Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, Maryland, USA   USA
Lol, Hawk, the D-7 was unknown to me...I really need to get down to your place sometime and see the collection.

Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Brian S
Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
1998 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas "Bad Kitty"
Paul,

That is cool. I have to say I (That's right, Mr. "Survivors are what I love" ) really like Frankenspridgets and other customs when they are done well. If a car is so far gone rebuilding is the only reasonable course of action, why not a bit of art, then.

That is also why I love a good streetrod, so long as a viable historical piece didn't get destroyed to make it. Some are the most gorgeous pieces of craftsmanship.

Art is important to me, too.

Bet that comes as a bit of a surprise...

Grin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 12:22 PM by Sarge101st.

SapitoPR Avatar
SapitoPR Silver Member Jorge Olazagasti
San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA   USA
Brian, Hawk, you are both correct on your statements . A battery float charger is intended for those with too many cars or equipment that is not used regularly (trailer queens, show cars, impractical cars, tractors generators, etc ). Most work pretty good but must disagree in one point, they do evaporate electrolyte and the batterie(s) should be checked at least once a month ( if not a sealed one) or will go dry. Completely agree with Brian, a battery is cheaper than a fire caused by a long term unchecked maintainer. In my case as the MAD character used to say " who me worry ??" I am lucky enough to only have one Sprite and try to use it at least once a week if not more, no problem with battery holding charge between uses. By the way the last time i had to replace it i found out that the 450 amp tractor battery works perfectly on my Bugeye ad costs less than $40.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-19 12:51 PM by SapitoPR.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
johnnyw637 Avatar
johnnyw637 Silver Member John Warner
Norwich, Norfolk, UK   GBR
Hi guys I feel like I have been away for too long. I've been so busy the last few days that I have not had the chance to catch up with the perfect road until tonight.

Anyway great to read and hear what's been happening. Fantastic that Grrr is fully functioning and enjoying the road. Though I was sorry to hear that the weather for some of the Flying Midget regulars, must have been so bad that talk has hit that winter classic, 'the flat battery '.
Pleased though that Brian and Paul, have been able to hit the open roads. I am guessing that either their localised weather patterns have allowed this or that their Spartan natures prevent them noticing inclement conditions.

Frankensprite, now there is a good idea, well it would be if only I wasn't becoming stick of viewing the outside world from the back of a garage.
However, the Revlon Special is coming along with it's near concourse engine bay and Lipstick Pig exterior. Today the engine and gearbox went back in. Complete with new, clutch, gearbox oil seal and BMC spec paint job on the engine and fittings (well BMC Friday lunchtime spec anyway). Still lots to do, a bit of welding, undersealing, remembering where all the wires and cables go. Putting radiator back in and oil and water. Bit of repainting also where the engine and gearbox argued with the gleaming bodywork.

All the best and enjoy the road whilst I dream of it smiling smiley

Johnny

Attachments:
DSC_2090.JPG    32.3 KB
DSC_2090.JPG

DSC_2088.JPG    34.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
DSC_2089.JPG    26.4 KB
DSC_2147.JPG    36.5 KB
DSC_2099.JPG    41 KB
DSC_2132.JPG    23.9 KB
DSC_2113.JPG    33.5 KB
DSC_2153.JPG    46.8 KB
ODC427R tim carter
Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa   ZAF
1983 MG MGF "Sredni Vastar VI"
Looking good, Johnny, looking good. tim

johnnyw637 Avatar
Thanks Tim,

We're getting there, though the radiator is proving to be an awkward sod to get aligned with it's mount and side panels. Last job of the day and it's going to wait for another day as the bolt holes just aren't playing ball.

Talking balls, Brian mate sorry your squad were cheated of their champion's league spot, but still hoping they gain the FA cup.

All the best Johnny

healey36 Avatar
healey36 Paul Raith
Westminster, Maryland, USA   USA
Nice weld John:

The work looks great, man, but I fear your high-end effort have you dancing on the volcano of the restore-zone. If you order a trailer, please don't tell us, lol...

Paul

johnnyw637 Avatar
As if Paul winking smiley

Attachments:
DSC_2171.JPG    66.5 KB
DSC_2171.JPG

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Brian S
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny me son.

Thanks for the kind words regarding the footy season's end and the lacklustre performance pretty much throughout from my mob. We'll see how the Cup comes; I really hope it gors our way, for Chelsea will be insufferable if it goes theirs. More importantly, I fear the Frenchman will be forced to depart rather than a few of the underperforming egos during a good shakeup and rebuild. The latter would be foolish, but is probable. That course will lead to those egos becoming even larger, the bloat continuing the drag-down, and the whole not being shaken up and sharpened up for several seasons yet to come. That means of course it will be up to your mob the catch the Rich Boys up and give them a good thrashing. Grin!

Mind your earths with all that new paint in the engine bay!

Next few days here are supposed to be wet and dreary, so perhaps more spanner days before wheel days again...

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Brian S
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Johnny, and all here from the UK

From our side of the puddle, our kindest thoughts to all of you and pray the Manchester bombing hasn't affected your families personally.

We're with you.

tonyhawker Mahlon Hawker
Lorton, VA, USA   USA
1922 Ford Model T
1925 Ford Model T
1927 Ford Model TT "Henrietta"
1931 Ford Model A    & more
I second Brian's comments. Seems to me it's about time for a good Spring Cleaning in the Mother Country.

Alls been too quiet here on the Western Front. Got a new wheel for Pee Wee and FINALLY found an old geezer who knew what a tire tube was and 15 minutes later all is well. Its actually holding air....so far!

The B got a conniption fit last week so I ordered a new red rotor and cap, even tho the old ones looked brand new. Went down to my favorite parts store, no, not Larry Curly and Mo's joint and got a new coil. The old one was, guess, LUCAS! The new one is a Standard, made you know where. Works perfectly. As soon as the mini monsoons are drained I'll get the B out of the 1/2 car garage and get the rear end properly lowered down to where it belongs.

Took the A out Friday to a National Park Service shindig at Fort Hunt Park. Captured a lot of attention from those who did not know what it was! Poor Souls! I was amazed at the history of the park. I knew it and Fort Washington across the wide Potomac had gun emplacements during WW2 but never knew there were hundreds of German scientists who came over to our side and were processed there. I'm sure Werner von Braun was among them.

A contented Hawk

johnnyw637 Avatar
In reply to # 3517224 by Sarge101st Johnny, and all here from the UK

From our side of the puddle, our kindest thoughts to all of you and pray the Manchester bombing hasn't affected your families personally.

We're with you.

Thanks for your kind words Brian,

In my case I do have distant family, a couple of my father's cousins and their families, in Manchester, not heard anything on the grapevine so hopefully all OK. But of course that doesn't make it any easier for those who are not so lucky. Most tragical is the fact that the audience was mainly kids.

I must say that the people of Manchester have been magnificent, since the bombing. Lots of reports of taxi firms providing free transport to those affected last night and people near the stadium offering rooms and support in the aftermath.
Thousands from every religion, community and creed have gathered in Manchester today to show respect for the victims and appreciation of the fantastic work of the emergency services.

Thanks and all the best John

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Brian S
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Alright Lads, up an' at 'em!

There's work to be done!

Attachments:
IMG_3480.JPG    41.1 KB
IMG_3480.JPG

ODC427R tim carter
Boksburg, Gauteng, South Africa   ZAF
1983 MG MGF "Sredni Vastar VI"
That look like a serious breakfast! Jst what you need before you take on an MG. My Tf has decided it doesn't want to wind up it's driver side widow. Or the driver side mirror either. So it's obviously a fuse, but the one marked has been changed, without result. I;ll change the blighter again just to be sure, the there are about 40 more to test. Enough to try the paticience of a saint, which I am not. Or wasn't, last time I checked.......

tim

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Brian S
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
Hi, Tim;
Might want to check the earth from door to the carbody real quick. I know nothing of MGF, but one would guess there is some manner given all the electrics you have that we don't with our old crocks- Grin! Dam suspicious its all the electrics in the door gone wrong.

Johnny, mate!
You alright?

Hawk;
von Braun might not have been through there, since he never "came over to our side". He stuck with the Axis until it was over, was a spoil of war afterwards, and none too happy about it for quite a while.

All;
Today was a tweak of the mixture after fixing Piddles' vacuum boost line the other day. Now that the line has been replaced, what with all the cracks and holes, we leaned out the Weber a half-turn, lit it off and ran until hot. The idle was weak, so eased it back out a little until the idle returned to normal. Run it and everything is back to right. Now Piddles is all grunt again. Simples...

Had Grrr out last night, and how nice it is to not hear running gear noises!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-05-24 02:14 PM by Sarge101st.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster