MG Midget Forum

Please Sign In or Register to Search

MG Midget Windshield Replacement

Posted by lenbaker 
Len Baker
Union, Kentucky, USA   usa
1975 MG Midget 1500 "Money Pit"

Well... It all started when I had a new convertible top installed. I believe the shop used the sun visor swivel mounts as a base to clamp to in order to stretch the new top into place. In the process they broke the mounts. I was replacing the mounts when, as Murphy's Law requires, I ran a screw into the back of the windshield glass and voila', I now have a cracked windshield.

My question is this... In order to replace the windshield is it necessary to remove the entire windshield frame from the car? Can it be replaced leaving the side (vertical) supports in place (or perhaps just loosened) and sliding the windshield out/in the top?

Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

-Len

James E Avatar
Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   usa

You will need to remove the windscreen and its frame. When you do keep up with the shims between the posts and the car. Note, the screws aren't phillips they are pozi-drive.

Len Baker

Thanks Jimmy.

I've read other posts that mention having to remove the dashboard as well. Is that also necessary?

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Ryan Miller
Kansas City, USA   usa

Don't feel too bad. My windshield suffered the same fate years ago. The windshield assembly comes off pretty easy. Two bolts at the base of the center tension rod, then open the door and you'll see two bolts behind each door. The whole frame lifts right out.

James E Avatar
Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   usa

Just what Ryan said, the dash stays in place.

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
Len Baker

Thanks guys!

My replacement windshield should arrive in the next few days. I'll take pictures and take notes to post as I go along. Wish me luck!

Len Baker

OK... So the old windshield is out and the new windshield is back in the windscreen assembly. Everything is in place except the windshield to body seal. When I took apart the frame I had to remove the seal and after examining it I decided it needed to be replaced. So my question is how in the heck do I install the new seal? Is there a trick to getting this done?

Thanks!

-Len

James E Avatar
Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   usa

I bet you are having a hard time keeping the lip out, huh? Get a piece of cotten rope and place it behind the lip, with some help holding down on the frame (windscreen) until it makes good contact. Then pull gently on the rope and it will pull the lip out for you. Hope this helps, its how I do it. Just remember, "cotten rope".

Jack Morris
Chattanooga, TN, USA   usa

I wondered if you were going to replace the windshield-to-body seal. When I did this, I had a HORRIBLE time compressing the seal enough to get the bolts back in the frame legs. Best of luck!

trevorwj Avatar
Trevor Jessie
Louisville KY, USA   usa

I think he is asking about just putting the seal into the groove in the frame.

Midget 50th - A Spridget Event
It was a Blast!
http://sprite-midgetclub.org/

oldag98 Avatar
Jeff and Brittany Brackenridge
Choctaw, Choctaw, Oklahoma, USA   usa
1975 MG Midget Conversion
1976 MG Midget 1500 "Yellow One"
1977 MG Midget 1500 "Dunkirk"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"

It is almost definately a 2 person project to get the windshield lined up, the seal in place and not folded under the windshield frame, and the nuts and bolts in place. 1 person constantly applying pressure to keep the body to frame seal in place and one person running around fidddling with the seal and the nuts and bolts. Once you do it once, you will be a pro. Though it is not totally necessary, I also used a liberal amount of RTV black in the corners and around overlapping areas just to make sure that I did not need to go thru this exercise a second time. I also used it inside the windshield frame and glass to seal channel.

James E Avatar
Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   usa

In reply to # 2492192 by trevorwj I think he is asking about just putting the seal into the groove in the frame.

If this is what you were talking about, dish soap is your friend!

Len Baker

Yep... That was what I was wondering about... And, yes, I did wind up using an ample amount of dish soap. In the photo the new seal is on the left and my old seal is on the right. I tried putting the old seal back in before the new one arrived and thought about just driving the car without a windshield... LOL! It's finally all back together now and ready to be put back on the car. I am going to try the cotton rope trick to pull the seal edge out as I go though since it looks like it can also be a pain. Fortunately I've had a buddy and my wife helping along the way which has made it easier.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Attachments:
photo 3_scaled.JPG    25.8 KB
photo 3_scaled.JPG

James E Avatar
Jimmy Campbell
Bedford, Va, USA   usa

Yeah, rubber doesn't like cold weather or the sun. Looks like it was time for a new seal.

Eric Miller
Lynnwood, WA, USA   usa

My thought has always been that I don't know the in's and outs of the windshield bus so swallowed my pride and has the whole thing done by a good local glass shop...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG