Please Sign In or Register to Search

1977 MG Midget

Posted by Brendon Lynch 
Save up to 15% with Moss Motors' Buy More, Save More Sale
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Last I knew she was started in 1987 and has sat since. In just two weeks time she is back up in and running (with little work - VERY little). There are still 101 little things that I need to get in order and could use all the tips and suggestions anyone may have.

Things that need some fixin':
1. Wipers don't work at all and are frozen in the "UP" position. They do feel like they are getting power, but the are VERY stiff to move (even with your hand) How do I even access the wiper motor?

2.Looking for a new soft top OR can you replace the plastic windows? The top is in poor to fair shape but the back window is glazed real bad with zero visibility. If I was to replace to top where can I find one? Any suggestions on web sites that offer auctions for this type of thing (I know E-Bay ... but no luck as of yet)

3.Turn signal unit (left side of steering column) where can I find a new one and what does it take to replace it?

If anyone has ANY suggestions or tips I would love to hear them. This is my first "recon" and I am having a blast with it ... just wish I knew more ... but I am learning as I go!

Thanks again!

Lynchy

It's my 1st LBC - 1977 Midget

Brendan,

Look into a Company named MOSS Motors LTD. They have an online catalog with almost any part you need.

Tom D.
'79 Midget

As I recall the wiper motor is on the left inner fender panel , remove it and casrefully take it apart & clean and grease everything , polish the commutator then take the cable off the car and clean it really , _really_ well
lube with lost of good black Moly grease and re-assemble - I did this to several LBC's (BMC products all) and the wipers now work a treat .

Almost everything on the car will work as new if you but remove it , clean lubricate & adjust , replace all rubber gaskets .

If the top has no holes in it , wash then treat with Meguire's Vinyl & Rubber cleaner/conditioner , product # 40 , that'll make the black part like new , then get some _soft_ cloths and use toothpaste to gently clean the cloudy rear window - Meguiar's also makes a two stage plastic cleaner / polish that os wonderfull on plastic windos and lenses too - try it , you'll be amazed .

Welcome to the world of LBC's .

-Nate

-Nate
Still fighting mental health & recalcitrant customers

. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info
. You can hide this ad & support the site by upgrading to a Gold Membership ~ click here for more info

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Check the Forum Help File (FAQ) or contact the webmaster.

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

MGExp Menu

What's New

Membership

Forums ->

MGB & GT

MG Midget

Buy, Sell & Trade

Vendor Market

MG Engine Swaps

Original MG