MG Midget Forum

Welcome! Sign In Register
Please Sign In or Register to Search

gas pedal adjustment

Posted by hawkeye 
brad boner
malaga, washington, USA   usa

I have a 1979 midget. my leg is 1 in to long for cruising, and I would like to stretch my leg all the way out for long drives. I heard that the throttle linkage is adjustable , where is the adjustment made ?
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
refisk Avatar
Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   usa

There are no adjustments that allow repositioning the accelerator pedal. You might be able to modify the pedal itself to give you a little more leg room. Just make sure you still have full travel available.
66jalopy Avatar
Phillip Jolliffe
Lake City, FL, USA   usa

I drilled holes in the floor and move the driver seat back another inch.
. You can hide this ad & support this site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
James E Avatar
Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   usa

One inch! One inch!! Come you gotta be tougher than that, You drive a Midget. Hey, I know, that's why the Good Lord gave us knees. I'm 6'1"" and 200lbs, yep its a little cramped, but its still so much fun..
hoggie Avatar
Mike Hogan
Oklahoma City, USA   usa

Here is a way someone else dealt with that issue.

(Here is the floor pan mod on a Midget (about half way down the page)

Foot Well Modification
rcedward Avatar
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA   usa
1951 MG TD MkII "TDC6000"
1969 MG MGB "182608"
1969 MG MGC GT "8806"
1969 MG MGC GT "8651"
1970 MG MGB GT "Donor"   → more

In reply to # 2552485 by hawkeye I have a 1979 midget. my leg is 1 in to long for cruising, and I would like to stretch my leg all the way out for long drives. I heard that the throttle linkage is adjustable , where is the adjustment made ?

I'm a B guy on the wrong side of the forum, not a Midget guy so maybe I'm completely off the mark here. If so feel free to ignore what I'm about to say....

There must be a clamp or trunnion or something on the carb that connects the cable. On Bs I often see people adjust the accelerator cable with the throttle closed by loosening the clamp at the carb linkage, pulling the cable tight, then doing up the clamp. That sets the pedal at the top of its travel if you get my meaning. This sets the pedal very high. However, the correct way to set it is to have someone hold the pedal down, open the throttle all the way, then pull the cable tight and do up the clamp. The idea being that the throttle is fully open only when the pedal is against the stop/firewall/whatever. In other words, setting it at the bottom of its travel. I find on Bs that this lowers the pedal considerably vis-à-vis the "top" method and sets the pedal at the perfect level for heel-and-toeing. It also means that at full throttle, the cable and carb linkage isn't acting as the stop -- the stop is acting as the stop. Saves wear & tear on the cable, linkage and carb.... Make any sense at all?

--
Rob Edwards
Raleigh, NC
http://www.mgcarz.com

If you're in NC, check out the North Carolina MG Car Club!
http://ncmgcc.org
brad boner
malaga, washington, USA   usa

rob thanks for your suggestion. I will give that a try. I can always modify the pedal. at my age I would rather be comfortable than sucking on my knees . whats that taste like jimmy?

Reply to this topic or post your own questions!

Members Sign In if you've already registered, or

Register a New Account

Registration is free and takes less than a minute

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG