, for some reason, does not trust his very low mileage steed for anything beyond walking distance home.

Oh, Sarge, the Prince of Darkness hit me Friday. Drove up to Fairfax to deliver a package to a garage. Went inside and BSed for a while and then attempted to leave. Oh yea? Would crank but not fire. That funny clicking noise from the trunk was absent. A mechanic insisted the battery was dead. I insisted the fuel pump was bad. Hitting it with a hammer, no go. Went around the corner to Advance and bought an electric inline pump and haywired it in. Good to go!

On the road again Hawk

johnnyw637 Avatar
Magic words Hawk,

On the road again. Probably another fortnight for mine as have to coach paint the purple and pink pin stripes down the side and along the bonnet smiling smiley

Johnny

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster