AutoShrine Sponsor

randykieling Avatar
randykieling Randy Kieling
Grants Pass, OR, USA   USA
1957 Renault Next "Pierre"
1959 Morris Minor 1000 "Branson"
1960 MG MGA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite    & more
In reply to # 2553333 by Stringbean317 Great pics, was there any difference in grill size between the older models and yours? Or did the pices fit into the opening without a hitch?

once you cut off the bumper brackets the old style grill slips right in
randy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
parisric Avatar
parisric ric paris
port charlotte, FL, USA   USA
1979 MG Midget "Ezmarelda"
randy are those lens covers customized by you or off a particular yr. ?

randykieling Avatar
1960 MG MGA
That is custom by Randy. I get a wild hair and do crazy things to my cars. Sometimes it works sometimes I fail but I have enough parts cars I can fix what I screw up.
Randy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
parisric Avatar
parisric ric paris
Great job on the lights, hints please and how much would you want for the corner pieces ?

jamesm5858 Avatar
jamesm5858 James Moore
Kent, OH, USA   USA
See my post with the Sabrinas link. It will be a rear three quarter view of my rear split bumpers. cool smileyJM

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I'm the only one in my circle of MG folks who has an affection for the Sabrinas. But, given a choice of rubber bumper or chrome I'm not sure I would add Sabrinas to a later car when there are tons of chrome bumpers with diminutive overriders available. The unsprung weight noticeably affects the performance of the car, perhaps more so than the later snout which is at least more aerodynamic.

79powerwagon Avatar
79powerwagon Eric L
Hubertus, WI, USA   USA
I've seen mention (several times) that removing the rubber bumpers is something in the neighborhood of a150 pound weight savings. Is this accurate??? I might do it just for that reason alone! grinning smiley

jamesm5858 Avatar
jamesm5858 James Moore
Kent, OH, USA   USA
They are definitely quite heavy, but I have no idea what they weigh.

littlecars Avatar
littlecars David Bassett
Nashville, TN, USA   USA
1965 Chevrolet Corvair "Ski Team Transport SOLD!"
1965 MG Midget MkII "Buffoon"
1966 MG Midget MkII "Swiss Cheese"
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Tamara's Turd... SOLD!!!"    & more
I was told about 50-60lbs for bumpers with Sabrinas. No idea about the 1500 rubber bumpers but someone on here documented how they kept the outer skins and reduced the weight inside by taking the guts out as an experiment. About a year a go.

randykieling Avatar
1960 MG MGA
In reply to # 2553449 by parisric Great job on the lights, hints please and how much would you want for the corner pieces ?

if i get a chance i will head out to my parts cars this week and see what is out there
Randy

parisric Avatar
parisric ric paris
Randy that would be great, let me know what you find and we'll go from there. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
ric

parisric Avatar
parisric ric paris
the rubber bumpers do weigh roughly 150. lb's together. no doubt plus extra brackets needed to hold them in place. I still have and should weigh them just for the heck of it. This is something else I would like to address because it also deals with removing the bumper. I am concerned about the safety of the gas tank after the removal of the bumper. I am planning on welding in the trunk a support system of tubing to give strength to that area in case of impact. I would be willing to bet someone has already thought of this would love to see there designs, pic's. I was thinking of 2 inch tubing bent and welded to frame inside the trunk. This has been one of my major concerns about loosing the bumper, especially the rear.

parisric Avatar
parisric ric paris
In reply to # 2556230 by randykieling
In reply to # 2553449 by parisric Great job on the lights, hints please and how much would you want for the corner pieces ?

if i get a chance i will head out to my parts cars this week and see what is out there
Randy
Randy I was wondering if you have found out anything.

79powerwagon Avatar
79powerwagon Eric L
Hubertus, WI, USA   USA
Any of you folks who are removing your rubber bumpers have a NICE rear (cover only, don't need the added shipping weight of the reinforcement) they would like to sell? I thought mine was nice, then discovered a BIG crack in it, and I am going to keep the rubber bumper on the rear. Shoot me a PM please! smiling smiley

PeterC Avatar
PeterC Platinum Member Peter Caldwell
Madison Wisconsin, USA   USA
PM sent

Peter C

Member Services:
Supplying New Old Stock parts for all imports. A LARGE quantity being loaded to our EBAY store stores.ebay.com/worldwideimportautoparts Rebuilding lever shock absorbers for British cars. (800)362-1025 M-F 9-5 Central or parts@nosimport.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster