heat shield ZS carb 76 midget

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dirtygmc Sean Gallagher
Moodus, CT, USA   USA
So call this overkill since I haven't driven the car enough to know if it has a vapor lock problem, but here's the aluminum heat shield I made at our shop. The first version was too tall and long, hitting the fender and the exhaust manifold. Today I redrew the blank, added some holes to help dissipate heat before the mounting area, and it fits much better. I'm also going to put on some reflective heat barrier on the underside so hopefully it works well.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpg    30.7 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    38.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpg    26.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
idahoastan Avatar
idahoastan Greg Lewis
Hayden, Idaho, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "DAYZ"
Sean...niiice....do you have some general diimensions....love the reverse concept of bolting on from the airfilter side....elegant thinking, that changes things for me....

greg

1976 MG Midget

idahoastan Avatar
idahoastan Greg Lewis
Hayden, Idaho, USA   USA
Perfect Anthony...I will make your list happen and add the homemade heat shield.....I'm getting excited to be able to drive this thing with confidence.

cheers

Greg

1976 MG Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dirtygmc Sean Gallagher
Moodus, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3044875 by idahoastan Sean...niiice....do you have some general diimensions....love the reverse concept of bolting on from the airfilter side....elegant thinking, that changes things for me....

greg

Greg, I think it's something around 4x4x4". I can get you more accurate dimensions later. The width actually may be more like 5.5". It was a lot smaller than I originally thought.

idahoastan Avatar
idahoastan Greg Lewis
Hayden, Idaho, USA   USA
That would vbe great Sean....thanks

Greg

1976 MG Midget

Monsantiqu Avatar
Monsantiqu Silver Member Anthony S
Sunshine City, Florida, USA   USA
Sean has it right on the money with his design! That is the closest thing I have seen to the original. The addition of the appropriate insulating material would make it perfect. Sean, you should make and sell these on EBay!

dirtygmc Sean Gallagher
Moodus, CT, USA   USA
In reply to # 3045023 by idahoastan That would vbe great Sean....thanks

Greg

Just measured the piece and it's 5.5" wide, 5" tall, and 4.5" deep.

In reply to # 3045032 by Monsantiqu Sean has it right on the money with his design! That is the closest thing I have seen to the original. The addition of the appropriate insulating material would make it perfect. Sean, you should make and sell these on EBay!

If anyone wants one, message me and we can talk about a price. I have the CNC file in the machine still so it wouldn't be much work to run some off for you guys. I may actually set up the CNC press brake for more accurate bends, better than my 1-off handpress close enough approach, haha.

The only thing you'd need would be another gasket from Moss/VB. Or make your own using this as a template.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-24 12:17 PM by dirtygmc.

1976mgbdude kevin pk
., St Petersburg, Florida, USA   USA
1976 MG MGB
I have a heat shield for sale if you want to take a look at it under Buy Sell Trade here in the forum.

let me know.
Kevin

dirtygmc Sean Gallagher
Moodus, CT, USA   USA
Sorry for reviving this thread again, but wanted to share my addition. I was thinking about the conductive heat up to the airfilter housing and carb and decided to put on some Cool-It Thermotec heat barrier in an effort to reflect the radiant heat a little better. Not sure if it's a necessity but seems like it can't hurt. Haha.

Thanks to those who messaged me, and sorry for the late responses. It was a fun filled weekend of a wedding, IMSA races at Lime Rock, and the World of Outlaw races at Lebanon Valley.

Attachments:
image.jpg    34.6 KB
image.jpg

Monsantiqu Avatar
Monsantiqu Silver Member Anthony S
Sunshine City, Florida, USA   USA
Sean, I will buy one of these from you if you will make me one! Let me know the price.
Thanks,
Tony
I can then add it to my vast inventory of spare "just in case" parts!

bbuckl Avatar
bbuckl Brian B
New Fairfield, Connecticut, USA   USA
Hey

Sean,

Are you still selling these? I need one pretty badly...

Thanks,

Brian
78 Midget 1500

Brian
78 Midget 1500
New Fairfield, CT

nitronavyg Gary R Wood Sr
Morritown, TN, USA   USA
Check with, Timmathews@gmail.com.
He buys parts cars an sells GOOD parts, he is in atlanta. Drive fast, Safety first!! Poppa "G"

bbuckl Avatar
bbuckl Brian B
New Fairfield, Connecticut, USA   USA
Gary,

I have my original heat shield, but it won't fit since I replaced the exhaust with headers...I was hoping I could get one of these custom made shields so I wouldn't have to fab my own.

Brian

Brian
78 Midget 1500
New Fairfield, CT

dirtygmc Sean Gallagher
Moodus, CT, USA   USA
Sent you a PM, Brian.

In reply to # 3218378 by bbuckl Hey

Sean,

Are you still selling these? I need one pretty badly...

Thanks,

Brian
78 Midget 1500

whannifan81 Will H
Alexandria, Virginia, USA   USA
1977 MG Midget 1500 "Pops"
I've been reading through a ton of posts and am in need of a heat shield for my 77 midget with the ZS carb set up. I live in DC and do not have a metal shop. The yield shield you made here with the dissipation air holes looks fantastic. Could I buy one from you?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 MG MGB MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links