AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

idahoastan Avatar
idahoastan Greg Lewis
Hayden, Idaho, USA   USA
1976 MG Midget MkIV "DAYZ"
So after looking all over, it appears the only way to replace the missing heatshield to prevent vapor lock, is to fabricate one!
Is this a true statement? I cant find an oem anywhere. Is there a third party unit out there being made?

thanks in advance

cheers

1976 MG Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dirtygmc Sean Gallagher
Moodus, CT, USA   USA
I'm in the same boat. I've found some on eBay but mount to the exhaust manifold I believe.i don't believe anyone makes a new one,94 at least from what I've seen. (I'm new to the MG life though)

At our metal shop today I drew up a piece on CAD to mount between the carb and airbox, but after building it and test fitting I was a bit off and need to shorten a couple dimensions. I'll post a picture of it when I get time to modify and rebuild it, hopefully by the end of the week. It'll be a simple shield out of 6061 .090" sheet.

idahoastan Avatar
idahoastan Greg Lewis
Hayden, Idaho, USA   USA
Thanks shawn that would be great. !!

idahoastan

1976 MG Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Crystal RX 350 Avatar
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Does this heat shield apply to 76 model only? mine is 1975 with ZS 150 CD and it doesn't have the heat shield.

Mike

75' MG Midget
78' MG Midget

idahoastan Avatar
idahoastan Greg Lewis
Hayden, Idaho, USA   USA
Mike...I'm no expert by far but if you have vapor lock issues I would guess you need one too.

Greg

1976 MG Midget

marksmidget Avatar
marksmidget mark tharp
Hammond, indiana, USA   USA
I have a 75 and a 76. Neither had a heat shield when I got them. Both were originally equipped with heat shields. I was fortunate that the gentleman who rebuilt my engine, Pat Naylor had one in his vast collection of old parts. He is a former BL certified mechanic, he told me that as they disintegrated and started to rattle and fall apart people just threw them away. After cleaning and painting mine with high temp engine paint I'm now discovering that it mounted to exhaust manifold so now I either have to figure out a way to mount it with the pacesetter header or fabricate something anew. I've seen some post here that they either manufactured one or they wrapped heat shield around header. I can tell you that it is not available from Moss or VB or any other supplier I've found. Good luck

idahoastan Avatar
idahoastan Greg Lewis
Hayden, Idaho, USA   USA
OK...so I have to make one. Aluminum or steel and what guage should I use?

thanks
Greg

1976 MG Midget

Monsantiqu Avatar
Monsantiqu Silver Member Anthony S
Sunshine City, Florida, USA   USA
Greg, I still have the original heat shield on my 75 Midget. I connects between the air cleaner and the carb just like a carburetor gasket. It folds under the carb. The edges on the corners are formed a bit like a cupcake liner (crinkled, sort of!). The material it is made from what appears to be some sort of metal/insulation combination. Anyway, look at the picture I sent and hopefully you can fabricate one. It would not be to difficult. Maybe sheet aluminum with some sort of adhesive insulation on the carburetor side would work perfectly!

Attachments:
image.jpg    59.4 KB
image.jpg

idahoastan Avatar
idahoastan Greg Lewis
Hayden, Idaho, USA   USA
Great pic Anthony! thanks a bunch.....If only I had the foundary i used when I was teaching shop I could cast a nice aluminum one and line it.....hmmmm we do have a community gizmo shop in town....

cheers
Greg

1976 MG Midget

marksmidget Avatar
marksmidget mark tharp
Hammond, indiana, USA   USA
The one Anthony has looks like what is in the moss catalog as unavailable. The one I was given and which others have posted is a LARGE probably 8" by 12" shield that attaches to the exhaust manifold. If you google search 1976 MG midget carburetor heat shield you will see both types displayed. Now I think I'll go with fabricating the style Anthony has since it attaches to carburetor. Does anybody know why there are two different styles ?

Brad76Midget Avatar
Brad76Midget Brad H
Newton, MA, USA   USA
I've hunted and found one that was in pieces, and I am now considering heat wrap on the exhaust manifold.

Maybe it's not the best route, but it's the much more accessible one.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
The big one that attaches to the exhaust manifold does a much better job of shielding the carb from the hot stuff, especially from the catalytic converter. The one that connects to the carb always confused me. You're trying to keep the carb cool - why would you bolt a hot heat shield to the carb? confused smiley

In reply to # 3044175 by marksmidget The one Anthony has looks like what is in the moss catalog as unavailable. The one I was given and which others have posted is a LARGE probably 8" by 12" shield that attaches to the exhaust manifold. If you google search 1976 MG midget carburetor heat shield you will see both types displayed. Now I think I'll go with fabricating the style Anthony has since it attaches to carburetor. Does anybody know why there are two different styles ?

mjamgb Avatar
mjamgb michael anderson
Carson City, NORTHERN NEVADA, USA   USA
Agreed. I am certain it helped some but not attaching it seems a much better plan. Earlier cars had an asbestos pad on the exhaust side to keep tin from getting hot in the first place.

rikhogan Avatar
rikhogan Rik Holeman
Madison, Alabama, USA   USA
8 or 9 years ago when totally restoring my 79 I bought a heat shield off eBay. I also purchase the down pipe with no catalytic converter from Moss.
Took all of it and my stock manifold and had it all ceramic coated. During engine rebuild I decided to go with a Weber carb and a ceramic coated header. All of it still laying in the garage in a box. Pics show with asbestos shield installed.

Attachments:
1500 Carb Heat Shield 001.jpg    31 KB
1500 Carb Heat Shield 001.jpg

1500 Carb Heat Shield 002.jpg    11.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1500 Carb Heat Shield 003.jpg    14.3 KB
1500 Carb Heat Shield 004.jpg    30.9 KB
Monsantiqu Avatar
Monsantiqu Silver Member Anthony S
Sunshine City, Florida, USA   USA
Greg, I have your exact set-up, just 1 year newer. I thought I had a vapor lock problem, but it turned out to be a combination of several small issues. The car now runs flawlessly with the very easy to work on Zenith-Stromberg. I live in south Florida and drive my car every day that is not forecast with rain. Often the temps are well into the 90's. I never have any issues involving heat or poor running. I can sit in traffic with confidence.
The following "adjustments" we're made:
-Tune-up
-Proper thermostat/coolant flush
-Removed the catalytic converter and replaced it with a straight pipe wrapped generously with titanium wrap
-Ensured my timing was correct
-Properly adjusted my fuel/air mixture
-The placement of the original heat shield (fortunately mine is still good!)
The above items all will reduce the underhood temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 10:36 PM by Monsantiqu.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster