Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ice Avatar
ice Gold Member Larry Ice
Lawrenceville, GA, USA   USA
Ric, I wouldn't worry about protecting the tank as the rapid acceleration from a rear end collision would prob do you in anyways..........just kidding. I have been running these little cars for 50 years without rear bumpers and never had nor never heard of a problem with impacted fuel tanks catching fire. Having said that I don't doubt there have been some. If I worried about all the risks I take with driving these cars on the street I would prob not drive them!
Take a look at a Bugeye rear end and how much protection the bumperettes provide in a rear end collision.

Ice

Iceman

Atlanta GA

60 AH MK1
62 AH MKII
67 Midget
71 Midget

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
parisric Avatar
parisric ric paris
port charlotte, FL, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget "Ezmarelda"
A good point Ice and I won't lose much sleep worrying about it. It does come up a lot in conversations. Many people wouldn't even consider getting into the car for a ride because of the size. My first ride with my wife she must have said OMG 20 times in the first 5 miles. Sitting at lights and looking up at the tires. She has finally learn to relax but it is mostly a car I enjoy by myself. I have a rather loud exhaust and make a lot of noise so people no I am there, same strategy I used when I was on the motorcycle, loud and stay visible.

rick1975 richard desrochers
pembroke, USA   USA
Can you please tell me what you did with the turn Directionals? Car looks great. Thanks Rick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rick1975 richard desrochers
pembroke, USA   USA
Hi randy I am interested in a front grill. Would you sell me one ? Thanks rick

randykieling Avatar
randykieling Randy Kieling
Grants Pass, OR, USA   USA
1957 Renault Next "Pierre"
1959 Morris Minor 1000 "Branson"
1960 MG MGA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite    & more
In reply to # 2852553 by rick1975 Hi randy I am interested in a front grill. Would you sell me one ? Thanks rick

i have given away almost all my Midget parts. I think all i have left are parts hidden away to build my 62 Sprite.
i will look later tonight for a grill
Randy

CarverBoldman Carver Boldman
Kirbyville, MO, USA   USA
Once the Bumper is off, does the grill look like it does in all the pics online? or is that something you need to add? Also, are the holes able to be covered up with something like Bondo?

76lucas Avatar
76lucas Gold Member Josh L
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Parts Car"
This is what they look like with the bumper removed. In order to put a grill in it you have to cut the two horns off (the square pieces in the grill area) You'll also have to fill in the fender where the bumper brackets come out. The easiest way is to get fenders for a chrome car and use it That way you don't have any bondo work and you can use the fender mounted park lights. Just get fenders off the same year car. They changed at some point (not sure when). One difference I know of is the park light is higher on one then the other. Or you could try one of these methods. http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,3642658
In reply to # 3678970 by CarverBoldman Once the Bumper is off, does the grill look like it does in all the pics online? or is that something you need to add? Also, are the holes able to be covered up with something like Bondo?

If you never try to do it You will never be able to do it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 09:47 PM by 76lucas.

Attachments:
20170530_171849.jpg    29.1 KB
20170530_171849.jpg

oops, I actually meant the front bumper.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Carver, for what you're going to do with the car you'll want to leave the bumpers on! You do not want or need a chrome bumper car in a college parking lot. Yeah, it'll look better but not for long. Think stupid and drunk idiots trying to park next to you at night. The front bumper will also help keep the motor and transmission out of your lap should you get in a wreck with said stupid and drunk idiots or if you become a stupid and drunk idiot. I DD's my car for several years in the REAL WORLD and I'm really glad I kept my bumpers on. Shit happens and sheet metal bends easy; keep your bumpers on and it'll help keep the car and you straight.

There is very little sheet metal b/w you and the real world with these things, the bumpers are the ONLY real protection on these cars and the only thing that will transfer energy into the frame even semi effectively. I'd really hate to have anything hit me without them. These things are barely safer than a motorcycle and not by much at that.

You're gonna have dickheads try to pick the car up too and chrome bumpers will bend too easily. They'll grab it by the fenders too so a little fresh grease or dog shit packed along the bead periodically will go a long way. winking smiley

76lucas Avatar
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
That is the front. The grill and the bumper on a 1500 RB are all made together.
George makes some really good points also. The reasons he gave for leaving them are some of the ones given by BL to put them on. Fixing chrome bumpers on any car is costly. I work in a college town and it's a zoo. That's not just the students (most don't drive ) often it's the professors and sports fans you have to watch. In other words people that should know how to drive. To get an idea look at Moss for the cost of a grill and chrome bumpers because that's close to what you'll pay if they get wrecked. But people who change the RB's usually give them away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 07:18 AM by 76lucas.

Thanks for the insight guys!

Also, on a range from 1 to 10, how would you rate the safety of an MG? (wreck-wise)

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 3679447 by CarverBoldman Thanks for the insight guys!

Also, on a range from 1 to 10, how would you rate the safety of an MG? (wreck-wise)

LOL, -5. Like I said, BARELY, just BARELY above a motorcycle and all bets are off if it's a truck or SUV.

Your best bet and onyy hope is a rear ender and have a roll bar. Hopefully you'll survive if you don't get punted into the next county. grinning smiley

76lucas Avatar
Floyd, VA, USA   USA
1978 MG Midget 1500
Depends on what kind of shape it's in and what kind of wreck. A well sorted one is better than one that has had a poor repair job. Of course it an older small car with little safety features built in to it. My best guess would be 4 maybe 5 for one in good repair. I have seen some that were pretty well trashed and the drivers walked away. That said you don't want to flip it over.

In reply to # 3679447 by CarverBoldman Thanks for the insight guys!

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
I know of someone killed locally in a CB car while in the passenger seat. Apparently someone pulled out in front of then and...

eeesh, kinda scary....I was also thinking about getting a 1987 suzuki Samurai, but apparently, those are super bad if you get in a wreck....I like the MG look better anyway...kinda..eh, ok, there both my favorites..

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 MG MGB GT Special

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links